Frank Marino Blu-Ray/DVD Finally available!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by calpon, Dec 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffbeckfan

jeffbeckfan New Member

The preview clip on youtube is of incredible quality.

2. jeffbeckfan

jeffbeckfan New Member

Has anyone heard any of the three Fank Marino Rock Candy remasters and if so are they an improvement over the BGO remasters?
    Juggernaught, Power of Rock n Roll in particular?

3. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

Thanks for posting.
    I saw Mahogany Rush in '77 @ Winterland in SF as well as at The 'Monsters of Rock' Day on The Green in '78 (?). Both times he was amazing.

Todd W. and Natvecal. like this.
  4. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

I don't have any FM Rockcandy cds. I have all the BGOs and they work for me. I have bought a few Rockcandy Cds of other artists( Montrose ,Zebra,off the top of my head there may be more.) and to me they are a little harsh sonic wise. So, that's why I gave a pass to the FM s they released(but,hey maybe I'm wrong). Look up what people think of the Rockcandy Remastered CDs in general to get an idea of the company's reputation before buying . I got the Montrose gold disc and it blows the Rockcandy version away is one example. I like the BGOs and if there is anything better,then I'm all ears.

5. Natvecal.

I'm green with envy as I was just getting into the live album about 78/79 a friend had that LP and I was blown away by it! I didn't see Frank until '88( I think) at a small club. Great show! Good for you !

6. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

And so another year went by...

Coricama likes this.
  7. Natvecal.

So it would seem here on ]1/3/2018 ...........and waiting..........for even a bit of news?[/QUOTE]

8. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I've given up on it "long ago" (Frank song reference there).

If it ever appears then that will be a nice surprise however I'm not going to keep looking for it or even news of it etc....

Natvecal. and GodShifter like this.
  9. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I quit caring a long time ago. It hurts less that way :laugh:

kanakaris, Natvecal. and slipkid like this.
  10. warpig

warpig Senior Member

I was there and brought 3 friends. Still have the advertisement from the show.

11. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Another thing about that show I remember - we were outside in line, and this guy is telling my friend Frank doesn't do Hendrix anymore. He tells the guy - you mean to say the guy who swore that Jimi's spirit went into his body doesn't do Hendrix? Well, we went in, and first song - RED HOUSE. My friend looks at him and says - and what the hell is that? "Experts"......LOL

kanakaris likes this.
  12. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I won't believe it is finally coming out until it is in my shaky hands but supposedly the DVD is "done" but delayed now only for various contractual/legal hurdles that they are working on.

13. Natvecal.

What's up here?

14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I got an email from his official forum (I am a registered member up there), sounds like they are trying to contact all the members, let us know this is finally getting close to a release...here is the pertinent text of the email concerning the DVD:

We are getting very close to announcing the release of the Live DVD and we
    will be using this newsletter to announce it. It has been a long time
    coming, but we are near the finish line.

A future email that you receive from us will have all of the information
    regarding ordering of the DVD as well as all other pertinent information
    about the DVD.

Thank you for your patience!

I went up to the forum & read some of the threads about the DVD ( I have not been up there in a very long time) and some of that was talking about how it is actually DONE as of a couple months ago but what is slowing them down releasing it is a myriad of legal/rights type issues with labels etc, guess he may not own the rights to all his older songs, also I hazily recall reading something that the Hendrix estate/organization may be involved in that as well (I guess to get permission for some of the Hendrix covers? Although he did already release some live Hendrix stuff over the years like Voodoo Chile on RealLIVE so I'd imagine that should not be too much of a problem?).

Natvecal. likes this.
  15. Natvecal.

Legal issues.........the cruel banana peel in front of the finish line I fear.... We'll see...

Thanks for the update @slipkid Appreciate it.

clhboa and slipkid like this.
  16. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I can't believe I am saying this - and afraid to jinx it - but I actually believe we'll see this no later than the end of this year, if not sooner I hope.

But you never know. I've been waiting for the new Thin Lizzy/Lynott rarities box or the Humble Pie one that have been in the works for years now also slowed by contractual/legal reasons. Lawyers seem to move slower than molasses going up hill (or could be more related to certain parties asking for certain $ rewards which other parties do not want to fork out for the rights so it just gets stalled as negotiations go on and on until finally various parties reach some kind of agreement). Then there are also issues that come up where certain parties agree on the content but others object to certain tracks for whatever personal reason they might have then that drags things out forever as well.

Natvecal. likes this.
  17. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

From Frank's FB :
    I spent Wednesday evening with Zakk Wylde and Black Label Society when they came out to Montreal for a gig. Not only were they extremely gracious to me and my family, but they are some of the most down-to-earth people I've ever had the pleasure to know. We had such a good time that we were there from 6:30 until well after midnight, just joking around, talking music, hockey, touring and generally having a great time. During all of this, we also got to sit up close and personal on stage-side, and saw an absolutely blistering set by Zakk and the band. They are, without doubt, the real-deal... Zakk, the band, the crew, everybody. And, as if that wasn't enough, Zakk presented me with a gift over which I was stunned. It's a custom SG-style guitar, from his line of guitar and audio gear, and it is painted with the cover of my third album, Strange Universe. This is one of the most beautiful things I have ever received, or even seen. I will always treasure it. I want to thank Zakk and the guys for such a great and memorable evening, and for such a fantastic gift. I hope we get to fulfill our future plans, which is that the next time they're here we'll be getting together at my place for that Sicilian dinner I promised them. Meanwhile, to Zakk and the guys, stay safe on the road and be well, and may God bless you all. - Frank Marino

DVD going to press! Release date on the horizon.

18. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Great story. Thx for posting it.

19. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

From His Forum :
    by Frank Marino ยป Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:06 pm
    All is done. We're in the process of going to manufacturing as of now, but still waiting to get final liner notes, booklet, etc. It will be a box set, 3xBlu-Ray Discs, approximately 6 hours of visual/musical content, and may also include Audio CD's of certain selected material from the show. We are looking at the possibility of Standard DVD, but there are issues with that. We also have to consider PAL/European versions. Friday's sound check is not on this release but may appear in the future. I'm doing this independently... no other company as of this moment. I asked Willy to try to get the names of people who attended so that I could include them in the credits. I've received some but not all. If you are one of those people, please email me your real name. If you know of others, please let them know to do the same if they want to be on there. I'll include however many I receive, but after I go to press I can't add to it, so please act now.

Natvecal. and slipkid like this.
  20. Well for a start there are four albums Rock Candy click the "F" for Frank Marino and all details are there.

I have these and the BGO releases and to be honest I can't hear the differences in any of them.

Frank has told many of us on his website in "The Answer" forum that according to CBS / Sony, all his original masters were wiped, as apparently back in the day tape was expensive and it was a common thing to re-use tape for other bands recordings.
    So with that in mind, he doesn't even know how all these companies can be "remastering" his recordings if the masters no longer exist, once they have been mixed down to make stereo recordings, it is no longer possible to separate the individual musicians.
    He reckons that they are probably using CD's and trying to "enhance" the sounds using digital technology, which is entirely different to remastering, where 4 and 8 track or more recorders are used before finally mixing them.
    Another thing that is pissing him off is the fact that he can't even get the rights to his own music, they want more money than he will ever be able to make for a start, and that with each company that "remasters" his existing catalogue, it takes him further away from achieving that goal anyway.

I see someone mention about the box set that Sony was going to release, Frank mentioned that it was to be a 3CD set and that he was going to add some new tracks, but Sony went back on the agreement that they were making with him (just like they have done for many years), so he withdrew his permission to have it released, and Sony have shelved it.
    This has probably pissed Sony off, and in my opinion, means that they will never let him get the rights to his own music, as they probably had the cash register signs in their eyes when they 1st approached him with this idea.
    Plenty of other musicians over the years have also been caught out by contractual agreements in the same way, which is why Frank doesn't trust may of the record companies and the "suits" that run them, they are not interested in the artists or their music, just what they can get out of it.
    It is the same with doing gigs, most promoters just want to make money, especially out of the merchandise sold on the tours they set up.

If anyone truly wants to support any artist they like, just purchase from the artists website (if they have one), this ensures that they will at least get any "royalties" from their music and take the "middle man / suits" out of the picture from leeching.

Frank has told me and many of his fans that CBS / Sony have never given him or the band any of their dues, but they still soldier on regardless, in fact he hung up his guitar for a few years, until he was on the internet one day and found the site that Wild Willy Parsons had set up, www.mahoganyrush.com which kicked it all off again... thank God for that!

Anyone that is really into Frank will have already registered at the site, if you haven't come and join us, you can also find us on Facebook

Steve Hicks
    or
    Franksters

But at Frank's site you can also ask him (personally) questions on "The Answer" forum.

See you there.

21. I hope you told the guy that the bit about " Jimi's spirit went into his body" was just a load BS that the press thought up (probably from CBS / Sony) to try and help sell his records, of which I mentioned previously, didn't actually help Frank out!

22. Yamahaha

Yamahaha Sir Pepe of LePew

He had to get permissions to use his own songs. Like almost every young artist at the time he signed his life away. Ah the record business.

23. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

unclefred and Natvecal. like this.
  24. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Official Frank Marino...

Statement about the release of our Concert Video

This is it. After much work and even more waiting, I can announce the details of the Video Concert.
    It's a Box-Set presented in Blu-Ray Format (HD-1920x1080) and Standard DVD Format (SD-720x480).
    Both formats are included in the Box-Set, Blu-Ray on one Disc and DVD on 3 additional Discs.
    There is also included a multi-chapter Book, primarily historical, in-depth, and written by a journalist.
    The Book also has 20 or more extra chapters written by me, on a very personal level.
    The music has been pared down and assembled so as to run for about 6 hours.

The song-list is as follows:

Guitar Intro
    A New Rock & Roll
    All In Your Mind
    Child Of The Novelty
    I'm Going Away
    Buddy
    Are You Experienced
    Bold As Love
    The Wind Cries Mary
    Blues Intro
    Red House
    The Answer
    Dragonfly
    Chains Of Space
    Space Unchained
    Long Ago
    Requiem For A Sinner
    In My Ways
    It's Begun To Rain
    Strange Dreams
    Rise Above
    IV... (The Emperor)
    Window To The World (Excerpt)
    IV... (The Emperor) (Return)
    You Got Livin'
    Finish Line
    Midnight Highway
    Maybe It's Time
    Tryin' Anyway
    Go Strange
    Poppy
    Heat Of The Moment (Excerpt)
    Poppy (Return...)
    She's Not There
    Crossroads
    She's Not There (Return)
    Poppy (Return)
    Guitar Prelude ( ... To A Hero)
    Stories Of A Hero
    Something's Comin' Our Way
    He's Calling
    Let There Be...
    Strange Universe
    Ode To Creation
    Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame
    Ain't Dead Yet (Excerpt)
    Back To The Hall
    Slippin' And Slidin'
    Back To The Hall Again
    Two 'n' Four
    Rattle Of Sabres
    Electric Reflections Of War
    Aftermath
    O Little Town Of Bethlehem
    The World Anthem
    A Prayer For Peace
    Try For Freedom
    Amazing Grace
    End-Credits (includes 5 extra minutes of music)

We'll be offering this directly, by mail. The price will be around $100 dollars and I'll autograph copies if asked. I sincerely hope that people will support us because only if it's somewhat successful will we have the resources to tour. Details about how to get it (and where to go to order it) will be announced only when we've received the Final Masters from the pressing plant, which we're now awaiting. We could take orders right now, but I don't want to do that until I hold the actual copies in my hand (I've learned a lot about "Murphy's-Law" during the last while!). I know that many folks have waited a long time for this, and some thought it might never come. Please accept my apologies for the delay. We could've released it a year ago, or more, but we hadn't yet acquired the rights to play some of the songs on it, including some of my own songs (which copyrights aren't owned by me anymore). That's what took the extra time, and we hadn't expected that. Heck, I hadn't expected any of this to happen the way it did. But now it's finally here, God willing.

Peace to all.

Frank

25. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Awesome news :)

kanakaris likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.