50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

We're waiting for it's 50th anniversary... :magoo:

nasa09, Ed Hughes, ODIrony and 3 others like this.
  2. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Heaven forbid we go 2.5 hours without posting in a Beatles thread where there won't be any news/announcements for a few months. ;)

Ed Hughes and tinnox like this.
  3. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Posts have gone down the past few days and I really had to search for the thread. But when there's an official announcement (I assume some months from now) this thread will probably be on the front page for a few weeks like the Pepper thread was last year.

tinnox likes this.
  4. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

5. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

It’s because John Lennon criticized it (or was annoyed by how long it took to record). Everyone else just piled on.

It’s a great song.

Dean R, jammincrowe, supermd and 4 others like this.
  6. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I like the White album just the way it is. John Lennon could be a "contrarian" and I sometimes think he just liked to hear himself talk. I would never let anything he ever said convince me one way or another that something was either good or not.

Ed Hughes, DeYoung, supermd and 3 others like this.
  7. maxwell2323

maxwell2323 Forum Resident

It's okay...sooner or later we all will face this problem.

:)

jammincrowe, ODIrony and tinnox like this.
  8. maxwell2323

maxwell2323 Forum Resident

We are all waiting for that post where someone mentions something about Bernard Purdie.

ODIrony and tinnox like this.
  9. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

Didn't he play the drums on USSR and Dear Prudence?

maxwell2323, ODIrony and tinnox like this.
  10. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Two words: World Cup…

nasa09, petem1966, ODIrony and 2 others like this.
  11. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

No hard feelings evident just a few months later:

For 50 years people have been carrying this resentment? Maybe some people just don't like it (I love it!).

zobalob, nasa09, Ed Hughes and 8 others like this.
  12. Diamond Star Halo

One thing I like about Ob La Di is that even though it is an uptempo pop song, the version on the White Album still manages to sound as creepy/sinister as the other material on the record. It certainly doesn’t sound like “granny music.”

13. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

It's the cover being black & white (inside gatefold), I tell you - along with the typography, giving everything that : funereal : vibe :

Listening to it while looking at this, it's a psychedelic masterpiece!:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  14. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Stepping out of lurk mode to mention a couple obscure items on my White Album 50th wish list...

-footage of the sessions shot by John with his new 16mm camera.

-2 reels of While My Guitar Gently Weeps rehearsals (full band) recorded at Abbey Road prior to Take 1 of the solo version issued on A3.

15. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Any other songs that we know of with radically different studio arrangements from the final master that could exist still in the can?

We know of many band takes of While My Guitar Gently Weeps without Clapton (all unreleased).
    We know of early versions of Good Night with Ringo singing over piano (Anthology 3), and another with Ringo singing to John playing guitar (unreleased).
    We know about Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da (Anthology 3).

What else?

A studio recorded acoustic version of Dear Prudence would be amazing to get! *wish list

tinnox likes this.
  16. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

How do we know about unreleased band takes of WMGGW?! :confused:

tinnox likes this.
  17. beatleroadie

Because Clapton was brought in on a remake of the song. They'd been trying it some as a foursome, and George wasn't happy with the effort or attention John and Paul were putting into it, so he brought Clapton in to play on the song and encourage the band to put its best feet forward with Clapton around, and they redid the song. Clapton wasn't brought in when the song was completely recorded, just without a solo... Unless the early takes without Clapton were wiped, it stands to reason that there are takes and rehearsals still existing of the fab four playing the song in the studio.

18. Morton LaBongo

I think Lewisohn mentions it in his book. The band did a "full" version of the song, apparently with overdubs that included a backwards guitar solo (if I remember correctly). This was all put aside when they did a totally different final version with Clapton on lead.

nasa09, ODIrony, Beatle Ed and 6 others like this.
  19. Diamond Star Halo

The 27 minute take of Helter Skelter.

Revolution 20.

ODIrony, tinnox and beatleroadie like this.
  20. beatleroadie

How many minutes of the 27 minute Helter skelter will we get? Can they make it a download only on a card with a code? That would be awesome to get the full 27 minutes that way at the very least.

21. Chris M

The 2 reels of rehearsal takes I mentioned are listed John Barrett notes and briefly mention in the Recording Sessions book. Presumably George kept these reels in his archive as they are not at Abbey Road.

Josip, tinnox and beatleroadie like this.
  22. Morton LaBongo

I've heard so many people mention the 27-minute Helter Skelter that now I'm actually kind of hoping to hear it myself. Or part of it anyways. I don't really think it's all that different from the version that we heard on Anth 3, but if it's the fast version like the official release, that would be awesome! Like The Beatles going thrash-metal for just one song.

tinnox likes this.
  23. DeYoung

DeYoung Forum Resident

I like the 'Mother Nature's Son' session tape where Paul's in the studio, with John on the talkback, and they're discussing a brass band for the song. "A little bit of Nilsson's brass band," John suggests. Its on "Gone Tomorrow, Here Today," I think.

tinnox likes this.
  24. Chris M

I suspect the 27 minute version will be more interesting than people realize. Interesting that all 4 Beatles requested and took home rough mixes of it after the session. I imagine a tighter version of Take 2 (which I love) with a fantastic Paul vocal.

25. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

Let's hope that Apple is finally taking cues from other bands and will put digital downloads to good use with this new box set.

The limitations of a CD shouldn't get in the way of bringing long awaited material to diehard fans.