Cds demise, or not?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Technocentral, Jul 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Not much there, Cds are no more going away than vinyl or downloads, long tail options for long tail repeat buyers.

3. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

Don’t let a crappy big box store who hires goofs to sling cell plans and BS Geek Squad extra service warranties define whether or not a format is dead.

My indie store sent an email. CDs are dead to them? Screw em! They’re not dead to us. We give you options...

4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

5. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

I'm so sick of people conflating CDs and CD-Rs, especially in terms of reliability/durability.

6. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

Considering the amount of CDs I pack to be shipped to customers all over the country, it’s apparent that some customers didn’t get the memo.

If CDs are dead then why are we still able to sell them in large quantities?

mooseman, Grand_Ennui, Tim 2 and 39 others like this.
  7. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

CDs are far from dead. They will bury us before CDs disappear.

8. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Seems once a week this has been coming up :sigh:
    I'm a multi-format guy, and I don't see the cool shiny disc going anywhere soon :)
    [​IMG]

9. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

Oh dear oh my, I hope somebody lets those poor people at Amazon know that Best Buy is cutting back their CD sections - they'll be thrown into a blind panic. Another useless article.

wilejoe, Ridin'High, ispace and 4 others like this.
  10. G00dVibrations

G00dVibrations Forum Resident

11. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

I'm can't wait for the CD renaissance. Looking forward to the return of the longbox.

12. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

CD News Articles: Informative Insightful Information or Cringeworthy ClickBait ?

13. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    rxcory and Sean like this.
  14. Thank you!

lightbulb likes this.
  15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'm a total vinyl diehard and have bought records for almost all my life. I also like CDs a lot. I've never got that CD sounds inferior to vinyl in any way. I think both formats sound fantastic and are both also very variable, but I keep reading recently that CDs were never very good and sound inferior. It's absolute bollocks!

16. Pirate CD’s and fake news have a lot in common.

17. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Can someone please PM me when this thread goes down the ever-loving CD vs vinyl route?

Saves me keep checking back.

Thanks.

:D

18. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

It is strange (or stupid -- take your pick). I have CD's pressed in the mid-1980s -- 30+ years old now -- that play identically to the way they did then.

CD-R's are another story altogether.

I prefer vinyl records most of the time, but I still play CDs and you've got to hand it to the CD -- it has the durability game beat over records and tapes, hands down. Always has.

19. EdogawaRampo

My post #18 almost fits the bill, sorta.

I should probably add that I've bought a bunch of CDs over the past month or so, just to balance things out. With CD prices tanking, it's a great time to be a buyer.

20. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Thanks for speeding up the process.

:D

21. MelodyFair

MelodyFair West Coast Suburban Hausfrau

Chocolate is good for you, chocolate is bad for you, CD's are gone! (2005) CD's are gone! (2018) :p

22. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

You mean - you will come back when it does? That's a gobsmacking amount of interested in such a moribund subject.

23. EdogawaRampo

You're very welcome!

But back to dipwad article -- sheesh. First, conflating CDs with CD-Rs. What's up with that?

Next, the idea that because a bunch of big-box retailers have decided it isn't worth it to have the big CD section anymore...so what? The reason I say that is:

Millions of CDs out there
    Millions of CD players (still being manufactured and sold)
    Millions of hybrid players capable of playing CDs
    Millions of computers with drives capable of playing CDs

On and on...

People predicted the demise of the vinyl record and it was in a far worse strategic position then than CDs are now. There was a wholesale shift away from the vinyl record format 1988~1992. Finding a newly pressed mass market record in 1991 or 2 was a rare find indeed. Yet, the format is still around.

It'll be the same for CD.

Funny. I remember a newspaper article from 1998 proclaiming the 'death of the cassette.' What was funny to me was that cassettes had been 'dead' for me forever. I think I bought perhaps 3 new pre-recorded cassettes during my entire lifetime (I'm 58). The format just didn't cut it for me (though I'd always been something of a fan of dubbing records to cassette).

All of these articles should be viewed 'for entertainment purposes only' if you ask me.

coepc, Grand_Ennui, wilejoe and 11 others like this.
  24. LoveYourLife

LoveYourLife Forum Resident

Love vinyl. Love the CD. Why settle for one or the other only?

Hammerpeg, NunoBento, Jrr and 17 others like this.
  25. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

There's something very smooth about that CD case.:shh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.