Ballad of J & Yoko-Old Brown Shoe- Abbey Road or Let it be

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnny moondog 909, Aug 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

If you're talking about adding the single sides as bonus tracks, Abbey Road makes more sense. The songs were recorded during the Abbey Road sessions, and they weren't recorded more or less live the way most of Let It Be was.

dee likes this.
  2. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Ballad of John and Yoko is not weak, it's very catchy, and that's from somebody who would generally prefer to not hear Yoko's name mentioned.

3. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan Thread Starter

While Ballad Of John & Yoko is a completely overdubbed construct in the studio. As opposed to a live Beatles take & performance.

It is obviously designed to mimic a four piece band doing a rock N roll song, which is very much in keeping with the Get Back/Let it be idea. I me mine, let it Be & other tracks aren't real live in studio performances either.

Having said that, they sonically fit more on Abbey Road. But again, Let it be needs em & Abbey Road doesn't. Let it be especially needs another Lennon song or two. Universe & One After 909 ( arguably ) shouldn't even be on there. Don't let me down of course should be.

ralph7109 and Mr. D like this.
  4. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

I would drop For Your Blue (throwaway Blues filler) in favour of Old Brown Shoe. I also like the idea of adding The Ballad of John and Yoko, Don’t Let Me Down, All Things Must Pass (the Demo - it’s awesome), and maybe even Paul’s generous gift to Mary Hopkins, Goodbye (recorded during the Let It Be period)

Here is my tracklist for the Let It Be album.

Side One

Two of Us
    The Ballad of John and Yoko
    I Me Mine
    Across the Universe (Anthology version)
    The Long and Winding Road
    Old Brown Shoe
    Let It Be

Side Two:

All Things Must Pass (demo)
    Goodbye
    One After 909
    Don’t Let Me Down
    I’ve Got A Feeling
    I Dig A Pony
    Get Back

MitchLT, Mr. D, gja586 and 3 others like this.
  5. 905

905 Senior Member

I like the Hey Jude album as is. But since Let It Be is a bit slim time wise for it's era, these two songs would be able to fit on it and they'd sound in place.

ralph7109 and stevenson66g like this.
  6. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

I probably would have subbed in "Old Brown Shoe" for "For You Blue" if it were up to me.

EDIT: I see I'm not the only one with that idea. They should have asked us! :D

7. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I never thought to include "Ballad Of John & Yoko" or "Goodbye",

Here is my reworked Let It Be from the thread that was going around last month:

Get Back
    Two Of Us
    Dig It
    Across The Universe
    Don't Let Me Down
    I Me Mine
    The Long & Winding Road

Dig A Pony
    Teddy Boy
    I've Got A Feeling
    Old Brown Shoe
    One After 909
    A Case Of The Blues
    Let It Be

The Ideal Let It Be

DK Pete and Diamond Star Halo like this.
  8. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

SIDE 1
    1. Get Back
    2. Dig A Pony
    3. For You Blue
    4. The Long and Winding Road
    5. Maggie Mae/Dig it
    6. The Ballad of John and Yoko
    7. Old Brown Shoe
    SIDE 2
    8. Two of Us
    9. One after 909
    10. I've Got a Feeling
    11. I Me Mine
    12. Don't Let Me Down
    13. Let it Be

This is my new version of "Let it Be" or "Get Back". The 2 songs fit best here. I just struggle to include Across the Universe as it doesn't stylistically fit and the WWF version is my preferred one.

I would like a remixed version of this album. Keep some studio chatter too.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Carlox and Chrome_Head like this.
  9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

But Yoko (nor John) is never mentioned in the song.

MitchLT, Rich C and uzn007 like this.
  10. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

This strikes me as funny in an ironic sort of way. I had the same general feeling as the poster to whom you were responding. But the song does create a visual where it sure seems the names are mentioned, don't you all think?

I have always loved this song, but it being on Let It Be would provoke too much negative energy based on the sad history of the sessions.

I think it's just great on Hey Jude and Past Masters.

Hermes likes this.
  11. SJB

I agree that some of the tracks on Let It Be were recorded outside the January 1969 sessions, and/or have overdubs that spoil the "live" ethos that was the ostensible purpose of the project. But it was what it was. I wasn't thinking of a complete reshuffling of the late-period catalog, complete with moving around core album tracks. My only thought was: If Past Masters were deleted from the catalog, and its constituent parts redistributed as bonus tracks, then where would J&Y and OBS go?

I suppose one could split the difference and put the more basic-sounding J&Y on Let It Be (along, of course, with "Don't Let Me Down"), and put the more-produced OBS on Abbey Road.

As for where to put "You Know My Name," it was a 1970 B-side but it is clearly out of place with either of the two final albums. Instead, I'd stick it on a Summer of Love disc with MMT, the canceled Yellow Submarine EP, both sides of "Lady Madonna" and "You Know My Name." (With all those tracks, people could shave off "Penny Lane"/"Strawberry Fields Forever" as bonus tracks for Pepper if it means that much to 'em.)

ralph7109 likes this.
  12. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Good point. May as well also throw out "Blackbird," "Julia," "Yesterday," "Good Night," "For No One," and "She's Leaving Home," too, to name a few, since those also only have one or two Beatles performing on them... :doh:

MitchLT, ralph7109, dee and 3 others like this.
  13. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

Hell, we should throw out about half of the Beatles’ post-1967 output while we’re at it. Those definitely aren’t Beatles songs either.

;)

MitchLT and Haristar like this.
  14. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

They always sounded a bit unpolished to me so - Let It Be.

Diamond Star Halo likes this.
  15. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

You Know My Name is out of place anywhere. :laugh:

uzn007 likes this.
  16. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

I actually like that single way more than I like "Abbey Road". Or "Let It Be", for that matter.

Rich C likes this.
  17. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Oh, you mean the proto-solo years of 1968-1970? ;)

Diamond Star Halo likes this.
  18. SJB

An interesting idea (that I won't try to piece together right now) would be a double disc. Disc 1 would be polished and perfected versions of the Let It Be songs - basically using ...Naked as a template. Spector overdubs at the end as bonus tracks. Disc 2 would be the "warts and all" version with breakdowns, chatter, jamming, etc. - such as John's "bleep bloochy goo" fluff during the rooftop performance of "Don't Let Me Down."

Somerset Scholar likes this.
  19. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I don't think either one fits on Abbey Road...maybe Let It Be..and even at that, only OBS which I'd put in place of I Me Mine which is about the only Harrison/Beatles track I never really liked. I think OBS would make a nice replacement for it both rhythmically and in terms of the overall sound. It's a far superior song to IMM, in my opinion. Ballad, much like Lady Madonna, I can't hear on any proper album (as opposed to compilations). It just strikes me as a stand-alone 45.

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  20. Riverwest

Riverwest Forum Resident

I don't think any songs fit the dour wholly depressing Let It Be album.

21. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

mentioned in the title.

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yup. Heck, how much of the White Album would be left if we adhered to that concept?

supermd likes this.
  23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Let It Be" all the way. They just "sound like" "LIB" songs more than they would fit "AR"...

stevenson66g likes this.
  24. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

The Ballad of John and Yoko is one of the best Beatles songs. I can't believe it when people say they don't like that song. It's so great.

25. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Old Brown Shoe should replace both George songs on Let it be (I Me Mine, For You Blue) Ballad of jay would be great on Let It Be too.

This is a perfect solution to an old problem, having to do with that those two were just about the bottom of the whole catalog, to me. I don't think it's a good way for george to go out. OBS though would be great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.