Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

The way you describe Nelsons Bruckner is how I feel about much of his Brahms set. Although the sound quality and playing is superb, parts of it are just too slow and lacking in forward motion to me. I guess that's what they mean by lack of pulse. And I agree on the Shostakovich, I have and enjoy the Symphonies 5, 8, and 9 disc with the Boston Symphony.

2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

If you're looking for a great Bruckner 7, get Haitink's 1979 Philips recording with the Concertgebouw Orchestra (his second recording of the 7th) or Karajan's 1989 DG recording with the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra; they're equally good in my opinion.

3. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I will take your word for it. Just ordered a copy of the 1979 Haitink Concertgebouw recording. I typically like the sound of Philips recordings from that period.

4. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

Can anyone tell me if these two releases differ from each other in any great way? I understand they are the same recording that Channel now produces under license from Philips/Universal.

Bartok: Bluebeard's Castle. Polgar/Komlosi/Fischer, Budapest Festival Orchestra.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

ToddBD likes this.
  5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

They're the same recording, so why should there be any difference? Channel Classics reissued a lot of Iván Fischer's Philips recordings.

6. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Brahms Violin Sonata 3. Paul Kochanski's tone is wonderful and he plays this piece so well.

[​IMG]

vanhooserd and George P like this.
  7. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I really love those first 35 or so volumes from that collection. I own them all in the original booklet style cases.

hvbias likes this.
  8. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

They are wonderful! The early volumes beautifully transferred by Ward Marston with all the tonal brilliance.

9. George P

Yes, and those cool liner notes, printed in a classy font on thick paper. First class stuff.

I own the complete box, too, but held onto the original, individual issues of the mono recordings for the notes. Shame they didn't include them in the complete box. Some great stories in there.

hvbias likes this.
  10. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Between the older box/individual volumes and the newer box is there a generalization to what years of Rubinstein's recordings were added to the latter?

11. George P

I think the new box only added some live CDs at the end.

hvbias likes this.
  12. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

I am wondering if it is a different mastering or if the processing differs in any significant way. Some labels will just license and do a straight re-issue, some labels will do their own mastering. I don’t know the nature of what Channel Classics does, but I didn’t know they had released Fischer’s other Philips recordings. Thanks for that info.

In particular it seemed strange to me that Channel would reissue a recording from a major label that is only a few years old. The original Philips releases don’t even seem to be that hard to find. I wonder what the rationale was?

13. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

I believe Channel Classics is run largely by people left stranded when Philips folded, so they would have been involved in those recent recordings. For that same reason I suspect the reissues are not using different masterings than the original Philips editions.

JuniorMaineGuide likes this.
  14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Actually, Philips didn't fold, Universal Music discontinued the Philips label after they had acquired it and they are reissuing Philips recordings on Decca and licensing Philips recordings to labels like Channel Classics.

https://www.channelclassics.com/

» About Channel Classics

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    JuniorMaineGuide likes this.
  15. Åke Bergvall

Aren't "fold" and "discontinue" synonyms? My point was simply that Philips no longer produces new recordings, and that some of their staff are now working for Chanell Classics, or did I get that wrong? Living in the Netherlands, I'm sure you know the ins and outs better than me.

crispi likes this.
  16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

According to the Oxford Dictionary to fold means to collapse, cease to function or go bankrupt, which wasn't the case here. Universal discontinued or, maybe better, withdrew the label after acquiring it, which is a different thing.

I know some of the Philips Classics staff are now working for other labels, but I don't know which ones exactly.

Channel Classics Records - Wikipedia

17. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Some discussion in the other thread prompted me to listen to this double CD set (just symphony 4), West Germany late 80s pressing. I also listened to the Brahms first Cello Sonata from the disc pictured on the previous page; one of my favorite performances for that.

[​IMG]

18. Thomas R

Thomas R Forum Resident

It was staff from Philips who started Pentatone.

19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

PENTATONE | The music label for classical music

PENTATONE | the music label for classical music

20. Åke Bergvall

Thanks for the correction. I was obviously misremembering which of the two excellent Dutch companies had the Philips connection. As a surround afficinado I rate both Pentatone and Channel Classics highly.

21. drh

drh Talking Machine

Anybody have opinions about their cycle in mono?

22. 6138

6138 Forum Resident

I think discontinue and cease to function are the same, or not? So, they are indeed synonyms...

23. George P

Folks, can we please drop the off topic English semantic discussion and get back to the topic, Classical Music?

Thanks

24. George P

Havent heard it, but i know it is highly regarded.

25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

No,in this case they're not, but I'm not going into that any further. I forgot that going off-topic, if only for a second or two, is strictly not allowed here. Sorry about that.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018