Monitor Audio Silver 300 first impressions..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Thouston, Oct 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

But you’re on the internet. How do you not have access to YouTube? It’s free!

2. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I’ll be testing the speakers with my current system, which is a CD player.

I’m not sure how I would test them with YouTube audio? Is this done via streaming?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  3. SquishySounds

Your internet isn’t hooked-up to your stereo? That’s where all the audio is.

4. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

No, my hi fi setup is CD only.

I only use YouTube via my laptop or phone.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  5. SquishySounds

You’re missing out on the world’s largest selection of music!
    [​IMG]

SandAndGlass and macster like this.
  6. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Apologies for my ignorance, but what is that lead pictured? HDMI?

Obviously YouTube is a great resource, but I thought that videos aren’t usually in premium audio quality?

7. Thouston

Thouston Forum Resident Thread Starter

I wouldn't apologies to someone that thinks youtube audio at 126 kbps AAC in an MP4 container is a good way to audition speakers.

Yellow Rubber Jacket and Opeth like this.
  8. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I’m going to use the 2009 remaster of Abbey Road, maybe some Lennon, Pink Floyd and Queen.

Thouston likes this.
  9. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Just finished my demo of the 300s. I was able to AB between them and my current Mordaunt Shorts.

Definitely a subtler improvement playing some Beatles stuff to, say, Off The Wall by Michael Jackson, but i was particularly impressed playing I’v Got A Feeling from the Let It Be album.

Now to decide whether to buy or not.

10. Thouston

For what it's worth; I love mine. I think they are impossible to beat for the money.

jl151080 likes this.
  11. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I’m tempted! My issue is I have a surround set up, so by replacing the fronts I’d want to replace the rears and centre too. I demo’d those too, but mainly focused on the 300s and stereo listening. They certainly opened up the music more on the tracks I played.

12. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Did you demo any other speakers before you bought the Monitor Audios?

13. Thouston

Tannoy Revolution xt8f, Tekton Impacts, Kef LS50, MA Silver 8's, MA Silver 6's.
    I bought the Kef LS50 for my office system.

jl151080 likes this.
  14. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Thanks for the info.

Thouston likes this.
  15. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Thouston likes this.
  16. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I just spent several hours listening to these at the very nice Upscale Audio. They were driven by a Prima Luna Prologue integrated (NICE!), fed from a Tidal/Roon setup and a DAC...Lumin, not sure exactly which.
    Everything sounded very nice: Aja, The Doobie Brothers, Diana Krall, all kinds of stuff. I turned out the lights and put on Iron Maiden's "Where Eagles Dare" and then especially "To Tame A Land" which sounded awesome.

I even put on Motorhead's No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith (!!). OK, those speakers (or any other normal speakers) aren't going to crank that to the level I heard at the Cabaret Metro in Chicago once upon a time. Yet the sound out of the 300s was NOT turned into a big smear of distortion, which is pretty amazing. And the drum roll intro to "Iron Horse" had amazing punch, and I could pick out every drum hit spatially. VERY cool.

Their only fault was not sounding as nice as the Focal 936s in the other room...which are larger and twice the price.

I'd previously heard Wharfedale Reva 4s at the friendly Audio Element, and they had a very nice sound at (on sale) a lower price with cooler shaped cabinets than the 300s. The Reva's only flaw was perhaps a distinctness of each driver-I could rather hear the tweeter, mid, and woofers as somewhat distinct. The Focal 936s, no way, totally cohesive. The 300s, not quite to the Focal level of coherent but I didn't notice the drivers very separately.

Unless you really want heavy metal concert levels, or long-pipe organs, or depth charge and such movie effects, no subwoofer needed for any of these. That surprised me, but true. Highly recommended, all three.

caupina and Thouston like this.
  17. MidnightCity

MidnightCity Forum Resident

Has anyone heard the Silver 200? The 300's are just too big for my room but the 200's look like they'd be perfect.

18. drum_cas

drum_cas Forum Resident

Great, Monitor Audio thread!
    I've heard the 300's and really liked the way they handled all the music that was thrown at them. Didn't like the upgrade in the looks though....... Anyway, I'm still very pleased with my Silver 8's. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

I’m with you. I’m also looking at the Monitor Audio Silver 200s for $1500 ($1650 for piano black finish). Can anyone provide insight please? Thanks SHF.

20. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Not much help, but I couldn't be more pleased with my 300s. I'd hate to give up the separate midrange speaker and more bass. Has anyone ever seen a review for the larger 500s?

21. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

Thanks it’s finally time to step up and move on my from my old infinitys

22. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

So I just got a pair of these hooked up in my main system, and it’s as if the tweeter isn’t working. Any thoughts? I’m probably doing something dumb.

23. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

Check the connections, they could be inverted, that could very well be the culript.

24. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

No luck switching those around. Same sound actually.

25. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

What have you tried so far??....different speaker wire, connecting them to a different speaker input on the amp or output on the speaker??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.