Filler-free double albums: are there any?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Robert, Jul 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Then, no.

2. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Sweet Child/Pentangle

jamesmaya, zphage, Folknik and 2 others like this.
  3. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Back to the Roots/John Mayall is pretty formidable.

Plexiclone likes this.
  4. samtheman7373

samtheman7373 Well-Known Member

Sign o the times
    The River

Sure there are tracks on each that I don't care for but I wouldn't call any of them filler. Springsteen had enough fully recorded tracks to release a 4 or 5 disk album so no tracks were included to 'fill' out the album. Prince had even more!

5. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

Double albums really mean vinyl and all the great ones have been mentioned here...Pat Metheny Group - The Way Up which runs in at 68 minutes is a really a double (just 4 tracks altho one is only 5 minutes) and is near perfection for me ...

Catcher10 and Terrapin Station like this.
  6. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I only use "filler" in its literal sense--tunes that the artist came up with only for the purpose of filling time, and where they didn't put much thought into it--they just say something like, "Okay guys, let's just jam on a 12-bar blues progression in E for five minutes." Filler in the literal sense doesn't imply that the tune isn't enjoyable. Maybe the band has the ability to jam blues in E for five minutes so that it's extraordinary. For example, any Jimi Hendrix band would be able to make smokin' filler. "They could play the phone book" and it would be great.

It's actually hard to know whether a tune is filler in this sense. But I don't think there are a lot of albums with literal filler.

At any rate, there are very few double albums where I don't enjoy all of the tracks. In fact, offhand I can't think of one, although that might partially be due to the fact that I just woke up and I'm groggy, especially after taking a Benadryl late last night (because I was itching like crazy--road rash wounds are in the final stages of healing from a wipeout on my bicycle a few weeks ago).

7. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

The 10-minute repetitive instrumental "Underture" could have been trimmed by several minutes without taking away from the story.

Celebrated Summer likes this.
  8. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Finally someone mentioned the White Album. I love it from beginning to end, including "Revolution 9." "Wild Honey Pie" hardly counts as "filler" since it was a joke and only a minute long.

no.nine, Michael, chrisblower and 2 others like this.
  9. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

Paul Kelly gossip fits the bill. :)

10. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Bee Gees - Odessa. It's only 65 minutes long and it does contain 3 instrumentals, but they are very majestic and melodic instrumentals. Superb songs throughout the 4 sides.

LouieG, No Bull and PJayBe like this.
  11. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Except for the ones that are augmented with bonus tracks, most CDs that run for over an hour and were originally released on vinyl were double albums. There are a few exceptions, though, like Todd Rundgren's 68-minute Initiation which was squeezed onto one vinyl LP. As for the single CDs that are around 70 minutes or longer, almost all of them are double albums on vinyl.

12. DanaDotCom

DanaDotCom Forum Resident

Donna Summer BAD GIRLS, most definitely. Not a single reason to move the needle forward. It's one of those albums that features deep cuts better than its singles, which of course are classics on their own.

13. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Agree 100%! Every song, every note, every word of narration - all of it matters.

Sondek likes this.
  14. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

None of the actual songs are filler, but IMO, Stevie sometimes has a tendency toward excessive repetition, especially on the back-to-back "As" (over 7 minutes) and "Another Star" (over 8 minutes). I love epic-length songs, but when they are stretched out primarily with repetition, some editing might be in order.

The_Windmill likes this.
  15. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I totally agree about the original double album. However, the double CD reissue with the "penalty tracks" is another matter. the 38 straight minutes of bad movie dialogue is one of the most blatant examples of filler I can imagine. What was Frank thinking?

16. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I love the GYBR album, but can't stand "Dirty Little Girl." A trite misogynist Bernie lyric set to one of Elton's most uninspired melodies, and the thing slogs on for over 5 minutes. Replace it with the orphan single B-side "Screw You", and you have a pretty solid double album.

17. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

"Deep cuts" is just a simpler way of saying "Relatively obscure album tracks that were not hit singles." "Deep cuts" saves time and breath.

18. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

ISB :U

Elton: Goodbye etc.

19. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I assume many Live albums would fit the bill.

Dire Straits Alchemy comes to mind.

20. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

It’s funny. I was thinking about Wild Honey Pie this morning. I was remembering the days before I knew way too much about the Beatles and how I could hear John singing on it.

Folknik likes this.
  21. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Works, Volume 1. Yes, it has 3 sides of solo material, but IMO, it's all good, showing the 3 members' diversity as well as one side where they gel as a group.
    And I wholeheartedly agree with all of the posts that mention Layla. That one is solid throughout.

22. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Since double live albums were sort of excluded, I'm guessing that double "Best of" comps and Various Artists anthologies are excluded as well, since that's a fairly easy way to put together an all killer-no filler double album, but there are certainly hundreds of great ones out there.

Keith V likes this.
  23. Terrapin Station

I enjoy the dialogue track. I just don't want it in the middle of the album. (And I like "Tengo Na Minchi Tanta" a lot, too, but it just doesn't fit on Uncle Meat. It should have been a bonus track on The Man From Utopia.)

Folknik likes this.
  24. Terrapin Station

I've always thought of "deep cuts" as simply "stuff that hardly ever gets played on the radio/in concert/by party DJs/etc."

Catcher10, Folknik and The_Windmill like this.
  25. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

White Album is a statement,a manifesto on the history and current state of,pop music. Even though there are songs we may not like,every song is essential.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.