Soul Asylum

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cgw, Oct 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

I have a translucent blue vinyl copy of "The Horse They Rode in On". I've had it since the album was first released. Is that pretty common?

jeff kleinberg and Dodoz like this.
  2. Stones Blah

Stones Blah Forum Resident

I saw them open for Keith and the Winos. A great night from both bands.

JuanTCB and Dodoz like this.
  3. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

I always liked Grave Dancers Union. Also their cover of Victoria Williams' Summer of Drugs from Sweet Relief:

Dan C and Paul Gase like this.
  4. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

The first Lemonheads album is also VERY Hüsker Dü :) They had such an impact.

Funnily enough, i have a Lemonheads bootleg and Evan Dando said "stay tuned for Soul Asylum". They were on the same bill/tour.

Matisse and vamborules like this.
  5. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I wish I could have seen the face of the people working at A&M when "Grave Dancers Union" became a platinum selling album...on Columbia, after they dropped the band :D

6. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Made to Be Broken and Hang Time are both chock full of great songs. MtBB is more diverse with it's approach and thus gets my top spot.

This is a great outtake:

Dodoz and nodeerforamonth like this.
  7. Curwin

Curwin Well-Known Member

Always loved the guitar solo in Just like Anyone. Pure 90s lead

painted8 and JuanTCB like this.
  8. Greg(ory)

Greg(ory) Some Stupid With A Space Gun

ditto all of that, I was at the same show. I'd say they were THE BEST LIVE BAND ON THE PLANET from 1988-92. I think of Soul Asylum as contemporaries of those guys.

bonus fun facts:

1) Bob Mould produced Made To Be Broken

2) that is Soul Asylum frontman Dave Pirner yelling "**** you man" during the cops breaking up the party intro to the Replacements' "Kids Don't Follow" off the Stink EP. It was actually a recording of the cops breaking up a party.

9. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

10. jeff kleinberg

jeff kleinberg Senior Member

I like the Omnivore Twin/Tone tie up, I'm a big fan of the Chilton/Bell/BS releases they have been doing on vinyl. I'm a huge SA fan especially Horse and GDU. The new RSD live 2LP is insanely good, the quality is amazing and the performance is stellar. A must have IMHO.

11. jeff kleinberg

jeff kleinberg Senior Member

BTW just about everyone who posted on this thread is a "forum resident" says something

12. jc1303

jc1303 Forum Resident

I love Grave Dancers Union and some of the more commercial stuff that followed it.
    There are some tracks on the earlier albums that I like but Ive not heard those albums for years, might give them another listen.

When I was at school my band covered 'Somebody to Shove' from Grave Dancers Union, we werent terrible :D

seed_drill likes this.
  13. Bob C

Bob C Forum Resident

About 'Sometime To Return' from Hang Time...

The line “To you and all the f***ed up things you do” was changed to “To you and all the messed up things you do” for its music video and single (which was titled the 'clean version').

Was the 'clean version' released on CD?

14. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

It is on the promo 7" and 12" singles. I think it is on a in-store play retail sampler, maybe one from "Hits" magazine or CMJ. If i can put my hands on something, I'll let you know.

Loved those guys, saw them several times. They used to do a live version of "Rhinestone Cowboy" that was great. Also there is a radio session version of David doing "Bird On A Wire" that was a Detroit alt. radio favorite in the late 90's

Bob C likes this.
  15. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

These reissues seem like a great excuse for me to explore their early work.Long overdue. Looking forward to it!

A friend of mine grew up not very far from Dave Pirner. He held onto a flyer that Pirner would distribute to advertise his lawn mowing services. If memory serves (I hadn't seen it since the late 80's, so...), it included the following text:

The summer shall soon be here
    The grass will soon be growing
    I shall be around
    Eager to do the mowing

An early example of his rhyming prowess?

blind_melon1 and John Porcellino like this.
  16. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Anyone get the reissues? I got them on order. Via Amazon Prime, but for some reason, they're arriving in separate packages in another week.

Brenald79 likes this.
  17. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

When i heard runaway train in the 90s i bought the album. Listened to it. Somebody to shove I immediately loved. The intro sounded like sweet child o mine's cousin. Second track black gold was also very nice. And then.....nothing aside from runaway train. Tried to put it on a few times but had the same feeling.
    They just weren't my cup of tea.
    I just bought the singles of somebody to shove and runaway train and called it a day.

18. Bob C

Bob C Forum Resident

I found the Hits Post Modern Sampler (HT 001) and there it is! Thanks for the tip. One step closer to completing my Singles A-sides playlist. If they'd only release 'James at 16' on a CD I'd work on the b-sides too.

19. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

Huzzah, those are hard to find.
    I remember the sampler playing in the store right after it came in. My manager heard the song come on and was trotting to the back of the store to skip over it, to just to have one of the asst's tell her it was the edit.

20. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I’m interested in getting them. Looking forward to hearing how they are.

21. Sherman

Sherman Forum Resident

Yes! Great song and album. I thought they lost the plot after that one, in spite of some love here for Candy From A Stranger.

22. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Love 'me. Hang Time is an absolutely essential own in my book.

The one that often get's overlooked is 2006's The Silver Lining, which was a great return to form by them. It was the last album with original bassist Karl Mueller before his passing from cancer. It also contains one of Dave Pirner's best ever songs in "Lately".

The last two releases, Delayed Reaction (2012) (which has killer rocker in the opening cut "Gravity") and Change Of Fortune (2016) were decent, as well, even if the latest only features Pirner from the original band.

Smack likes this.
  23. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

On 11/30/18, Omnivore will release their final (unless we get a largely redundant Time's Incinerator) expanded reissue of the Twin/Tone catalog with an expanded While You Were Out/Clam Dip & Other Delights 2fer CD:

Description
    • The band’s last raucous indie releases before signing to major label.
    • Remastered and featuring 7 bonus cuts, including 4 never-before released.
    • Liner notes by Jon Wurster (Superchunk).
    • While You Were Out was produced by much revered Minneapolis Musician Chris Osgood, leader of the groundbreaking 1976 punk band The Suicide Commandos.
    • Contains the full U.K.-only EP track list of Clam Dip & Other Delights EP, first time available in the U.S.

Soul Asylum were inheritor’s of the throne in the Minneapolis scene launched by The Replacements and Husker Du. Soul Asylum stood out because of their smart, punky, hard rock songs and relentless work ethic. They made four records for hometown label Twin/Tone Records before moving on to the majors; first A&M, then Columbia, where they scored two platinum albums and won a Best Rock Song Grammy for “Runaway Train.” While You Were Out was the band’s 3rd album and its 3rd release of 1986, following 2nd album Made To Be Broken and the cassette-only rarities compilation, Time’s Incinerator. It is considered by many to be their finest album. Clam Dip & Other Delights was their parting release for Twin/Tone before signing to major label, A&M Records. As the liner notes say, “The band got to record a bunch of things that likely would never have made it to an album, raw and all over the map stylistically, but sounding vital even 30 years removed.” Produced by Twin/Tone Records co-founder and Replacements manager, Peter Jesperson and Grammy®-winner, Cheryl Pawelski, these expanded reissues of Soul Asylum’s 3rd and EP collect rare outtakes and demos from this era, including seven bonus tracks as well as four completely unreleased songs. The packaging provides an array of never before seen photos, artwork, flyers and liner notes written by Jon Wurster of Superchunk fame.

Tracklist
    1. Freaks
    2. Carry On
    3. No Man's Land
    4. Crashing Down
    5. Judge
    6. Sun Don't Shine
    7. Closer To The Stars
    8. Never Too Soon
    9. Miracle Mile
    10. Lap Of Luxury
    11. Passing Sad Daydream
    12. Take It To The Root (jam mix)
    13. Just Plain Evil
    14. Chains
    15. Secret No More
    16. Move Over
    17. P-9
    18. Jukebox Hero
    19. Artificial Heart
    20. Take It To The Root
    21. Saving Grace
    22. Forever And A Day
    23. There It Goes
    24. Artificial Heart (alternate)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  24. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

25. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Nice! Been waiting for this announcement. While You Were Out is my favorite Soul Asylum album. It just sucks that the extras are so meh. I guess I'm buying this for the 3 unreleased songs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.