Article: Drake breaks Beatles record with 7 of the Top 10 songs on Billboard Hot 100 chart*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bosto, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

The good thing about the charts is that it is an indication of what music to avoid. Because it seems that the worst music tops the charts. So the charts are not all that bad.

2. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

How often do I listen to Drake? Whenever it's playing on the radio in a store I'm in, or if I have to for work. Don't actually care for his stuff myself.

But it's weird that you think it's an either-or thing. Why do you think people who listen to music by current artists *only* listen to music by current artists? In the last couple days, I've listened to the new albums by The Ex, Speedy Ortiz and Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, but I've also listened to a 12" by Visage that I bought when I was 13 and one of my wife's Jean Ritchie albums. Why would I do otherwise? That viewpoint is mystifying.

e.s., SITKOL'76, Ted Dinard and 2 others like this.
  3. Danby Delight

And there it is.

e.s. likes this.
  4. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

Was big for a while on Seinfeld.

5. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I don't get Drake's appeal as a singer, either, but who cares?

I agree that it doesn't make sense to compare someone's chart achievements today to those of people whose achievements occurred when the chart methodology was radically different. That being said, who cares? Why should anyone here care who holds what record on any given chart? If suddenly the top 10 charting artists were all from 2000-onwards does that take anything away from the actual music that came before? No.

Either Billboard had to change their methodology and simply stop ranking hits. I think their formula for today makes sense even though it does mean that the numbers of today aren't really equivalent to the numbers from previous decades. Compare Drake's chart performance to his contemporaries and it's undoubtedly impressive. Not everyone gets people to download and stream so many of their songs at the same time, and that's what this is about.

Memph likes this.
  6. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

The Beatles were OK and all, but I was looking for the next Sinatra.

Still waiting folks....still waiting.

e.s., Nostaljack, Diamond Dog and 2 others like this.
  7. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Well, he is one of the four or five biggest selling, most popular, most influential music artists of the decade. And this isn't the first album of his which has resulted it 20+ songs of his hitting the Hot 100 at the same time and he's already had an 8 year career with every one of his 5 official albums and his last three mixtapes, which really were also original albums, topping both the R&B, Pop and Hip-Hop charts, four of 'em going 4X platinum another one going 2X platinum others going 1X platinum.

He does game the system -- puts out albums with lots of songs which result in lots of songs streams which drives up the Album Equivalent Units number, and he is very aggressive have about making sure he gets his RIAA certs (he is the "most certified singles artist ever, with 142 million total units"). But that's his business, literally, that's how he makes a living, can't fault him for that.

The reality is he's super popular and a leading light in hip-hop, even though he's kind of the opposite of cool and hip. Hipsters make fun of Drake, which is why it's so funny to see people on this thread who have no idea what they're talking about compare Drake, a 31-year-old rapper, to a white teen heartthrob like Justin Bieber; or to suggest he's here-today-gone-tomorrow (the guy has already had a career as long as The Beatles' was); or to suggest that his remarkable 8 year record of chart dominance is designed to fool hipsters!?! (Hipsters don't listen to popular music, everybody knows that, the less popular, the hipper. Hipsters ridicule Drake.)

What I don't understand is why people think it's cute or clever or a badge of honor to come on here and announce their ignorance. It's not any more impressive or cute than when someone's parents in 1969, almost a decade into the Beatles career (and when they were actually on the verge of breaking up) said, "Who are these Beatles, I never heard of them, should I get out my bug spray? They play music? Can't be as good as Peggy Lee's."

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Gaslight, Memph, SITKOL'76 and 6 others like this.
  8. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Common theme with him and if I recall Jeatleboe as well. Plus a few others from time to time, it's quite interesting to read.

I'll listen to Drake and The Beatles in one sitting and.....no thunderstorms of tsunamis. No zombie apocalypse. No crossing of the streams. It's just music folks.

Nostaljack likes this.
  9. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

To touch on what you mentioned about Album Equivalent Units, wouldn't it make more sense to base it on minutes listened to instead of how is now?

10. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

No, I don't think from a revenue to copyright holder POV that you have to listen to X minutes of a song for it to generation one stream's worth of revenue for copyright holders. I suspect the AEU and other similar calculations is to make the revenue generated by X number of streams in some way comparable to the revenue generated by X number of sales. They're not measuring audience engagement the way say a website might.

11. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

But why so frothy about the charts to begin with ? When I listen to Abbey Road, I don't sit and think about how it charted on Billboard. I think about what a fantastic record it is. How does it cheapen the Beatles' achievements when Drake and Yeezy's management teams decide to have a whizzing contest on the Billboard charts ? As some guy once wrote, " it's "nothing to get hung about."

D.D.

Nostaljack and Tristero like this.
  12. Diamond Dog

Line forms to the right.

D.D.

13. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Ok, so we should avoid The Beatles? Because those suckers were always on the charts.

14. Diamond Dog

And that's why today's artists suck... so... bad. When I listen to Badfinger or Grand Funk or Gary Puckett and the Union Gap there's zombie herds crossing streams during tsunami thunder. Every time. With Adele ? Nada. Zilch.

Such a letdown, lemme tells ya...

D.D.

Gaslight likes this.
  15. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

As often the case, there's nothing wrong with acknowledging that both lines of (rational) thinking can be valid here.

In other words, this is my take on this news:

I take my hat off to Drake and respect the achievements his tracks and albums have garnered, regardless of Billboard's always-changing charting policies.

Personally, his music does little for me. Hand me my copy of Rubber Soul!

See. It's easy. Both views are completely legitimate. :D

Gaslight, bosto and Diamond Dog like this.
  16. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

I'm 53 and have never stopped staying current with Top 40. Now I'm wondering at what point I crossed over from being one of the young people to "relating" to them.

But wait! In my youth I listened to a lot of music from my dad's youth, so when I play '50s stuff am I falling back on my youth or dad's youth?

I'm so confused. I'm going to go listen to some Cardi B and pretend I'm 19 again.

17. Danby Delight

Don't forget the bizarre concept that those of us who listen to new music must only be listening to whatever's currently in the Top 40. I'm 49 and the last year that I could find all my favorite new music via Casey Kasem was 1978: once I discovered the freeform FM station in town, I pretty much stopped listening to KIMN, Denver's AM Top 40 powerhouse.

Tristero likes this.
  18. Ted Dinard

Ted Dinard Forum Resident

So is that Rolling Blackouts record worth digging into? I've just heard "Talking Straight" on the radio which I find easy (maybe a little too easy?) to like.

19. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Writing "Drake" and "Beatles" in the same sentence should be a crime

bherbert likes this.
  20. SF Georgie

SF Georgie Forum Resident

Thread summary:
    "Drake's achievement is not equivalent", "I don't really know who Drake is", "I doubt that Drake's music will be remembered like The Beatles".
    All this is supposedly crying compared to, "Not an achievement?", "You must be a liar if you don't know who he is", "You are acting like your parents, you don't know what you're talking about". The latter quotes are the ones that are overreacting.

EddieMann, MikeVielhaber and nosliw like this.
  21. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

They can't create anything, they just sample (stole).

colgems1966 and bherbert like this.
  22. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Objectively, this is the worst period in popular music ever

23. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

So what's wrong with acting like our parents did? It's the normal thing when you reach certain age. Not to pretend you're a teenage kid when you're 40 in order to be "hip"

DHamilton and colgems1966 like this.
  24. colgems1966

colgems1966 PhD in Les Pauls and Telecasters

Haha I see this is still going on.

Hip hop is not music. No one plays instruments no one sings.

Streaming is not akin to physical media sales.

It is ridiculous to compare his “achievement “ to the pop culture earthquake the Beatles created.

DHamilton, Sear and bherbert like this.
  25. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

But simply listening to music doesn't necessarily mean you want to be anything in particular.

I became a Lightnin' Hopkins fan as a teen, but that didn't mean I wanted to be a septuagenarian.

Paul McCartney was the same age Drake is now when he recorded "Band On The Run", and I was 9. When I listen today at 53 I'm not trying to be a mid-70s hipster.

If I put on "Don't Be Cruel" I'm listening to a 21 year old. That's acceptable but listening to someone who's 21 right now is posturing?

I don't get it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.