Coroner Vinyl LP and CD Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DarkSideOfTheMoo, May 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkSideOfTheMoo

DarkSideOfTheMoo Forum Resident Thread Starter

Century Media is set to reissue R. I. P., Punishment For Decadence and No More Color on CD. Street date is slated for 05 / 25 / 2018.

These three titles will also be released on 180 gram black vinyl. Street Date 07 / 06 / 2018.

---

Noise is set to reissue Mental Vortex and Grin on CD and limited edition colored vinyl utilizing 2018 remasters. Street Date 06 / 29 / 2018.

Mental Vortex is to be issued on purple vinyl - (supposedly limited to 600 copies ).

Grin is to be issued on green vinyl - (supposedly limited to 500 copies). -- As opposed to the original LP issue in 1993, this LP version will be spread out over 2 platters / 4 sides. Good idea since the album is almost 58 minutes in length!

2. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Great! Love No More Color. Long overdue. Thx for this notice.

3. Andi

Andi Member

Just got No More Color on black vinyl today. Cannot say much about the mastering but sounds a bit flat to me. But the real disappoint is the artwork. Judging by the blurry, pixelated look of the fotos, I suspect they used the old CD artwork for the vinyls. Also, there is no lyric sheet or printed inner included. Very poor. The only reason to get this release is if you do not want to spend ****loads of money for the original.

4. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I just ordered the CDs from Deep Discount. I hope these are good.

5. VinylMario

VinylMario The Crow

Very disappointing to say the least. Hopefully they get proper re-issues in the future...

6. eric777

Just received the CDs today but I have not listened to them yet. All three are DR8 so it's evident they have been remastered. My guess is that the Noise Records reissues of "Mental Vortex" and "Grin" will be the same. I will listen to them later tonight.

7. eric777

I listened to each one twice. Honestly, I don't know what the point was in remastering these. The only real difference I hear is that they are louder and less dynamic sounding. They don't sound bad, but rather they just don't sound as good as the originals.

8. DarkSideOfTheMoo

I've listened to all three. These are not badly mastered CDs at all.

Not shrill / clipped. - I have prior-issued CDs to compare these to.

Yes, these are 'pumped-up' volume-wise compared to the original [ and subsequent CD issue(s) ]. - If there is 'dynamic range reduction', it is minimal.

I'm very happy with these reissues. It beats having to shell out bigger $ on original copies.

TBH - this is raw METAL … it's not supposed to have a wide dynamic range. -- Now, getting into Mental Vortex and Grin … Those albums should require a different expectation dynamic-range-wise.

Funky Meadows, 1 minute ago Edit Delete Report

REMASTERANTER and VinylMario like this.
  9. VinylMario

VinylMario The Crow

Has anyone received the Grin and/or Mental Vortex on vinyl yet? If so, how do they sound? Also are there any issues with the album artwork or missing inserts?
    Still waiting for mine as they are on backorder

10. DarkSideOfTheMoo

Concerning the "backorder status" … Who did you order from?

I received my Mental Vortex and Grin LPs from Soundstage Direct a few days ago. Both seem very good as far as the covers {although Grin seems a bit dark to me}.

Soundwise .. I'm dead in the dirt -- My turntable set-up is defunct (for now). I bought these as an investment (limited editions).

I'll split open the LPs just to comment on the overall look of them, though. I've ordered double copies of each.

Gonna play the {remastered} CD versions, though very soon.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  11. REMASTERANTER

REMASTERANTER Ahhhhhh...

I had a couple of the reissues in my hand just the other day but put them back in the store shelf as I was weary of them being butchered/earbleeders, good to know they are good to go.

DarkSideOfTheMoo likes this.
  12. DarkSideOfTheMoo

Well, ya know, different ears ….. different results. It's a crap-shoot. I'm absolutely cool with the reissues, if for nothing else than an attempt to getting this under-known/appreciated band the recognition that they should have had 25 or 30 years ago!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Deuce66 and REMASTERANTER like this.
  13. VinylMario

VinylMario The Crow

I ordered from Soundstage Direct as well when they had 25% off on June 17th. I bought two of each as well. The second copies were for another collector. We got a great deal on them. We roughly paid $42 for both copies with free shipping!
    How long ago do you place your order?

14. DarkSideOfTheMoo

I placed my order on May 15.

VinylMario likes this.
  15. Jason Muxlow

Jason Muxlow Active Member

Just ripped Mental Vortex and Grin reissue CDs to ALAC and ran them through TT Dynamic Range Meter:

CORONER — MENTAL VORTEX 2018 Reissue CD
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Filename
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR9 -0.26 dB -10.14 dB 01 Divine Step (Conspectu Mortis).m4a
    DR9 -0.26 dB - 9.97 dB 02 Son of Lilith.m4a
    DR9 -0.26 dB -10.27 dB 03 Semtex Revolution.m4a
    DR8 -0.26 dB - 9.34 dB 04 Sirens.m4a
    DR9 -0.26 dB -10.39 dB 05 Metamorphosis.m4a
    DR9 -0.26 dB -10.44 dB 06 Pale Sister.m4a
    DR9 -0.26 dB -10.19 dB 07 About Life.m4a
    DR8 -0.26 dB - 9.51 dB 08 I Want You (She's So Heavy).m4a

Number of files: 8
    Official DR value: DR9

==============================================================================================

CORONER — GRIN 2018 Reissue CD
    DR Peak RMS Filename

DR16 -0.26 dB -18.08 dB 01 Dream Path.m4a
    DR10 -0.26 dB -10.96 dB 02 The Lethargic Age.m4a
    DR9 -0.26 dB -10.60 dB 03 Internal Conflicts.m4a
    DR11 -0.26 dB -12.50 dB 04 Caveat (To the Coming).m4a
    DR9 -0.26 dB -10.27 dB 05 Serpent Moves.m4a
    DR10 -0.26 dB -11.09 dB 06 Status_ Still Thinking.m4a
    DR11 -3.00 dB -19.76 dB 07 Theme for Silence.m4a
    DR10 -0.26 dB -11.79 dB 08 Paralized, Mesmerized.m4a
    DR10 -0.26 dB -11.36 dB 09 Grin (Nails Hurt).m4a
    DR10 -0.26 dB -12.83 dB 10 Host.m4a

Number of files: 10
    Official DR value: DR11

==============================================================================================

VinylMario likes this.
  16. VinylMario

VinylMario The Crow

Welp... Looks like I'm outta luck with my preorder...
    Soundstage Direct Frustration
    Soundstage has been trying to duck out of others' orders...

17. DarkSideOfTheMoo

Man, I am with you on this. I, too, am the victim of the SSD scam ( at least for now ). I paid via PayPal with a credit card for an order on 5 /28 for the first 3 Coroner LPs + the Mental Vortex LP . Supposedly that will aid in my recovery from SSD.

I have read on other threads about SSD's demise, that some people have been duped for thousands of dollars. It makes my complaint very small … but still … it sucks.

I've read where ImportCDs have bought out SSD.

?????? this is.

18. VinylMario

VinylMario The Crow

I finally got my PayPal case settled today. Just placed an order for both Mental Vortex and Grin from Amazon. Sheesh! Shoulda had these almost two months back! Oh well. At least that SSD drama is over for me. They treated me so well over the years. Bummer it had to end like this... Oh well, c'est la vie, right?

19. DarkSideOfTheMoo

Glad to know this, man. Hopefully my case will go through within a couple of days.

Yeah, it sucks about this once-great business.

VinylMario likes this.
  20. DarkSideOfTheMoo

Okay... PayPal has settled this case in my favor. Because I initially paid with a credit card, it may take up to month to have it "realized" in my account, at least it was acknowledged. I'm okay with it (for now). I have no reason to think it won't be.

PayPal has to have taken a huge dent with this business (SoundStageDirect).

Hopefully everybody else dealing with SSD will be made "whole".

VinylMario likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.