50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Sepia? :D

nikh33, jmxw and tinnox like this.
  2. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

Really interesting. I always thought Dear P was one of Ringos finer moments (and now maybe it is). As far as I know, Paul never drummed like that again. So who knows!

Bern and tinnox like this.
  3. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

The reason for the change in ambiance of the drums is because they were overdubbed by Paul.
    The original live drum track wasn't used during that complex part but it can be heard through leakage of the vocal track.

Onder and tinnox like this.
  4. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Was brought up already...see post 6342.
    I agree with you that it's Ringo. But there's no documentation to prove it.

Bern

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    tinnox likes this.
  5. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

It sure sounds like the same drumming Paul did on Strawberry Fields so who knows?

tinnox likes this.
  6. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Hmmmm speaking of Ringo....his first sole composoition is coming up...

tinnox likes this.
  7. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

The Beatles were a four-headed beast.

Maybe you're only a fan of 3/4 of the band but some of us like the whole group. :p

Drewzel, jlf, oboogie and 8 others like this.
  8. The Ole' Rocker

The Ole' Rocker Forum Resident

I’m confused. I thought Ringo did the basic drum track on “Strawberry Fields...” with someone else (maybe Ringo) adding a snare overdub.

tinnox likes this.
  9. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Re: Dear Prudence drum freakout

It's either Paul's best drumming or Ringo's worst...

It works out well in the mixes but listening to that part isolated, it's so clumsy it has to be Paul - I thought it was two separate parts at first, so badly co-ordinated are the 4 limbs.

jtiner, zobalob, Onder and 3 others like this.
  10. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

What's interesting is right around 5:16 when the high piano flourishes start, the snare drum sound changes a lot. Sounds like maybe an edit right there. Suddenly the snare is very live, ringing and open. Before that, the whole kit, including the snare sounds like it was recorded with Ringo's famous tea towels dampening the drums, as was his convention for a lot of the White Album and Abbey Road.

So what is going on there? Is Paul drumming the whole song until that ringing snare drum comes in at the end. Is that a nice switch (edit) to Ringo playing the climatic drum ending to the song? Seems very possible from the sound of it. :agree:

tinnox and Bern like this.
  11. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Yeah but Paul is left handed so those fills will have a "left hand" feel. IIRC, both Paul and Ringo (and maybe even George) have mentioned that Ringo doesn't play on Dear Prudence, so all three of their memories would have to be very faulty....Doesn't sound like Ringo to me, regardless, just an overdub by Paul. The whole drum tracks for this and USSR were a patchwork job by Paul mostly, but some contributions for John and George to approximate what Ringo might have done. They didn't hit the mark but they tried and it's interesting none the less. More curious is why, after Ringo returned, did he not take 2 hours to redo the drums on these two songs? Did he listen to the track and go "Nah, that's fine just keep it..." ?

pantofis and tinnox like this.
  12. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I like those weird little outro's as well. there is a nine minute version of "Flying" with extra doodling

petem1966, tinnox and notesfrom like this.
  13. schnitzerphilip

That was me joking, the end solo of Dear Prudence sounds very similar in style to Strawberry Fields (reprise) to me which is why I’m inclined to think that it is Ringo.

14. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Ringo doesn't have the greatest voice but it has an innocent child like quality that was a perfect fit for songs like "Yellow Submarine""Octopuses Garden" & "Good Night"

15. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

...and "Does She Do It Like She Dances" :shake: ;)

The Ole' Rocker, tinnox and AFOS like this.
  16. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

Also there is no real evidence that the 1987 master was untouched anyway.
    It seems unlikely that an experienced mastering engineer would do that - I've never seen it happen.

Gila, tinnox and Kim Olesen like this.
  17. Beatle Ed

Beatle Ed Forum Resident

That's a bit harsh! He may not have the vocal ability of the others but his voice is affable enough. I've always enjoyed his contributions. Nauseating is an extreme and slightly offensive over-reaction! "Like the Beatles, like Ringo" is how I see it!

18. Beatle Ed

Beatle Ed Forum Resident

Sepia is colour (albeit just a tint)! :)

tinnox likes this.
  19. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Guilty as charged...Sallymae......this thread is great.....no need to be serious 24 hours a day....but it does stir conversation. Thanks!

sallymae_hogsby and tinnox like this.
  20. schnitzerphilip

I like Ringo the drummer! He’s my favorite Beatles drummer by far!

Shaddam IV and tinnox like this.
  21. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

I think even here I saw some thread comparing original CD to 30th Anniversary one, that it was almost exact, except fixed indexing put also some pop fixed in Happines Is a Warm Gun.

tinnox likes this.
  22. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

After an All-Starr Band concert in 1989, the reviewer acknowledged that Ringo "has the vocal range of a sea cucumber and a stage presence that could be described as 'hyperactive monotone,'" but concluded, so what? "He's one of our heroes, a real live Beatle." (I'm pretty sure that's the wording but it was nearly 30 years ago and there was no Internet yet to preserve the review.)

23. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

However, there IS documentation that it's Paul. I'll repeat, Dear Prudence was recorded, overdubbed and MIXED with Ringo on hiatus. There were no secret sessions later to tidy it up. There is no disputing this. Paul was a decent little drummer... at times better than that. Dear Prudence, My Dark Hour (Steve Miller Band) and some tracks on McCartney show this well. It's similar to his lead guitar playing. Typically good, but occasionally it was excellent i.e Taxman, Maybe I'm Amazed and others scattered through his catalog. On both instruments he never put in the time or effort to excel, but overall, he's an excellent musician who's able to play many instruments well and that he does on Dear Prudence. Ron

24. schnitzerphilip

In anticipation of the 50th Anniversary of the White Album I will be reviewing one track each day for the next 30 days. Today's review:

Side B - Track 14 - "Don't Pass Me By" - Richard Starkey - Recorded June-July, 1968

Ringo Starr - Lead Vocals, Drums (1964 Ludwig Super Classic Black Oyster Pearl), Piano (1964 Challen “Jangle Box” upright 861834), sleigh bells
    Paul McCartney - Piano (1905 Steinway Vertegrand). Bass (1964 Rickenbacker 4001 S)
    Jack Fallon - Violin

Review: Like almost every song designed for and/or written by Ringo it's a below average number. Making matters worse, unlike songs such as Bungalow Bill and Piggies which are at least essential to the White Album sequencing and flow, Don't Pass Me By is easily removed and not missed, Why Don't We Do It In The Road providing an equally abrupt change-up leading into the brilliant acoustic tracks that end Side B. This one should have hit the dustbin with What's The New Mary Jane and Not Guilty, those two superior songs being shoved aside because of some archaic Ringo quota that should have been abolished when the band went 'serious' in 1966.

Grade: D

25. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Fiddles ,fiddles, fiddles. It's all about the fiddles.

tinnox likes this.