ELO's Zoom....stinks...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kwadguy, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

OK, I don't know why it took me this long to get around to carefully listening to the last ELO album, Zoom, but it did. I bought it shortly after it came out, but after hearing one song, I just never got up the energy to listen...despite the fact that I've been a fan of ELO for decades, own every ELO album and at one time would have deemed them one of my favorite groups, etc. etc.

I also thought the Jeff Lynne solo album was very good. Heck, I think the widely derided Balance of Power is woefully underrated...

But Zoom...Sorry, I think it sucks. It's not just that it doesn't sound like an "ELO" album to me. It's that it doesn't sound like a good album to me. The songs are, by and large, mediocre, retreads, or worse. There are a few brighter moments, but not nearly enough. It was almost painful to force myself to keep listening after I trudged through half of the album...

I see reviews saying Zoom was a "return to form", "great", etc. I just don't get it. I am not hearing that...at all...

Kwad

2. street legal

street legal Senior Member

:biglaugh:

That's one ELO album that I never got around to picking up, and after your review, I don't think I'll be in any rush to get it! :D

3. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Each to their own, but I love 'Zoom', and have since it's release in 2001. I just love every song, and for me it's one of the best ELO albums, if not the best. Although, in reality, it is a Jeff Lynne album.

4. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

:shrug: I like it. It's a great Jeff Lynne solo record.

Comet01 likes this.
  5. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Totally disagree.

Zoom is a superb CD.

Sound quality is what kinda sucks.

Compressed.

Comet01 likes this.
  6. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

No Richard Dodd mixes. :(

Armchair Theater had some amazing mixes on it. The mix on September Song just kills me. The delay on the snare drum is so figgin' cool!

7. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I'm with Jamie. If you don't hear great songs with fabulous hooks, then you don't. But I do. The sound blows, but when the songs are this great I have no choice but to let it slide. :thumbsup:

Comet01 likes this.
  8. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I only listened to it maybe 3 times when it came out and I agree that it pretty much sucked. Then again, the sound quality made it hard for me to focus on the songs.

9. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Well different strokes, but for me I still love it. Much better than Disco very IMO.

The sound quality does suck. Way too compressed which is unfortunate.

And no vinyl release anywhere on the face of the Earth. That sucks too.

Comet01 likes this.
  10. Rapid Fire

Rapid Fire Hyperactive!

I remember liking it real well upon release. But, then again, I haven't listened to it in almost five years :sigh:

11. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Boy, do I disagree.

I think ZOOM is damn good. I mean, it's a Jeff Lynne solo record, but so what? Weren't they all (the latter ones, anyway)? Actually, ZOOM has one of my favorite-ever E.L.O. tracks on it: "Ordinary Dream"

It's not only a great song, it's a great track. The guitar solo at the end gives me goosebumps every single time. Honestly. Check it out.

Comet01 likes this.
  12. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

I have to disagree with you there. Disco Very was MUCH better than Zoom. I've only listened to Zoom once. I've never felt inclined to listen to it again.

Now Armchair Theater is a great album. :agree: Pity that it's out of print. :sigh:

13. deepsky4565

deepsky4565 Forum Resident

I agree with Kwadguy, I love most ELO and Lynne's solo stuff, but this one left me cold. I've tried, and I am happy for the ones that love it, but I sold it. I hope Jeff hasn't lost it, at least for me. I'll probably re-buy it when it's rereleased with extra tracks, maybe the mastering won't suck as bad.

14. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

Can't agree more with that. (See my avatar)
    Although I was disapointed at the first listen, I liked the album better and beter with every listening. My only complaint: I miss the kitsch, inherent to the previous ELO albums. The release as a Jeff Lynne album would have a better choice.

15. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

"Zoom" reissued with bonus tracks? I think not.The ongoing dispute between Craig Fruin(Jeff Lynne's manager) and Sony Music put a permanent end to the expanded/remastered ELO CD series."Zoom" was a Jeff Lynne solo album with no participation from other previous ELO members(excepting a brief appearance by Richard Tandy).I assume that the use of the Electric Light Orchestra name was for commercial reasons.The general public wanted the synth-heavy,discofied ELO sound circa "Out of The Blue","Discovery" and "Xanadu",and Lynne refused to deliver.

16. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

The reissue series hasn't come to a 'permanent end'. The Face The Music website states that the dispute has been resolved, and the reissues are now scheduled for release in September.

17. Anders B

Anders B Forum Resident

I agree with Kwadguy and Christian L - "Balance Of Power" is a very good album.

18. Anders B

Anders B Forum Resident

While I like the "Zoom" album I must say it's not among my favorite ELO albums at all. I thought some of the new/re-worked tracks such as "Love Changes All" and "Helpless" on the "Flashback" box set, released six months earlier than "Zoom", were much, much better than anything on "Zoom" and sounded more like the "ELO-spirit" to me.

19. Anders B

Anders B Forum Resident

A vinyl version of "Zoom" was supposed to be released way back in 2001. But, as it was, it never happened.

20. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I enjoy Zoom a lot, but the sound is pretty bad.

21. Dave D

Dave D Done!

1. Alright :thumbsup: Great riff and chorus
    2. Moment in Paradise :thumbsup: Typical slow Jeff song. Really nice melody
    3. State of Mind :thumbsup: Catchy. Riff is a bit lame
    4. Just for Love :thumbsdn: The little bridge part is nice, but the rest..zzz
    5. Stranger on a Quiet Street :thumbsdn: Don't like it
    6. In My Own Time :thumbsdn: yuck
    7. Easy Money :thumbsdn: :thumbsup: half and half
    8. It Really Doesn't Matter :thumbsup: Love the 12 string!
    9. Ordinary Dream :thumbsup: Another Jeff slow song:)
    10. Long Time Gone :thumbsup: George on slide!
    11. Melting in the Sun :thumbsup: AWESOME
    12. All She Wanted :thumbsdn: Sounds like a buddy cop show theme
    13. Lonesome Lullaby :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Great tune!!!!!!

22. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Possible evidence is that mint copies of ELO cd's have been turning up in the "used bins". I know for a fact that the source for these is not customer trade ins.

23. mandel

mandel New Member

I love Alright and Ordinary Dream, the rest of the album is a bit hit and miss. Good for an occasional listen. The sound blows though, there is no excuse for using that level (or indeed any level) of mastering compression on this type of music. But it's a Sony release so what do you expect :rolleyes:

Now the Zoom Live DVD that's far more enjoyable to listen to.

24. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I have the Zoom live dvd and it rocks. never gave the cd a listen.

25. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

I second that, most of the Zoom tracks sounded much more (ahem) alive on the DVD than on the studio album. And You have a cameo appearance by Eric Idle, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.