Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. marka

marka Forum Resident

I used to buy a lot of Monoprice products, and was quite happy. The prices were great, and the quality was high.

I was also happy when they started expanded their product line, until I found that the quality had deteriorated significantly. Cords and cables stopped working after just a short time. It got to the point where my wife would give me a dirty look when I would order something from Monoprice.

The last straw was a soft guitar case, where the zipper failed shortly after I bought it, sending my guitar crashing to the ground.

No more.

Not long after, I saw a Monoprice exhibit at NAAM. I told one of the Monoprice employees about my experience, and they were not happy. They asked for my card, and offered to have someone contact me after the show was over. I think that was 2 1/2 years ago. I’m still waiting...

Buyer beware.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

The entire zipper failed so much your guitar fell out? I can't imagine that. What products did your wife buy from monoprice that failed? I had a problem with one of their HDMI extenders but that was about it. I doubt I would buy any piece of audio equipment or a monitor from them however.

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

I think you'd be better off upgrading your Yamaha AVR, before investing in a 205.

4. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I don't believe I'd be buying anything involving a zipper from Monoprice. I consider them a digital cable store. And digital cables involving zipper strikes of bad design.

marka and gregorya like this.
  5. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

They are optimized for transferring large .zip files... ;)

marka, chili555 and Rolltide like this.
  6. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

As it is said, talk is cheap.

SandAndGlass, marka and gregorya like this.
  7. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

Was this recently? I'd love to get my hands on one of these.

8. I believe it was back in late May or June.

9. marka

marka Forum Resident

Yep, the case looked like an open zipper.

I bought (not my wife), and my wife used phone charging cables which died quickly, and other cables which did the same. Before their product expansion, their cables were great.

10. kenbefound

11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

12. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

13. Well, not really. We always knew there would be multiple shipments of the 205 and that Oppo would be ceasing manufacturing. This just puts an end date on it (September). The only really new information is that no more people can be added to the “interest list.”

The Beave likes this.
  14. kenbefound

As I only became aware of this situation recently, how does this play out? When OPPO notifies me do they provide a link or do I have to call to order?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  15. You get a link and you should order right away. If you wait and they sell out, you are out of luck.

16. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Mazzy, do you remember what line was the subject matter in the notification email? Was it OPPO UDP-205 Order Form?
    Also will it say From: Oppo-Digital Thanks

17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Perhaps you missed the ";)"? Why so serious?

18. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

lol When I read that, I heard Heath Ledger's Joker voice in my head...

Bill Mac likes this.
  19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That's awesome! I didn't mean it to come across that way but now that you mention it...
    [​IMG]

JimW likes this.
  20. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

I didn't think you meant it that way- that's just how I heard it. Just another example of the wacky way I hear things (To quote Gabriel: "Yeah, my head sounds like that"). :crazy: :nyah:

Bill Mac likes this.
  21. The Beave

Great advice. Very sad to see this going down............

But one cool thing, (Cool Thing-you'll etc it later), is this, a ultra quiet cooling fan for our 205's:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G05A2MU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This this is so cool, looks great on the right side of the 205, whisper quiet, and plugs into the usb port on the back of my 205. I got mine on low and you can't hear it at all. No more heat!! And only $13 bucks! And it turns off when you turn the deck off....set it and forget it!
    Massey, since you have yours in a cabinet, you should get one of these....
    Beave

22. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Interesting, overwhelming demand and yet they will stop manufacturing these units. I can’t remember that happening before with other lines of products.

23. I’d say the demand increased after their announced ending. People panicked and some bought multiples. They were selling well but not selling out.

Just like the crazy prices for some of the Beatles mono albums. Once we saw their stock dwindling , some folks stockpiled multiple copies.

tmtomh and eelkiller like this.
  24. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Maybe they are doing well enough with their other products (phones etc.)

25. The Beave

The only thing I can think of is OPPO must have informed their suppliers of their intention to stop production of these, therefore their suppliers probably had limited components to sell to OPPO, with no future production of those components, i.e.: the circuit boards, disc transport etc. To keep going they would have to start the whole chain up again and those suppliers have probably moved on to making other components for other companies.

You know I can see a company like McIntosh cloning an OPPO 205 in their lineup, but at a price of like $6995.00.
    Easily see that, just one model.........
    Beave