Omaha used music stores

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by finley1956, Aug 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. finley1956

finley1956 New Member Thread Starter

Hello:
    Does anybody know of any good used music stores in Omaha Nebraska?

Thanks
    finley1956

2. stever

stever Senior Member

The Antiquarium in the Old Market downtown, and Kanesville Kollectibles just across the river in Council Bluffs.

3. finley1956

Thanks Stever:

Any updates folks?

finley1956

4. zappa

zappa New Member

used to be another place downtown.............uh, like dinosuar sounds or something? been 10 years+

5. Larpy

Larpy Active Member

I haven't heard of Dinosaur Sounds, but there's a place in the Old Market called Drastic Plastic. It's small, but sells a few LPs. Homer's down the block has a small vinyl section as well. Lots of used CDs at Homer's, if digital is what you're after.

If it's vinyl you're after, there's a place in Benson (a neighborhood in north Omaha) called Harry O's worth checking out: the older inventory is pretty well picked through, but their new arrivals are always worth checking out. It's on Maple Street around 65th St. or so.

Antiquarium is the best place overall. Especially when it comes to vinyl. If you go, don't be put off by your initial impression—the record shop is downstairs. Upstairs is a used book store that probably hasn't sold a book in 20 years.

6. finley1956

Thanks to all for replying - LF

7. xyyyy

xyyyy Forum Resident

Two more on Maple street- both being very good. They are 0 Street Records and Harry O's. I found lots of classic rock (NM) lp's, still in shrink at 0 Street.

8. Larpy

Larpy Active Member

Yes, that's an important update: Zero Street opened a few months ago just west of Benson on Maple. I was there in October and I'd say it's now my favorite record store in eastern Nebraska (which, um, probably means all of Nebraska).

Mike, the guy who runs it, used to operate the store in Lincoln, but he shut it down a couple of years ago. It's great to see him have a store again.

A bit of trivia on the store's name: The big east-west street in Lincoln is called "O Street" (the streets are alphabetical: we're very imaginative here in Nebraska), but Allen Ginsberg rechristened it "Zero Street" in his poem "Wichita Vortex Sutra." The original Zero Street Records was indeed located on O Street: hence the name.

9. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley New Member

10. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I know this is an oooooooold thread, but:

I get to Omaha once a year or so, and will be there again on the 19th. On my 15 or so trips to the Cornhusker state, I have always been so tied up seeing friends and family that I have never even tried to find a record shop, but I may have time this trip. Any suggestions???? Thanks in advance.

Matt

11. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

One store should get Peyton Manning as a spokesperson.

Ed Hughes and MLutthans like this.
  12. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

I was just thinking how to get a Manning reference in there. Well done.:laugh:

13. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

I'm heading up to Nebraska sometime soon and was curious if there were any stores worth browsing.

14. Patrick

Patrick Senior Member

Have not been there in a few years, but the best shop I visited was Kanesville Collectibles just across the river in Council Bluffs, Iowa.
    Anyone know if they are still there?
    There was a great used store in downtown Lincoln too, cant recall the name of it though......

15. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Forum Resident

They are, Tim Behrens is the owner, he opened up the store in 1978 IIRC. I don't know how many lp's are in that store but is in the thousands. Hundreds, if not a couple thousand 45's. He doesn't have a lot of cd's but he has a BUNCH of dvd's! They go for $3 and IIRC the blue rays are $4 to $5. He's also have a pretty healthy inventory of comic books.

He also is part of the River City Collectors Club, they promote the Omaha Record Show. It's back to 3 shows a year, the next one is first Sunday in October, I believe.

manicpopthrill likes this.
  16. Patrick

Patrick Senior Member

I got the spelling wrong (or did they), its "Kanesville Kollectibles" in Council Bluffs.
    The big store I liked in Lincoln has moved to Omaha: "Recycled Sounds"

17. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Forum Resident

No, they spell it that way!

I haven't been in Recycled sounds since they moved to Omaha some time back. Their address is 322 N. 76th St. Can't think of the owners first name, but he seems to be a good guy, at the last Omaha show I went to and set up, he bought some lp's from me.

Kanesville has a website, not sure about Recycled Sounds. They ARE on Facebook, though.

18. MLutthans

19. MLutthans

20. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Looks like about 10 or so listed on yelp.

Almost Music
    Recycled Sounds
    Ear Wax Records
    Homer's
    Pop Culture Exchange
    Record Benders
    Hi Fi House
    Kanesville Kollectibles
    Drastic Plastic (Underground)
    Make Believe Music Shop

Homer's gets lots of mentions, and Kanesville sounds like fun. Will probably only have time to hit a couple, so any locals please come forward with your opinions.

21. sciman111

sciman111 Well-Known Member

Homer's Music is probably the best place in Omaha. It is now located in what is known their as the "Old Market" area. It's a great place to spend some time wandering around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.