New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martin de Dios

Martin de Dios Forum Resident

What is the
    Future releases?

OobuJoobu likes this.
  2. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I completely agree, I cannot believe how much both songs have grown on me. The more I listen, the more detail I hear. I would now rank 'Come On To Me' as higher than 'Ever Present Past', 'Fine Line', 'Lonely Road', etc, a great catchy single. As for 'I Don't Know', it has such a beautiful melody, as the piano cover above shows. I sincerely hope that he performs it live.

3. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

I think this has been a pretty flawless roll out of a new album. The fact that we've had to live with these first two songs for so long has allowed many of us to reassess them and to better value them. This rarely happens.

4. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

Imagine and WA50th

jlf and Martin de Dios like this.
  5. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Yes, that is a very good point. I don't want to listen to them too much before the album is released, but I do listen to each song once a day, and both have revealed so much with each further listen.
    The first few times I heard 'Come On To Me', it seemed like a slight song with bombastic production, and the 'Yes it will now' and 'Yeah yeah yeah' parts seemed unnatural; now the entire song flows so well and I can see that it is very well structured to keep interest for the duration of the song. Paul's vocals are also the best that they can be at this point in time, and suit the songs really well and don't bother me at all, unlike when he performs old songs live and sometimes strains to sound like he used to do.

So far, I am extremely impressed with all of the promotion, from the 'Karaoke' appearance which was a massive success, through to the talk at LIPA, the show at the Cavern, the studio photos on social media, the wonderful album cover, Kurstin's in depth very interesting interview in RS magazine, the concert at 'Abbey Road', etc. The move back to Capitol looks like it will be a big success.

I was hoping that the follow up to 'New' could be almost as good; if this album is as great as Kurstin made it sound, it may well best 'New', not something I thought could happen at this stage in Paul's career. The collaboration with Kurstin seems like it will be a great one based on his work on the two songs we've heard so far.

I hope that the clues on social media point to a second single being released tomorrow!

6. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

I think it's grown to become my favorite part of Come on to Me. He sounds like he's having a blast, at his exuberant best, almost like on Coming up or some of the best Run Devil Run moments. Of course the latter sounded more cathartic than exuberant. We don't hear this level of obvious fun on many studio recordings by any artist.

As far as I Don't Know is concerned, the attack of the song (the "crows at my window, dogs at my door" line) is one of the more powerful he ever did in my opinion. In his 21st century output, Paul has been able to convey a level of intensity that he often lacked in his prime years and this is a wonderful example.
    Still, I have yet to warm up to the "what's the matter with me" section and especially the "wow wow, yeah yeah" See Your Sunshine-ish bit afterwards.​

7. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

FWIW, Egypt Station was back up to #26 on the Amazon CD/vinyl bestseller list as of this morning. So a meaningful, if not electrifying, level of interest does seem to be continuing, beyond just the hardcore fanatics who post here. No, this does not mean it will debut at #1, but it may at least have pretty strong initial sales.

8. jamesward88

jamesward88 Spirit of Ranachan

I really do hope it can chart at #1 though, that would be absolutely wonderful! :)

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  9. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Yeah it seems like the roll out of Egypt Station so far has been a clever operation. My hopes for the new album was not exactley low but I didn t expect much in the way of surprises. But up till now there are some really surprising things happening. The whole loose conceptual thing,the stunning cover, the obviously time and care spent and the rather honest lyrics to I don t know and Happy with you.( the lyrics of the later might be one of Pauls best ever) Also a bit unexpected that some songs seems to deal with sex. Perhaps even more surprising that another deals with a neglected guitar.
    In the end it s the quality of the songs that matters and the 2 songs unearthed are in very different ways both of very high quality and obvious keepers. Come on to me joyous,witty and fun I don t care Paul at his melodic and melancholic best.
    So this album might be a big deal after all
    If not it s not a big deal either but I have a good feeling about this one.
    But ....I don t know
    :)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  10. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I wouldn t be surprised if we will have a new single soon.
    I wouldn t be surprised eithe if that single happened to be Fuh you
    Time will tell

11. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I Fuhing hope it's released tomorrow!

12. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I thought this was the funniest post of the whole thread ...
    Until I read this one! You were in the conedy "zone" last night, Glenn...

13. Sean Murdock

Whoops, then the Target by me is indeed "Super." I feel super special now...

14. Sean Murdock

Then Glenn would be reenacting a classic scene from "The Big Lebowski"...

Glenn Christense and theMess like this.
  15. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident

As a side note, has anyone heard or seen what color the colored vinyl is supposed to be?

16. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The Barnes & Noble version is supposed to be RED:

Egypt Station [Red Vinyl] [B&N Exclusive]

theMess and JFSebastion like this.
  17. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

18. gaels7592

gaels7592 Forum Resident

I believe @mikecarrera thinks the PM.com colored vinyl is the same color but he isn't 100% sure. I'm just gonna keep my preorder for both and see what happens

19. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Ben, I agree that the marketing campaign for Egypt Station has been pretty effective so far .
    Whether that actually translates into sales remains to be seen, but at least they are giving it a good shot.

Based on the two tracks available to us so far I am pretty hopeful that I will like the arranging and production of Egypt Station more than New.

I like New, but I wasn't crazy about the production of some of the songs .

Why do you and others want to hear another single now ?

The album is out in only about a month at this point .

You can't wait and enjoy the freshness of mostly unheard songs when the thing is actually released, you big baby? :shake: ;)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  20. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I agree on the production, NEW was a little over produced. If the songs had the same production as the past two songs they would have been more amazing then they already were!

21. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

There's also, I believe, a "mega" Target which is just an especially big location (and my first experience with Target, many years ago). Target is competing with Egypt Station for amount of versions/variations.

22. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I agree; this album sounds more timeless so far.

As for why I want one now; I’m a McCartney addict and need my fix! It’s got me on the run! :D

Paperback Writer, jlf, Calico and 4 others like this.
  23. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

As much as I would love more singles because I love Paul I am ok with waiting. I also like to hear albums in context. If I were alive in 1970 get back would have sounded like a bonus track on let it be after having the single for so long. And I'm very glad I didn't hear Venus and Mars rock show or you gave me the answer without hearing it on the album. I'm not knocking anyone who does enjoy getting singles ahead I'm just saying that as mouth watering (or should I say earwatering) as another song would be I am anxiously awaiting the full LP.

24. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

looks like it has strawberry flavour.

theMess likes this.
  25. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

I say we will get a lyric video for Happy With You this week, the nature of the lyrics will create a lot of buzz and hype. That will linger in the media for two weeks. Then coordinated with September 9th release, we will get our first fully produced video for Fuh You. That will be the song he performs on late night chat shows. Then there is this (a complete invention in my mind, but) the last time Paul played New York, he made a point of playing various venues throughout the area - I believe MSG, somewhere in Brooklyn and somewhere in New Jersey, it was generous. That being the case, New Yorkers who want to see Paul have recently done so, then why not perform free at Central Park this Fall? The show would get massive attention from the world's media, and he would lose no ticket sales, because that region just paid to see him. Again, this is my invention, I have no clue if this is planned, but it makes sense to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.