Filler-free double albums: are there any?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Robert, Jul 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StereoMan56

StereoMan56 Forum Resident

A lot of people will disagree with me on this, but I love everything on The White Album. Yes, even "Wild Honey Pie" and "Revolution No. 9". It's part of the (slightly bizarre) experience.

somnar, Frankh, no.nine and 14 others like this.
  2. StereoMan56

StereoMan56 Forum Resident

I don't know if live albums can count, but if so "Hot August Night" is another one.

puelche likes this.
  3. Snow2

Snow2 Forum Resident

I love Springsteen - but The River?

But for me the album is stuffed with filler (and great tracks)…

Sherry Darling (my least fav track of his - the good vibe feel seems so forced)
    I wanna Marry you - probably my least fav love song of the boss
    Crush on You, Cadillac Ranch, Out on the Streets - all seem really lightweight songs ….

Of course the the album is worth it just for The ties that bind, Independence Day and the River…etc

graveyardboots, duggan and Frosst like this.
  4. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

In the context of the times, I think Underture was absolutely necessary. "Hey, man, this isn't just rock n roll, it's Art! This isn't just an album, it's opera! It's serious!" While I find such sentiments silly, and it's one of the reasons I don't like the album, that was exactly where Townshend's ambitions lie in '69 and he achieved them. It made both the critics and public adjust their perception of the Who and they finally graduated to the first tier of rock royalty, financially speaking (the 70s cemented this but it began with Tommy)... Underture was essential to this. It set the mood for everything that followed.

Bananas&blow and Who'sTommy like this.
  5. dme105

dme105 Forum Resident

Some not mentioned yet

Opeth - Blackwater Park
    Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
    XTC - Nonsuch
    Anathema - Weather Systems

Bananas&blow, jazdoc and Frosst like this.
  6. sheffandy

sheffandy Forum Resident

Another vote for The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway plus

Exit Stage Left
    Yesshows

Frankh and Fishoutofwater like this.
  7. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

The Wall of course - not only there isn't any filler song, there isn't a single filler second!!
    Best double album and simply: best album ever (IMO of course ) :)

8. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Jamaican jerk off ?

100% filler imo

Rest of album is brilliant

somnar and Galactus2 like this.
  9. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

But what about Little Miss Strange?

Briskit and mcwlod like this.
  10. I wholeheartedly agree that EL is an album without filler, though in a historical context we know that "Come On Pt. 1" meets the true definition of filler in that it was recorded to fill up space on the album.

It's strange that Hendrix felt he needed a cover song to fill out actual space on the platter, when he had some other originals sitting in the can.

Nevertheless, I'm glad that we got "Come On Pt. 1."

So, in the strictest sense EL has one filler track, yet nothing on the album sounds imperfect nor out of place.

Roberto899 and Frosst like this.
  11. "Little Miss Strange" was very deliberate to give Noel a song on the album. Jimi wanted to give the album a "The Jimi Hendrix Experience" feel (at least at the time that it was recorded). Plus, Jimi plays his ass off on that track.

Purple Jim, Folknik, Tullman and 3 others like this.
  12. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Lou Reed: Take no prisoners
    Metal machine music

duggan and Flaming Torch like this.
  13. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
    Can - Tago Mago
    The Clash - London Calling
    Spiritualized - Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space
    Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Abattoir Blues/The Lyre Of Orpheus

LunarTunes and theholygoof like this.
  14. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

Actually, I'd tend to agree with this. Back in the day when I was into it, it was the one double album I had that I'd play from start to finish without getting that feeling that I'd have to wait a few of the songs out. Of course I've had many double albums since then, but with the exception of the live albums, this one has fond memories of being solid all the way through. Even the quirkier pieces make for an interesting atmosphere, as you've mentioned.

Odd that I'd been thinking about just this, for the last several weeks. Glad to have a chance to mention it.

somnar and StereoMan56 like this.
  15. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

I love it from start to finish but some might find Social Disease & Jamaica Jerk Off to be filleresque

16. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Electric Ladyland is damn close though depends how you view the two 1 minute sound paintings.

Blonde on blonde &
    Exile are close also

From left field i have no problem with:
    Layla and other assorted love songs

The MEZ and Frosst like this.
  17. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

The Cure - Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me

Goatsnake - I + Dog Days

Tool - Undertow

18. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Colony Of Slippermen is one of my favourite songs from the album, it's great, so I disagree.

19. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Marillion - Marbles

20. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

Re: Slippermen
    I always felt the intro was a sonic representation of the colony and its weird inhabitants. It sets you in the mood, from Rael's perspective. Like an imaginary soundtrack.Then the song proceeds with the narrative.
    It's not there just to fill a space, as Silent Sorrow is not. They managed to make it meaningful.

edenofflowers and Tristero like this.
  21. dme105

dme105 Forum Resident

Is length a factor here?

Does the listening time make you more prone to thinking an album has filler? If you are planning a listening session, would the fact a double takes the place of two singles mean it really has to justify its existence?

About 10% of my vinyl collection comprises double albums. I've always had a bit of a problem in favouring them over single albums (although more than 10% of my top 100 are doubles?) when it comes to playing vinyl (I see sitting down to play a record as an experience and I have limited time opportunities to do it).

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, feel like someone could write a masters thesis on this subject. I've done a quick check of my favourites and there are some interesting time points (to me anyway!). All timings approximate:

Doubles
    White Album - 94 minutes
    the Wall - 81 min
    Electric Ladyland - 76 min
    Blonde on Blonde - 72 min
    London Calling - 65 min

5 albums - 388 min

Singles (shortest in my favourites)

Solid Air - 35 min
    Odessey & Oracle - 35 min
    Gris Gris - 34 min
    Dusty in Memphis - 33 min
    Scott 4 - 33 min

5 albums - 170 minutes

So if I'm sitting down for a session, I could listen to the White Album, or (nearly) I could listen to Gris Gris, ... in Memphis and Scott 4. With that in mind, I'd really need to be in the mood for the White Album.

What about albums since the CD age? 80 minutes capacity on a CD means a tendency to try and fill it, which means that most new releases are double vinyl albums (or 3 sides and an etching!)

Of course it's absolutely up to the artist what they record and put out. We only have a say with our wallets and fandom. However I tend to want an artist I love to give me something beautiful that fits on one slab of vinyl and keeps my attention for around 40 minutes (unless I really love it and wish it had been a double...!).

I'll stop there...

chrisblower and Gavinyl like this.
  22. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

I don't think it's a matter of length.
    A 40 minute album can be half made of fillers and a double can have only one.

23. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

Hüsker Du - Zen Arcade

[​IMG]

24. WTF? SIOA!

intv7 likes this.
  25. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.