Rami Malek is Freddie Mercury in "Bohemian Rhapsody"*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Sep 5, 2017.

1. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

I know I do, so do my best girlfriends Pats and Eddie

"Who dies in their own vomit these days"??

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Ha ! That new trailer is a camp classic, dude looks no way like Freddie. No doubt the music will sell it.

3. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

The second trailer was released today.

I still don't think Rami Malek particularly looks like Freddie, but he kinda acts like him and he's got the speaking voice right (maybe not quite flippant enough, but then we can only see so much atm). I think it'll be fine.

4. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Thanks for this post. I am quite moved by this trailer. It isn't about looking exactly like a person, it is about becoming him as an actor.

Al Pacino doesn't really look like Frank Serpico either.

Vinyl_Blues, enro99, Murph and 2 others like this.
  5. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

You're welcome.

Yes, I know. I am quite surprised how well he's pulled off Freddie's speaking voice.

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  6. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

As good as he is, the guy playing Brian is outstanding!

7. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Actually I was just thinking that too. I am stoked for this movie!

8. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Same. I'll be pre-booking my tickets.

9. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Oh boy, that We Will Rock You scene is all wrong! Freddie with a mustache...in 1977?! A bunch of people standing around clapping and stomping? Good lord...

Lost In The Flood and Scott222C like this.
  10. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Yeah, a lot of people are unhappy that 1977 Freddie looks more like 1982 Freddie.

Michael Rose likes this.
  11. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I am not expecting historical accuracy from this movie. It's already been mentioned that Freddie will find out that he's ill before Live Aid (in reality, he got his diagnosis in spring '87, two years after Live Aid). It's entertainment for the masses, so I'll take it for what it is. There's documentaries and books for accuracy. The Doors movie wasn't accurate either, but it made for decent entertainment.

Simon A and Sammy Waslow like this.
  12. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I hope the movie doesn't focus solely on their more poppy radio hits. Let's not forget "Keep Yourself Alive," "Ogre Battle," "The Prophet's Song," etc.

13. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

It may be unfair judging anything solely from a trailer, but I tried ignoring how the actors looked and zeroed in on the dialogue. Whoa Nelly.

Again, probably unfair as trailers tend to concentrate on sound bites to illustrate quick plot points, but honestly the dialogue seems incredibly surface level. This recent trailer does nothing to instill confidence within me, I'm afraid.

sunspot42 likes this.
  14. Zach Johnson

I hate that though, because then the masses come to believe it. And Live Aid takes on a whole new meaning, which isn't actually there. It's a shame really.

15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Trailers take liberties. Maybe these errors will remain in the final film, but wait until it comes out to judge the movie's accuracy...

Simon A likes this.
  16. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

That said, the film will gain Queen more fans, then those fans will find out what really happened through documentaries/books etc. Plus, older fans will set them straight on the internet.

Vinyl_Blues and Murph like this.
  17. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

STOMPING? You can see their feet? It is a fact that the clapping took place because it was during Radio Ga Ga. Dude it is a trailer and if you notice, We Will Rock You is placed throughout the trailer. Not saying they wouldn't do this, but a bunch of people "stomping" at a concert is the least of my worries.

As far as when Freddie knew when he had aids, well it is still second hand information. I will judge the movie when I see it. History is often screwed in biopics. Don't get me started on Straight Outta Compton, however it is about the big picture. If it is a good movie that gets people thinking, that is what is important.

18. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

I had this pointed out to me earlier too. This is the trailer scene where Brian is saying he wants to write a song people can sing, and demonstrates the stomp/stomp/clap from Rock You. Freddie in this scene looks straight off of the Play The Game cover and thus would be wildly incorrect for the era.

There's a few other goofs that have been mentioned elsewhere but this one's on the level of Kilmer-as-Morrison lunging at the camera during the Ed Sullivan "Light My Fire" in the Doors movie. Otherwise I'm impressed.

19. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

And that is a good example. Few people really care about the Door inaccuracies. They love the feel of the movie more. I truly appreciate the movie and it is one that I spin every so often without a care in the world to it being perfect to life...same as Saving Private Ryan, American Made, Star 80...etc...

Vinyl_Blues and Sondek like this.
  20. Another detail that appears to be historically inaccurate is the suggestion that Fat Bottomed Girls was on a setlist in 1974, despite not being written until the Jazz sessions four years later. This entire movie appears to be playing fast and loose with the facts, though I suspect it's being made for casual Queen fans instead of the hardcore few capable of even noticing such anachronisms as when Freddie grew a moustache or received his AIDS diagnosis... Indeed, most of what QPL seems to release these days caters more to the wider audience. Speaking of crowds, I do at least get shivers watching those brief scenes of Live Aid, and it's great to see the band's earlier stage designs recreated with such accuracy!

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  21. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

That was in some promotional material and shouldn't be present in the film itself. I guess we'll see. Not as bothered by that.

22. Zach Johnson

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say...

23. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Can you be more specific about what you don't understand?

24. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

This is coming across as a celebration of Queen, the triumphs and the tragedies. If anything it will be entertaining for Queen fans, personally I'm not looking at this as some type of micro managed/researched biography of their career and I don't think that's intention of the creators at all.

Vinyl_Blues and Murph like this.
  25. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

The whole things reminds me of VH1's "Hysteria" - The Def Leppard story