The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

FWIW, 5/22/77 is the greatest show of all time. If you haven't, you need to proceed directly there. :D

Ezzie, laf848, Crispy Rob and 5 others like this.
  2. jv66

jv66 Estimated Dead Prophet

Not a bad piece of advice here. It certainly has my favorite help->slip->Franklin!

Crispy Rob, sami and warewolf95 like this.
  3. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

5-17-74, this Playin in the Band might be only half the length of the next version they would play on 5-21, but it's pretty great.

4. warewolf95

And the best "short" Eyes (only 13 minutes) ever. :)

5. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I feel like that is no small feat as there are a lot of words to that song. Cue the teleprompter!

sami and KCWhistle like this.
  6. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I think our resident warewolf is Dave. :nyah:

mmthmj, US Blues, budwhite and 4 others like this.
  7. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Certainly better than the H>S>F from 9/2/83!!!!

8. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Yeah, we own a custom "Skim Box" Lols. I'm still wanting to get the last 10 tho. Might as well...
    I think the Dijon '74 show remains my fave of the first 20.

9. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Picking up on this 08/06/71 mix question: isn't it an AUD patch during drums on DP35, that is then seamlessly merged into the SBD as it kicks in?

Crispy Rob likes this.
  10. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Back and to the left?

JasW and Coltrane811 like this.
  11. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I've never seen them in the same place at the same time...

mmthmj, notesofachord, bzfgt and 3 others like this.
  12. sami

sami Mono still rules

Haven't heard that one yet, but I haven't yet heard a May '77 show that wasn't at least very, very good if not excellent. I absolutely love 5/19.

Crispy Rob, jv66 and warewolf95 like this.
  13. warewolf95

5/22 is probably in the top 3 of the month and probably in the top 10 of the year. Let's put it like that. :D The 2nd set is just....things were ON! Let's put it like that.

Wish I could hear it again for the first time. Happy listening if/when you get around to it! :righton:

Crispy Rob and sami like this.
  14. warewolf95

Has anyone here turned anyone else (family/friends, etc) onto the Dead?

I think I just got my dad into them a bit, lol.

He and I always go back and forth about music and things he's found and this and that. He's not a "proper" music fan ala someone on this forum, but he likes music and has been to loads of shows and this and that. He appreciates it for sure.

So anyways, he grew up in Connecticut on the likes of Marshall Tucker (his favorite), Charlie Daniels, Skynyrd, the Eagles, Neil Young, Allman Brothers, CSN... For whatever reason the whole southern rock thing is what got him. Cool beans.

So anyways, where I'm going with this is that I've always thought of the Dead like a west coast southern rock band. Musically, take away the psychedelics and they fit right into the genre, imo. He was never into the Dead because of the "stereotypes" associated with them, lol, but since I got into them a few years back I've talked about them to him. Musically they are right up his alley, he just needed to listen.

I kept talking to him about cool shows they did and this and that. He always liked hearing about their New Haven concerts considering he saw everyone and their mother at the Coliseum.

Not that he was ever resisting, but I finally got him to bite the bullet this weekend and gave hime a bunch of recomendations, lol. He enjoyed what I told him to listen to a lot.

Mission accomplished. :)

15. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

My wife!!

She never disliked them and always liked songs like Uncle John’s Band or Sugar Magnolia. When my bug got bad back in 2014 going into 2015 she started asking who this guy Dick is!!!

Then she started thinking I was getting carried away and NEVER wanted to hear any of it in the car or anywhere!!

Then JRAD last late summer - then JRAD again and then PHIL live and by now she’s all in except for Primal Dead, feedback and Tiger Jams!!!

3 shows upcoming (High Time on 8/24, Phil’s band on 9/6 & JRAD on 10/18)!!!

16. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Yeah, if one wanted to make a '77 trifecta run show CDr for the car, one could:
    1. DiP 29 (5-21-77)
    2. DiP 3 (5-22-77) Partial show ;(
    3. DaP 1 (5-25-77)

Hmmmmmmm....5/25 still a fave May '77 show. Set II just oozes aquatic psychedelia goodness. I reckon there's good reason why Dave picked it first.
    During "Scarlet," Jerry and Donna get into a lovely lil call and response ala Winterland 10/17/74, iirc.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    RockRoom and warewolf95 like this.
  17. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Yeah if May ‘77 is your thing.

18. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Currently finding myself in the same situation as the UPS man just dropped a 30 Trips sized brick of GoGD up side my head.

Originally, I was planning to just start with the ‘66 as I’ve really been digging on the 60s era Gd and the only other ‘66 I’ve listened to is that which was included on the 50th anniversary edition of the debut album, which felt a bit like surf rock Dead and was fantastic.

However, after reading rumors a while back that April ‘70 may eclipse Feb ‘70, I’m looking at this 4/15/70 with mas curiosity. But then I’ve been finding that ‘68 has been more and more of a sweet spot and there is but a handful of 68 shows in my collection, so I’m looking at 10/20/68 thinking it will be a welcome addition and to start there. Of course, then there’s the 2/22/69 show which is just a few days prior to the FW69 box shows I was just listening to this morning.

However, right now I’m chilling outside on the deck watching the kids play and, since I don’t have a portable boom box CD player, I’ve got the Sonos speaker on tap. If you’ve ever wondered what can be better than a session IPA or a late summer/early fall ‘72 Bird Song, the answer is, of course, an early fall Bird Song (specifically, in this case, a 9/27/72) accompanied by a Highland Brewing Co. Daycation IPA. I mention this because it is making the 9/24/72 show from 30T seem like another good starting point as it nicely fills in a gap in the 9/17 & 21 & 27/72 stretch of my library; looking at the setlist on this one I’m extra intrigued by the late-2nd-set-post-Dark Star-China Cat > Rider. I’m no walking encyclopedia of Dead sets by any means, but I can’t recall having heard any such China Cat>Riders (obviously, they do exist). Although, I do recall listening to one Dark Star last summer, I think it was via Relisten, where it seemed like they were about to go into China Cat as Bob had begun tossing out his opening China Cat lick but no one else followed.

I have no idea how this will play out, but I do know it will be fantastic any which way.

19. John69

John69 Forum Resident

I got my Mom to go to Alpine Valley in 1988 and see the first two nights. I drove out from Connecticut with two friends and picked up my Mom and her childhood friend in Chicago, along with two other friends. The seven of us drove up to Alpine and had the most amazing of times. My mom was game for the whole experience. Camped out with us and everything! She liked the music and thought it was a cool group of people gathered. She kept her mail order ticket on the fridge forever and would tell friends when they came over to visit all about the trip. She also flew me and my brother down to see her in Houston when the Grateful Dead were in town in October 1988. That was just a short ride, not so great show, but a good time none the less.

I turned my brother (who is two years younger) on to the Grateful Dead. He saw about 50 shows and we always had big fun together.

My brother took my Dad to 03/30/90 in Uniondale. My dad grew up loving Elvis, Chuck Berry, Willie Nelson, Jerry Lee Lewis. He had a good time but thought the music was too "computerized." He said it was good when they just played their instruments and not all the computerized spacy stuff. Ha! He does love and sing along when I play Reckoning for him.

20. track11

track11 Forum Resident

This is a question for the numerous lawyers on here (no, not you, philosophy majors!): if a release is no longer in print (i.e., Dave's Picks), what is legally allowed in terms of peer-to-peer distribution? I've always assumed that being in print has no bearing on whether such releases can be shared or not (i.e., they cannot, and if you don't have a copy you are out of luck), but I've also heard otherwise. I know there are 'underground' avenues by which such releases are readily shared amongst those in the GD community, but must that sharing be underground?

Moderators, if this is an inappropriate topic please delete, not that you need my permission :). I am not endorsing or offering anything, just curious.

warewolf95 likes this.
  21. jv66

jv66 Estimated Dead Prophet

Ha true! Not sure if you read an earlier post that mentions my first listen of DaP 27. Anyway I've grown to like the slip and that franklin is faaaast!

warewolf95 likes this.
  22. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

warewolf95 likes this.
  23. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

This sounds like a job for @US Blues :) But personally I might look in the direction of ‘68; there’s been a lot of talk about 10/12/68 lately, or hard to go wrong with 2/14/68. Nearly any second set from the Europe ‘72 tour would be fun.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  24. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Click this link and start at track 19 Jam: 6-26-74 Providence It's DiP 12 disc 1 although a recent Miller release maybe sounding better. Maybe try Relisten if that is not gapless although I currently can't provide a link to the Miller version there.

25. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I think this is pretty clear (I am not a lawyer). Being out of print or not commercially available does not change the legality of "sharing" files.

warewolf95, SBegonias17 and track11 like this.