The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

2. Gray Beard

Gray Beard Forum Resident

Thank you sir.

One thing that’s great about all these Dead recordings is that we really get to study the growth of songs in arrangement, style, length of jam, etc.

3. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

My pleasure. And indeed; I made a comp for myself from the versions I have from official releases that contains these versions of Playin':

The Evolution of the Jam
    11/15/71
    3/22/73
    3/26/72
    3/27/72
    3/28/72
    4/7/72
    4/8/72

The first one that really stands up and screams at me is 3/27/72 ("filler" on disc 1 of DP 30). 3/28/72 is also strong and by 4/8/72, Jerry's already found at least one remote asteroid.

Crispy Rob and KCWhistle like this.
  4. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

When I popped in Dave's 26 and it kicked off with a standalone Truckin' followed by an eight-minute Sugaree, I knew I was in unfamiliar territory.

Crispy Rob, mmthmj, budwhite and 2 others like this.
  5. John69

John69 Forum Resident

Here is what I have lined up to listen to later. I might not get to it all today, but as long as my feet hit the ground tomorrow I can finish it then.
    A day to remember...

04/08/72 - Dark Star-Sugar Magnolia-Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks)
    12/31/72 - Truckin'-Drums-The Other One-Morning Dew-Sugar Magnolia
    06/26/74 - Jam-China Cat Sunflower-I Know You Rider
    11/05/79 - Eyes Of The World-Estimated Prophet-Franklin's Tower
    03/03/81 - China Cat Sunflower-I Know You Rider
    12/03/81 - Black Peter
    08/03/82 - Shakedown Street-Samson And Delilah-To Lay Me Down
    06/25/85 - Big Railroad Blues-Jack Straw-Might As Well
    03/27/87 - Drums-Space-Uncle John's Band-Morning Dew-Johnny B. Goode
    06/19/89 - All Along The Watchtower-Black Peter-Throwing Stones-Not Fade Away
    08/19/89 - Drums-Space-The Other One
    06/16/90 - China Cat Sunflower-I Know You Rider
    09/20/90 - Drums-Space-Dark Star-Playing In The Band Reprise-Dark Star

laf848, Crispy Rob, mmthmj and 5 others like this.
  6. Archtop

Take a listen to the 8/6/71 version that was inexplicably left off of DP 35. It's not stand-alone but it's relatively short and the last 2 minutes before drums is worth it, trust me.

David Crosby plays 12-string during this segment (and possibly more or possible less than all of it) and there's a really interesting minute or so at the very end of TOO into the first bit of Dew that sounds exactly like 1981 King Crimson. Really.

7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

If you are thinking of the box set versions, they are all from the multitracks Betty recorded and have a consistent sound. The exception is 4/24/72 where they reused the earlier mix from Rockin' the Rhein, where they took some more liberties compared to the box set mixes.

8. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I would think it is the unique character each place imparts to a Grateful Dead performance...and how that aligns it with the particulars of the tripper's circumstances...

Crispy Rob, US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Listened this week to 5/15/83 Greek Theatre. Very good early 80's Help-Slip-Frank. Not sure how it compares overall to the Boise version from the recent Dave's Pick, but it doesn't have the mistakes of that version.

Crispy Rob, mmthmj and ianuaditis like this.
  10. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

As a massive Crimson fan, I’ll have to check that out for myself!

Crispy Rob and Archtop like this.
  11. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

They played it solo a lot through 71, often as a show opener, they'd just kind of wind the jam down.
    Sounds like a pretty good custom title.

mmthmj and bzfgt like this.
  12. Archtop

The Crimson bit is TOO--> Dew from 12/31/72. Your quoting of me suggests that you may think it's from the 8/6/71 Truckin'. Just FYI.

13. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Hmm me too. Now set me straight here, are we talking about 8/6/71 or does this tie back to the comments on 12/31/72 @Archtop - EDIT OK I see you just clarified this above.

[​IMG]

Ray29, GuidedByJonO))), trd and 5 others like this.
  14. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Speaking of the evolution of “Playin’ in the Band”, anyone know the first version to feature Donna’s battle cry? The version from 3/28/72 features a righteous one, but then I put on the 3/23/72 version from the Rockin’ the Rhein bonus disc and there was no Donna. I don’t have the 3/27/72 version handy to check. I recall reading somewhere, probably here, that, aside from a guest appearance sometime near the end of ‘71, Donna’s first appearance as a member of the group was sometime during this Academy of Music run of performances, which certainly would explain her absence on the 3/23 and presence on the 3/28 versions.

15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

3/25 was the first live Playing with Donna, but she was absent on 3/26. Here is a writeup from Deadessays about the Academy run mentioning it.

16. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

I checked it out, but may be in the wrong spot. TOO has a fairly dissonant bit at the end, but it doesn’t go into Dew. Sugar Magnolia is the song before Dew on the source I found.

Not sure I hear Crimson, but it definitely sounds a little atypical and dissonant.

17. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Meant 3/23, 26 & 27/72 as the Playin’ on DiP30 disc 1 is actually from the 27th and not the 25th.

18. Archtop

You misread my post. I discussed 8/6/71 in the context of Jerry's solo at the end of Truckin. Then, in a completely unrelated statement, I discussed the Crimso thing at the end of TOO--> Dew from 12/31/72. I always consolidate my posts rather than having disparate concepts in consecutive posts.

In any case, it's the last ~40 seconds of TOO and the first ~10 seconds of Dew. You'll hear it and you will immediately think of a specific track on Discipline.

19. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

It was on a different reel to The Other One > end of show, that's why - per the discussion here a few days back (I know how hard it is to keep up here!), only the end of the show was known to exist & available when DP35 was compiled.

It IS very good, though!

20. US Blues

The '71 material was discussed at length the other day, the houseboat tapes did not have the Truckin' from 6 Aug 1971, a later batch of SBD's brought that to our ears.

So, you're saying the Dead were a full 9 years ahead of King Crimson? :nyah:

Crispy Rob, SBegonias17 and Archtop like this.
  21. Archtop

Well, I've had that Truckin'--> Drums from 8/6/71 on a very decent sounding cassette for over 30 years. It's not exactly the same mix as used for DP 35 (Phil is more prominent on DP 35; not in terms of overall volume but in terms of what notes you can and cannot hear) but it has a very similar "crunchy" sound as what was released.

SBegonias17, bzfgt and US Blues like this.
  22. US Blues

That's the audience recording. Until the houseboat tapes (Dick's 35) not a moment of the SBD's circulated. This stuff can be quite confusing at times.

23. US Blues

There is this factor as well, which is why the Egypt shows don't sound or feel like a show from the Philly Spectrum, or Winterland. Some folks out in the wider world are only interested in when they "rock out," yet overlook the subtle nuances that smaller venues and mellower scenes brought forth.

Crispy Rob, jv66, mmthmj and 6 others like this.
  24. Gray Beard

Gray Beard Forum Resident

Thanks to all regarding PITB. Nice write up on the Academy of Music run. Is DP 30 any good?

25. US Blues

Heck yeah!

laf848, Crispy Rob, jv66 and 3 others like this.