Dave Grohl - Play

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DML71, Aug 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverwest

Riverwest Forum Resident

I don't care much for Grohl or his Shtick - but I really enjoyed this.
    Drums are mixed a bit hot for me - although played very tight - I
    think if he let his inner Matt Chamberlain out this tune would
    have had more impact.

He makes being in the studio look like loads of fun.

mradmack, longaway and Elliottmarx like this.
  2. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I believe he’s talking about his Probot album where he had a lot of metal artists guest such as Lenmy, King Diamond, etc.

Probot - Wikipedia

3. Further

Further Forum Resident

He's listened to a few Rush albums in his time, that's for sure. haha

Lands End Drums likes this.
  4. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

That needed some lead guitar.
    I like Dave though, and I'm a fan of the Foo Fighters. Used to find them bland until I saw them live. They rocked. Hard.

Elliottmarx likes this.
  5. 9 Volt

9 Volt That cat's something I can't explain

That was a different project. Them Crooked Vultures was a sort of supergroup consisting of Dave Grohl, John Paul Jones and Josh Homme back in 2009-10.

Dorian75 likes this.
  6. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Can’t believe that came out 9 years ago already. Time needs to slow the fk down!

bizmopeen and 9 Volt like this.
  7. 9 Volt

9 Volt That cat's something I can't explain

Seems this new Dave Grohl thing isn't getting much of a reaction. It's pretty much *crickets* around here. Not surprising though. If Ringo had put this track together the thread would already be 98 pages long...

8. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

I love Grohl and all that he represents. He seems genuine, gentle and generous. He is not embarrassed by rock and roll, makes no apologies for believing like Townshend and Bono before him that this art form is more powerful (and possibly more essential) than other popular arts. He carries the torch. Occasionally baffoonish but endlessly respectful to his mentors, peers and audience. He largely keeps out of politics, loves his mom and doesn't sell his songs off to commercial interests.

He got lucky when he was young, but then spent the rest of his life working incredibly hard to maintain his craft and career.

Sometimes even his music is affecting, but not always. Still he is the kind of rockstar that I most appreciate and I think the field is much better off for the likes of him.

Now, I was certain after watching his video that at the end one would be told that all proceeds were going to music education, or that one should support music education. Like, I was positive that was going to happen. I was ready to buy a copy for that precise reason. It didn't. I didn't.

mradmack, Sadcafe, theMess and 6 others like this.
  9. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident

I think that speaks loads in itself. I listened to the track and didn't leave a comment because I'm indifferent to Grohl and FF. Being a huge fan of prog and long songs overall, I think the song is only OK, but it's better to have a quiet thread than a DG bashfest, because that's not exactly his niche. I, on the other hand, am interested on what those that liked the song think of it, so I'll visit this thread a couple more times, but like you said, not much of a reaction.

10. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

For what was there, I loved it, it is a fantastic foundation and has multiple beautiful levels. But I don't think it sounds finished. It doesn't need vocals, but I do agree it definitely needs some soloing instruments to embellish that foundation with some more melodies and counterpoint to lift what is already there.

I'm used to a lot of long instrumental pieces done as a one-man-band, with all the Mike Oldfield I listen to. This could really use some Oldfield guitar solos in it, or pipes, or something else adding some melodic toppings. Oldfield doesn't always have to do everything himself, he is not a drummer. When he needs a drummer to serve the material, he hires one of the best. Grohl is not a guitar soloist. There is no shame in just being a great rhythm section then hiring one or more of the best lyrical guitarists or instrumentalists of various specialty to serve the rest of the song melodically. It wouldn't take that much to put this project into real greatness, it just wouldn't be a one-man-band project anymore. That's a shame, because it's so close, but not quite there yet without the finishing touches.

11. Safeway 1

Safeway 1 "mad, bad, and dangerous to know"

I love it. Mentoring those kids, just enjoying himself. A lot of people bemoan the death of R&R and here is someone still keeping the flame alive. A recent thread around here was what was the last "classic rock" recorded or something like that. The "classic" sound is not dead. There is so much great music out there still being made, and I'm sure I haven't heard 99% of it. If you put all the music in the world on a pie chart (I won't) probably what we actually hear is such a small fraction of the pie it would be hard to see. That's what I love about this forum still at 62 years old I discover new and old music unheard to my ears. Great music didn't stop at the end of the 60s or 70s or 80s or whenever. It's still out there. If David Gilmour and Nick Mason put this little jam together a lot of people would be screaming "They're back!"
    Peace!!

RomanZ and Tankbass73 like this.
  12. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

If FF is the last flame of r&r (right), let it die.

13. Safeway 1

Safeway 1 "mad, bad, and dangerous to know"

Never said he was the last. As I said there are lots of options out there. I can tell you really enjoy his stuff.

nodeerforamonth likes this.
  14. longaway

longaway Senior Member

I thought it was pretty cool. The video & concept, I mean. The final track is okay.

As for Grohl himself, he comes across as very genuine. Now, whether he is or isn't is something I have no interest in looking into. This is one I'm willing to buy into.

Here, listening to him talk about playing just for the joy of playing...it was nice. It was refreshing. There aren't many musicians, much less legit stars, who make you feel as if actually having fun with an instrument is enough. He does.

bizmopeen and Safeway 1 like this.
  15. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

Really good. No blisteringly fast guitar solos but an interesting great sounding piece. I’ve just listened to it on my main system on Qobuz and it’s the drumming that stands out as you would expect, but it’s a cool experiment. Going to watch the video later.

Dorian75 likes this.
  16. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

I think you might mean Sound City? HBO doco and accompanying album.

Markyp and theMess like this.
  17. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

For me, TCV never connected. Strange, as I love nearly everything else JPJ or Dave Group have been involved in (OK, I'm fairly indifferent to Josh Home's work, on the whole).

Could it be that the crap sonics on the CD have repelled me?

18. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

Too pointless and self indulgent.

Northwind likes this.
  19. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

Watching this just confirmed for me even more that Dave is so freaking good behind the drums.

vamborules, applebonkerz and Dorian75 like this.
  20. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

That, plus the they do sound quite a bit like QOTSA, especially given that Josh sings. So that may explain it.

21. patokiss

patokiss Forum Resident

I watched it last night. It was what I expected in a way. I love the concept, he reminds me in a way to McCartney, always pushing. But he's not McCartney... Anyway, hats off to Dave for this. He's DOING music, with REAL instruments. Percussion, acoustic, electric. great combination. Everything sounds great.
    Although, it has a lot of dynamics, it lacks of a couple of thing that could have enriched the piece, like some main vocals or vocal harmonies here and there, some leads with guitar or bass but ok, it's not his thing...

I think it's a "watch on youtube" thing, not something to sit and listen on record to me. But Dave has to pay the record session bills...

22. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

Same here, watch on Youtube is good enough. But, no, Dave doesn't have to pay the recording bills because he owns the studio!

23. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

Rock is kinda dead though if it's being taught like that in schools. Rock is learning to play by yourself with friends. I did the teacher thing for a while and it was kinda soul-killing. You want to say to the kids: Listen, go home and listen to music obsessively. Become a freak. Then, get an instrument because you feel like you'll die if you don't learn to play music. It's all good but there is something very antiseptic about that culture . . . and Grohl's music, too, to be honest

24. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

This 'Play' only shows that Dave Grohl can play drums and he's decent at other instruments (guitar, bass), but he definitely CANNOT write a prog epic

25 min of showoff, going nowhere. Almost completely lacking melody, harmony and excitement. It's just a collection of ideas, trying to sum 20+ minutes just to be called "epic".

The Smashing Pumpkins' 'Pastichio Medley' was way more interesting and innovative. 22 years earlier than this 'Play'
    Even the title 'Play' isn't new at all. It's been used by Moby, Peter Gabriel, Jason Vieaux, etc

Northwind likes this.
  25. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

It’d be difficult to play a fake instrument, like a guitar made of papier-mâché, I guess.

Or unless that’s a condescending remark about how modern instruments that aren’t guitars and drums aren’t ‘real’?

There’s an entire thread about how he’s surpassed everything that guy and his band ever achieved. Fascinating reading.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.