Question on cutting for Beatles White album on white vinyl in 1978?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by j.barleycorn, Mar 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j.barleycorn

j.barleycorn Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Mofi box sleeves has photos of all the times the master tape was pulled for cuttings right? So on that photo of the inside of the master tape box for the White Album I see several 1978 entries. Which is the one for the new lacquers that were cut for the White Vinyl Export issue?

I see five in ‘78 for sides1 & 2. And four for sides 3 &4 The first entry is hard to make out but has date of 4/29. The others are later that year and show Boveema, Guatemala and Portugal. Is the first entry for that new Harry Moss cut?

I’m sure one of you mavens here has some insight. I await the onslaught.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Were new lacquers made specifically for that release?

3. j.barleycorn

That's what I've read here.

marcb likes this.
  4. j.barleycorn

Bump this thread..........any insights folks??

5. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

don't know the exact chain of what master was used but my uk white vinyl is flat out the most perfect reproduction of what is on the tape I can imagine. I have about 25 odd different white albums to choose from:) I love it's quality and look forward to the new box.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  6. marcb

marcb Senior Member

My memory is they required because the press for the colored vinyl required a different stamper.

Plus all of the colored vinyl UK exports have unique dead wax matrices, IIRC.

AaronW and MLutthans like this.
  7. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I got this German pressing last week and it sounds okay but on some songs it seems tinny to me,
    I am expecting a UK white vinyl on Monday and from what I read the UK is the best sounding
    `[​IMG]

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

All the info has initially come from me and I take full responsibility for it! The 1978 cuttings sound very much like the tapes they were cut from. Some of the stuff sounds wonderful, some not so wonderful but the point is, the UK White is the most accurate version of the thing on vinyl, ever.

So, enjoy.

McLover, kozy814, dkswaff and 13 others like this.
  9. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

And I still have it since purchasing the UK version back in 78. Same for the green UK AR.

10. Steve Hoffman

I got mine in 1978 as well. I remember there was a yellow MMT, right? And something was blue vinyl.. Can't remember what. But weren't these Dutch and not UK?

11. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I can't tell from the picture (in terms of specific run-off groove numbers) but it looks like the my copy (although my cover has a *black* sticker with white writing on the upper right hand corner)...sound-wise, it's deepest, richest sounding copy I have.

12. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I have a yellow MMT on Parlophone (UK) from the 70's. I think it's the worst sounding copy I have. Kind of "harsh", throughout...sounds the worst on the fake stereo tracks. Maybe you're thinking of the '67-'70 comps far as the blue vinyl..?

13. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

You are correct about the yellow MMT. I think the others from these series were; Green Abbey Road and a White Let It Be.

I have the White 'White Album' and the Green Abbey Road both cut by Harry T. Moss.

14. Steve Hoffman

That Yellow mmt sucked. Worst ever.

John Bliss likes this.
  15. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

That's because for some inexplicable reason they used the Capitol tapes with the fake stereo even though the proper stereo mixes had already been released by Capitol. I think I have that straight. But either way, they used an old cut. That's why I decided to pass on collecting that one in the 1978 series.

John Bliss likes this.
  16. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

Yours is a German pressing too?
    I have never come across a black sticker on the cover.
    Mine has the same run-off numbers as per Discogs;
    • (side 1): 04 173 A-1
    • (side 2): 04 173 B-1
    • (side 3): 04 174 A-1
    • (side 4): 04 174 B-1
    I have a UK white vinyl coming in on Monday, can't wait to hear it from all the praise I read about it

John Bliss and DK Pete like this.
  17. marcb

marcb Senior Member

White Album was white. Magical Mystery Tour was yellow. Abbey Road was green. Let It Be was White. All UK.

No UK blue that I’m aware of.

The White Album had a list price of $34.98...in 1978!! That would be about $135 today.

18. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

That’s not true. Capitol never released MMT in stereo with the proper/true stereo mixes. The last 3 tracks were always in fake stereo all the way up to the 1983 reissue with the colorband label.

The only true stereo version of the MMT album that’s all-analog is the German Apple pressing.

19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Actually they probably used their dub of the Capitol tapes - probably the same tapes MFSL used for their cut. And it wasn’t an old cut, but rather a new cut (with the dub tape). The colored vinyl UK Export series were all new cuts.

John Bliss, Rich C and Tommyboy like this.
  20. Steve Hoffman

Someone told me Dutch EMI did an entire colored vinyl Beatles thing around that time, Rubber Soul, etc. It was at that point that I gave it up, way too confusing and expensive..

John Bliss and sathvyre like this.
  21. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I know there is a yellow vinyl Dutch pressing of Sgt. Pepper.

marcb likes this.
  22. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Are you sure they weren’t boots or something? Maybe I missed it but I don’t recall any legit colored vinyl Rubber Soul - or most of the earlier catalog.

23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Sorry...it's on the top left corner as pictured right here (I guess I was having a dislexic moment!!)

https://www.popsike.com/pix/20090531/150348945507.jpg

24. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I think so. A pre-DMM cut and a DMM cut.

YpsiGypsy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.