The Pineapple Thief new album "Dissolution" (2018.08.31)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DesertChaos, Jun 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident Thread Starter

An album I am really looking forward to as his last few records (including the live set) have been just stellar. Lots of input from Gavin Harrison on this album apparently, always a good thing in my books. I've got my pre-order in on the deluxe set.
    Pre-orders for CD, Vinyl, Blu-ray (with 5.1 mix) and deluxe 2CD/DVD/Blu-ray on their Burning Shed/K-scope page.

First single from the album is "Far Below"

2. DesertChaos

"Far Below" comes as a free download now with pre-orders - played it several times now, really good track.

ian christopher likes this.
  3. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

This one will have to grow on me. Most of their stuff rarely hits me at first, but I've come around to liking some of their songs. None of their albums strike me as being consistent, but most of them seem to have at least a few worthy tunes.

Horse Majeure and DesertChaos like this.
  4. DesertChaos

That was me exactly until that last studio album, and now I'm going back and filling in the gaps.

The blu-ray of the live "Where We Stood" is one of the best bangs for $$ ever - 2 diff 5.1 mixes of the live show, mixes of the "Your Wilderness" album, other bonus odd and ends....a real how to cram a dual-layer blu-ray full of content.

5. George Co-Stanza

I saw some of it a few months back at the house of a friend, who got into them earlier this year and fell hard for them quickly (while I am slowly liking them more). Looked good.

For me, the rocking stuff doesn't always work with them (lack of melody is an issue with some of the rocking stuff and I don't think his voice is strong enough to carry a rocking song), but the more laid back and mellow stuff works pretty well more often than not. Don't get me wrong, I do like some of the rockers like 3000 Days and So We Row, but I tend to prefer the slow burners like Snowdrops, Light Up Your Eyes - I, Take Your Shot and The Final Thing on My Mind.

DesertChaos likes this.
  6. DesertChaos

And that's maybe why the blu-ray *is* such a great deal - you get the rockier hi-energy live show, but the studio stuff as well. And I get what you say - they are a grower, with the heavier rockier stuff it took me a few listens on the live set, but it flowed very well and he did do a few quieter bits mixed in too, again, just a great bargain for the price.

Bruce also has another solo disc coming out. He sees TPT as being his outlet for the heavier "proggier" stuff and his solo albums geared in the singer/songwriter area.

7. George Co-Stanza

I will admit I was hesitant about the live show, as Gavin Harrison overplays so much live that it drives me nuts (Porcupine Tree is my 2nd favorite band ever, yet I never listen to their live stuff from the 00's because his overplaying makes me want to punch a wall, lol), but he didn't seem to do it as much on this one.

That seems silly. Why not just release them under the Pineapple Thief name? It is his band, he can make whatever music he wants with it! I'll never understand why some musicians feel the need to keep their band in a narrow box.

8. DesertChaos

Because though he may be the main writer, those songs he brings fwd for a TPT album may be better served with the input from the rest of the band, and with the upcoming one that seems particularly true with Gavin's input. With a "solo" album he can do it without regard for what the others may feel is right (or wrong). Not silly at all imho, and not without precedent.

Northwind likes this.
  9. George Co-Stanza

"Silly" might not have been the best word to use, but from what you said earlier, I got the impression that it was more about style than input. Like, "Well, this style isn't really Pineapple Thief's thing, so I will do it on a solo album," when, in reality, any style can be your thing if you make it your thing.

10. sheffandy

sheffandy Forum Resident

Received tickets this week for their Sheffield Leadmill gig in October. Really looking forward to this and of course the new album. I saw them a few years ago at a small venue in Manchester. They didn’t get the sound right that night, way too much bottom end and over all too loud for such a small place.

11. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

new single is very good - a bit more proggy than the singles from Your Wilderness.

However, the 1 minute snippet of an album track from YouTube is PHENOMENAL.

very cool that fellow proggers Riverside will be releasing their new album a mere 28 days after The Pineapple Thief.

I've fallen in love with both bands over the past 12-24 months.

12. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

13. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Forum Resident

Any confirmation that the Blu-Ray is region-free?

14. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

15. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

Absolutely love Your Wilderness, which I only got 6 months ago. Hopefully this new album lives up to its predecessor's standard.

Ivand, eric777 and ian christopher like this.
  16. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I preordered the 24/48 download from 7digital. I'm really excited. "Your Wilderness" is fantastic. Hopefully the new one will be just as good.

17. DesertChaos

Maybe not the best way to hear a song for the first time, but here's a clip of Gavin playing along/on top of an edited version of "White Mist" from the new album. Love watching him play.

Horse Majeure, Ivand, FVDnz and 2 others like this.
  18. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

That is a great video!

19. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Forum Resident

Sounds like another really good track.

20. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

I could watch him play all day...can't wait for the new LP!

Mr. Bill and ian christopher like this.
  21. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Forum Resident

Burning Shed confirmed Blu ray release is region-free.

22. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Got my copy of the deluxe yesterday and have played it a good 10 or so times. It's right up there with Your Wilderness, pretty much a follow up in the sense of it being in the same style and mixed similar. These 2 albums make a great pairing.

Still need to dive into the 5.1 and bonus tracks but will do that once I know the main album inside out.

marblesmike and DesertChaos like this.
  23. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

Just received the LP from Amazon. Can't wait to hear it later!

24. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Forum Resident

I ordered Blu ray version at Amazon and have to wait another week.:shake: I will have to saturate on my new Miles Bitches Brew Quad SACD for another week (that’s not a bad thing).

25. j1804

j1804 Forum Resident

My first Pineapple Thief album - really like it... through multiple playthroughs now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.