Post a single bubblegum card

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Purple Jim, Aug 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member Thread Starter

I ruined my teeth in the 60s buying bubblegum card packs, so I thought it would be nice to have a thread devoted to them.
    Rather than posting loads of grouped images, post just one card at a time.

Perhaps the series of cards that fascinated us the most (because they were gory) was the American Civil war series. Here is card N°1:

[​IMG]

2. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

My favorites are probably the second Dark Shadows series, the green border cards.

And I loved Quentin's Theme. "That music will drive me mad!" :)
    [​IMG]

3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I'll get the obvious example out of the way. :)

'[​IMG]

longdist01, RobRoyF, Exotiki and 7 others like this.
  4. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Can't believe you posted that first, since that was the first set I thought of (I had the entire set as a kid back in
    1962).
    The other set I had at the same time was the great "Mars Attacks" complete set.
    [​IMG]

5. Purple Jim

I still have the full set (and the various dollar bills that came with them)!
    This was our favourite Civil War Card:

[​IMG]

sixtiesstereo likes this.
  6. Purple Jim

7. Purple Jim

8. BeaTleBob5

BeaTleBob5 John, Paul, George, Ringo & Bob

9. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Outer Limits!

[​IMG]

10. Purple Jim

11. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Who the heck is Rick Wise? :)

[​IMG]

JeffB, longdist01, Frankh and 2 others like this.
  12. Purple Jim

13. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

G.O.A.T.

14. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

longdist01, clhboa and 905 like this.
  15. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

I grew up with a lot of these non-sports bubble gum cards, especially Civil War, Mars Attacks, and other classic TOPPS sets painted by Norman Saunders.
    As an adult, mostly through ebay and the hobby conventions, I got back into it, and collected complete sets of many of the original rare card sets from the 1950's and 1960's.
    As we baby boomers have aged, the trade shows and hobby have waned, so I sold off all my sets while the getting was good. I still keep a few cards as mementos, like this classic Ugly Stickes art by Basil Wolverton.

[​IMG]

longdist01, ubiknik, Lonecat and 2 others like this.
  16. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I was more of a "Wacky Packages" guy, myself!...
    but, those were stickers.....[​IMG]

17. BeaTleBob5

Fully agree with you & I'm not a Bruins fan. I had the pleasure of meeting him back in August of 2000 (wow, 18 years ago already) in Ottawa, Ontario Canada. Had my picture taken w/ him and he autographed the famous photograph of his 1970 Stanley Cup winning goal caption. The picture was in a Hockey News special edition that I brought with me. I said to him afterwards "you're the greatest hockey player ever, the best ever" & he humbly thanked me as we shook hands.

Archtop likes this.
  18. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

And still releasing new sets today.

musicarus likes this.
  19. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

The guy was a defenseman and was the most dangerous man on the ice. (and that goes for when the B's were short-handed)
    Gretzky & Mario were great also but were not known for defensive-prowess and did not fight their own battles or jump in to defend their teammates.
    Orr did it all, everytime.

20. keoni

keoni Senior Member

21. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Relaxed Fit Jeans Vibe

22. BeaTleBob5

He changed the way the game is played. He started playing major junior hockey in the Ontario Hockey League at the age of 14 ! Back then junior players played up to the age of 21 because players were drafted at 21 instead of 18. So he played with men at the age of 14 and at 15 was dominating the junior league. During his junior career,he was named to the OHA First-All Star team every season he was in the OHA. Orr had his best season in 1965-66, his fourth season of junior. He scored 38 goals to increase his goal-scoring record and finished with 94 points to average two points per game for the Generals.

He won two NHL scoring championships. No other NHL defenceman ever did. He has the NHL record for a plus/ minus season with a +124. He won the Norris trophy as the NHL best defenceman 8 years in a row, the last 2 playing mostly on one leg !

In 1976 Orr played for Canada in the Canada Cup series against the world's best teams. Despite his knee, Orr's performance in the Canada Cup led to him being named to the tournament All-Star team and he was named the overall MVP for the tournament. According to teammate Bobby Clarke Orr "would hardly be able to walk on the morning of the game. And he would hardly be able to walk in the afternoon. And then, at night, he would be the best player on one of the greatest teams ever assembled. He was the best player in every game; he was the best player in the tournament. He couldn't skate like he used to, but he could still go." According to teammate Darryl Sittler "Bobby Orr was better on one leg, than anybody else was on two."

Orr had dozens of knee operations, most of them on his left knee. Some of his Bruins teammates mentioned that they couldn't look at his knees in the dressing room because the scarring was horrific.

Orr accomplished all of this in a shortened career that saw him having to retire at the age of 31 only playing a total of 26 games in his last two seasons. He was immediately inducted to the Hockey Hall of Fame & still to this day the youngest inductee ever.

Not too shabby, eh ?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    pscreed and Fox67 like this.
  23. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan That's like your opinion, man!

The summer of '78...good times!
    [​IMG]

24. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

[​IMG]

longdist01 likes this.
  25. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.