Opeth - "In Cauda Venenum" - September 2019*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by four sticks, Jul 12, 2018.

1. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member Thread Starter

OPETH Is Working On 'Complex' And 'Energetic' New Album

OPETH guitarist Fredrik Åkesson has confirmed to FaceCulture that the band has commenced the songwriting process for the follow-up to 2016's "Sorceress" album. "We're very much into the demoing," he said (see video below). I've recorded a lot of solos so far. And Mikael [Åkerfeldt, guitar/vocals] has almost already written 12 songs for the new album, so we have more material than enough for an album. But I think we will at least try to finish 15 songs. So hopefully we'll work on song ideas very soon."

According to Åkesson, OPETH is hoping to release its 13th studio album in the first quarter of 2019. "I'm not sure if it's gonna happen, but we're working towards that, and the songwriting goes very well," he said. "Mikael has been very productive these last… since January, basically. We did the last touring for Sorceress in November."

Regarding the musical direction of the new OPETH material, Fredrik said: "Compared to the last three albums, I would say, if I can reveal anything, this album is more complex, more energetic, and I think it's gonna be something."

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  2. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

I'm looking forward to this. Love the band's output since they quit growling :p

3. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Me too, although I do also love the albums just before they dropped all the growls too. Albums like Ghost Reveries and Watershed are among their best, IMO. Lots of mellotron on those albums too.

I hope the mix is a little less muddy than Sorceress.

GodShifter, warewolf95, Plan9 and 5 others like this.
  4. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

5. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I hope they move a slightly different direction away from 'Sorceress', that is the first album of theirs that left me underwhelmed with the songs and production. If anything I hope they get Steven Wilson back at the mixing helm if he is not too busy.

6. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

I like Watershed a lot. Maybe I'll give Ghost Reveries a listen. Thanks for the advice.

7. Cornfed Hick

Cornfed Hick Forum Resident

Totally agree. Though I think that puts us in the minority among Opeth fans...

mark winstanley and progmanjum like this.
  8. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

+1

Victor Martell and mando_dan like this.
  9. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Can't wait to see what they do next. I think my favorite albums are damnation and deliverance and ghost reveries. There's not one I don't like though. I wonder what happened with that red rocks show they recorded last may...

danielbravo likes this.
  10. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I loved Damnation and Heritage, Pale Communion I have yet to make up my mind on, Sorceress left me somewhat underwhelmed. I'll be very interested to see where they go next. As long as there's no growls. Opeth are one band who I hope do NOT go "back to basics."

JoeF. likes this.
  11. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I don't think doing some growls is going back to basics... They should only do it if it fits though. An album like watershed and ghost reveries have growls but is anything but basics. Some of their most beautiful songs and vocals are on those albums which also contain some of the best death metal vocals ever or growls lol . As wonderful as heritage is it is much more basic..

kannibal and Barnabas Collins like this.
  12. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Perhaps I should rephrase my post then - I hope they do not go back to growling.I know lots of the fans love it, but growling is not what I want to hear when I listen to music.

13. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I don't see how you see it as just growling. He never growled like other cheesy death metal bands. Listen to bleak... Amazing vocals death and smooth alike. Most tasteful talented growl I ever heard. I don't really like death metal or cookie monster vocals at all. Infact I don't really listen to other growls but I always loved the way Opeth used both vocal styles from inception with such depth and skill in the same song.

14. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

We enter the period now where Opeth throws out all sorts of descriptors for their music, most of which bare no resemblance to the finished product. As far back as Watershed, the way Mike described his music was far away from what the finished product was. It's not a gripe, more a warning that the first single will be quite different to A: the album and B: the bands descriptors of the songs.

15. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member Thread Starter

Pale Communion is among my favorites by Opeth, I think it's their best album since Ghost Reveries. I was also pretty underwhelmed with Sorceress initially, but it was a grower and took quite a bit of time before it really clicked with me. Now I really enjoy it.

deredordica, JoeF. and Rapid Fire like this.
  16. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Respectfully, I completely feel the other way. As you well know, Mikael had his soft passages on most albums and Damnation was a masterpiece. I have had a hard time getting into the last 3 and I have tried. I love early Opeth but I also respect their right to go whatever direction they choose.

It just have not clicked with me at all.

17. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Dear Mikael,

Growl or don't growl; that's fine by me. However, please can you give more attention to the production, mix, mastering this time? Sorceress didn't really meet your high standards did it... Oh, and releasing your album in several different 'limited' formats including a multitude of different coloured vinyl editions only devalues your work and harms your excellent reputation.

Yours sincerely,

ceddy10165 and danielbravo like this.
  18. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

That's ok by me.
    Maybe I need to revise my statement. I don't enjoy excessive growling but in the case of Opeth it's different just because of that amazing voice of Mikael's. I love Damnation and Deliverance a lot - I have both versions. The later albums are just more to my liking.
    Now I'm looking forward to Ghost Reveries that I expect to get today...recommended by forum member Barnabas Collins.

vinylphile and Todd W. like this.
  19. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

You’re not alone...

20. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Opeth is the only band I like that does (did) death growls regularly. That said, they were always done well, but I am okay if they continue to not do them. Damnation and Pale Communion have no growls, and I consider those two of their best five albums along with Still Life, Ghost Reveries and Blackwater Park.

And I totally agree about Sorceress sounding too muddy (although that seemed to vary from song to song). Opeth's albums usually sound great, so it was odd for them to suddenly get a little weird with the sound. I still like the album, but I didn't get a lot of mileage out of it.

That said, they are an auto-buy for me, so bring on a new album!

danielbravo, JakeM and Deuce66 like this.
  21. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

If you enjoy GR you should give Blackwater Park and Still Life a good listen, both are excellent.

22. George Co-Stanza

Gun to my head, I think Ghost Reveries is their best. It has a ton of variety, and the overall album has a very warm feel to it. Tremendous.

Antmanbee, vinylphile and four sticks like this.
  23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Same here :righton:.

Look at this body of work - one of the best in metal, lots of variety and a very high standard of quality. Twelve studio albums in and not one I would consider a dud (at worst maybe a 3 1/2 star effort) and no shortage of 4-5 star efforts, I don't think I can say that about anybody else.

Orchid
    Morningrise
    My Arms your Hearse
    Still Life
    Blackwater Park
    Deliverance
    Damnation
    Ghost Reveries
    Watershed
    Heritage
    Pale Communion
    Sorceress

24. George Co-Stanza

I can ;), but that minor quibble aside, they have an impressive discography, not just for the quality of the music, but when you look back and see the changes in sound they have made over the years.

Deuce66 likes this.
  25. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I haven’t dug too deep into the Opeth discography, but I’m pretty excited for this release. I’ve enjoyed all their prog rock albums (as well as the metal ones I’ve heard), and the description of their new direction sounds promising. The members’ clear enthusiasm even in this nearly stage is particularly exciting.

ceddy10165 and Deuce66 like this.