Every UK #1 Single Of 1974 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Randoms, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

All I seem to have said in this thread is that each record is “OK”.:D

It’s the same with When Will I See You Again.. It’s pleasant enough. The Three Degrees were always a bit cabaret to me. My favourite record by them was The Runner. 1974 was the year of soul in the UK. No wonder I didn’t want to do this thread.:)

Randoms likes this.
  2. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

The Runner was easily their best single, they really should have carried on in that direction.
    As you say they were pure cabaret, they even appeared on The Wheeltappers and Shunters Club, but then so did Alvin Stardust.
    Actually many of those 70's acts were almost cabaret, Mud, Showaddywaddy, Guys n' Dolls etc

goodiesguy, Randoms and Bobby Morrow like this.
  3. Alf.

Alf. Forum Resident

I liked 'The Philly Sound', and always had a soft spot for The Three Degrees; they released a clutch of really good singles. It's a shame Sheila Ferguson left, in the mid '80s, as she was really their lynchpin.

goodiesguy, bob60 and Randoms like this.
  4. Bobby Morrow

Here’s the Record Mirror singles page for this week. You might have to zoom in a bit as some of these scans aren’t great..

[​IMG]

bob60 and Randoms like this.
  5. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense Thread Starter

I probably appreciate it far more now, but again prefer The Runner. I think I'm covered with The Three Degrees showing up on several compilation albums.

bob60 and Bobby Morrow like this.
  6. Randoms

What a mix of singles!

Osmonds to Zappa via Hawkwind.....

The second Showaddywaddy single, which of course I bought, the third (and last!!) Paper Lace single I bought, Gee Baby, another Alvin single, and a re-release of the incredible Peter Sarstedt 1969 number one, Where Do You Go To (My Lovely).

bob60 and Bobby Morrow like this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

And Fox’s Only You Can where RM shorten the title and describe it as being by 4 girls. Good old RM.

The Osmonds hitting these threads for the final time soon. @sunspot will be thrilled. Love Me For A Reason is soul again.

Northernlight and Randoms like this.
  8. Randoms

Yes, I noticed the missing 'Can', from the lovely Noosha, before she hit her S-S-S-Single Bed.

9. Bobby Morrow

Don’t forget Imagine Me Imagine You. The first Fox album is actually really good.

10. Mulderre

Mulderre 60s and 70s Music Lover

Actually they were right! Fox (or GTO) issued this single twice. One as Only You, which flopped, then in 1975 they added Can in the title. That time it went all the way to number 3.

tin ears and Randoms like this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

Oh right. I didn’t know that.

Randoms likes this.
  12. Mulderre

What can I say about When Will I See You Again? It is a great song. Philadelphia soul at its best. They had more hit singles than Motown at this stage. Contrarily to what the rest may think, I prefer their soul approach rather than the disco period. Their other big hit in that era was again flawless, Take Good Care Of Yourself. Yes, I am beginning to love soul, little by little.

goodiesguy, sunspot42 and Randoms like this.
  13. Mulderre

A lot of future new entries: Black Lace's last hit single, Alvin Stardust's beginnings at cabaret-pop (?), Showaddywaddy's follow-up to Hey Rock And Roll, Peter Shelley's mellow song (and a great hit), KC's arrival in the UK charts and The Osmonds later number one.

Oh, and for the folk connoiseurs, The Yetties had released the new single. Dorset response to The Wurzels!

carlwm and Randoms like this.
  14. Randoms

You were not alone!

I only remember Only You Can, not Only You: big UK hit in February 1975.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Bobby Morrow likes this.
  15. Randoms

I have a feeling that I may have seen The Yetties!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  16. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

The story of this is very similar to that of Smokey Robinson & The Miracles' "The Tears Of A Clown" in 1970: Its success in the U.K. led to a U.S. release which did just as well (though in this case, it didn't top the pop charts, nor were any "updated" instrumental backing added). In the U.S., Philadelphia International issued the A side as a single #ZS8 3550 on Sept. 4, 1974 with a different B side, "Year Of Decision":
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

sunspot42, Bobby Morrow and Randoms like this.
  17. W.B.

And here is the U.S. B side (which had been previously issued on a 45 on both sides of the pond):

Bobby Morrow and Randoms like this.
  18. W.B.

A few pointers:
    - Lee Grant was not the American actress, but a performer (male) who also did some acting under the name Bogdan Kominowski. He appeared, uncredited, in a cabaret segment of one of Benny Hill's 1984 shows.
    - The Tom Jones entry is of note in that that A side was covered in two Benny Hill shows in the 1970's - in both cases by his 1975-77 resident singer/burly type, Eddie Buchanan. I actually have the US Parrot #5N-40080 issue of this, CBS Pitman-pressed:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I also have the Paper Lace single - on US Mercury, of course.

goodiesguy, Bobby Morrow and Randoms like this.
  19. Randoms

This is what mine looked like.

[​IMG]

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  20. W.B.

Americans would have gotten it thus:
    [​IMG]

Randoms likes this.
  21. Randoms

Intersting that the Bus Stop logo was still on the Mercury label.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  22. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

"When Will I See You Again" is one of the loveliest singles of the decade and a real breath of fresh air. These three girls picked up where The Supremes had left off, and thanks to the UK for making this a big hit here in the US (although it didn't quite reach the pole position on this side of the pond).

Randoms likes this.
  23. Three Degrees - When Will I See You Again
    Have always loved this...great song.
    5/5

goodiesguy and Randoms like this.
  24. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

Fun Fact:
    When Will I See You Again represents the beginning of a UK chart run for the Three Degrees while in the US it represented the last of the band's US chart run, which had began in the 1960s, including this classic remake of a Chantels hit:

Randoms and sunspot42 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.