Hi Fi Shops in the Denver, LA and San Diego area

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TheVinylAddict, Aug 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found Thread Starter

I'll be visiting these areas in the coming weeks / months, and for leisure I want to definitely check out the local hi fi shops!

I know I am going to Upscale in LA area and Stereo Unlimited in SD area... other than that I am open to suggestions! In the Denver area I will be staying in Broomfield.

Thanks in advance!

PS - I know I can Google them, but want some opinions, experience too.

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Innocent Bystander

Quite a few shops in Denver metro have vanished in the last few years; I used to manage one that has departed. Boulder is close to Broomfield, you might want to visit Listen Up, a survivor from the '70s that's still around - although you'll see way too many TVs on display.

In Denver, Crescendo is newish, seems to have a good reputation. Definitely worth a visit. Soundings is still around in the Tech Center.

Sorry, but most of the others are gone.

3. TheVinylAddict

Sounds a lot like Phoenix --- nothing left, in the 70's and 80's you had choices, now you have one.

Thanks for those recs, that helps!!!

4. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

beowulf and TheVinylAddict like this.
  5. Russell Weston

Russell Weston Forum Resident

If you want the best prices anywhere in the LA area, go to The Source AV in Torrance. You can usually negotiate prices

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  6. TheVinylAddict

7. TheVinylAddict

Cool... I love negotiating :) Who likes retail?

8. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Stereo Unlimited in SD

Stereos | San Diego, CA | Stereo Unlimited

Came here for the vinyl, great selection, mostly high quality audiophile stuff which is nice! Tons of speaker setups and space and rooms and tons of gear! Great guys too, will talk your head off for sure lol.

beowulf, MikeJedi and TheVinylAddict like this.
  9. TheVinylAddict

Thanks - Bruce is wonderful to talk to (owner) - friendly, knowledgeable, loves to talk audio.... probably why he's been doing it for so long!

recstar24 likes this.
  10. Ulises

Ulises Forum Resident

+ 1 for Crescendo in Denver. They carry a nice selection of speakers, including Harbeth and Proac, and hardware from Naim, Rega, Rogue, and others. they are super cool about hanging out and listening and also have a nice headphone selection. I’ve bought a few things there. Other Denver recs: If you’re looking for vinyl playback or interested in VPI, Larry at Listenup is a gem. If you’re a tube guy, don’t miss Vacuum Tube Supplies on Mariposa Street. Great spot to pick up reputable NOS tubes. If you want to buy records, my favorite spots are Recollect Records and Absolute Vinyl in Boulder. And finally, if you’re on the hunt for vintage gear or need a repair, reach out to Dr. Dan in Littleton. He mostly does repairs but will sell gear from time to time.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  11. racer59

racer59 Forum Resident

Stereo Unlimited is a place you can spend hours at. They are the dealer I’ve aqcuired most of my stuff from.

If you are in North County San Diego you may want to check out Dynamic Sound Systems in Carlsbad. Those guys are pretty good dudes and have a nice listening room with a good amount of gear.

beowulf and TheVinylAddict like this.
  12. tumbleweed

Dr. Dan is Denver's secret weapon for stereo repair - knowledgeable, thorough and patient. I'm listening to the Nakamichi TA-2A receiver he restored for me right now!

TheVinylAddict and Ulises like this.
  13. TheVinylAddict

Dr. Dan.... got it.

Maybe I can double up with getting a physical too.... and maybe he can check that lump on my....well, never mind....:laugh::angel:

Ulises likes this.
  14. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

My “go to” places on the Colorado Front Range are Listen Up in Boulder and Audio Alternative up north in Fort Collins.
    Have spent A fair amount of $$$ with each and service was top notch.

15. macster

macster Forum Resident

+1 on Stereo Unlimited.

M~

beowulf likes this.
  16. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

For San Diego, don't forget to include and visit Alma Audio and Deja Vu West. Both now in the Kearny Mesa area.

[edit] Oh and don't forget Blackbird Audio in Santee.

I've been to all these shops - all recommended, all different lineups of gear to audition.

17. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Gold Sound in Denver is still going as well as Denver's location of Listen Up.

Twinsfan007 and TheVinylAddict like this.
  18. TheVinylAddict

Great inputs! I have already went out and looked at a few of these, and hav them on the list!

Thanks.

19. TheVinylAddict

Hey, a question for all if you;re still checking into the thread --- do you know if any of these shops recommended so far carry the Revel speaker line, specifically the Revel F208?

I plan on auditioning a few lines, like the Vandersteen line in SD at Stereo Unlimited (Bruce is a big proponent of Vandy) --- but the Revel line I am not sure. There is other gear I'll be trying too...

I know I could go call each shop listed above, just trying to save time, and yeah being lazy :)

20. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

:righton:
    We also really liked Brooks Berdan in Monrovia. And Monrovia has a number of really good restaurants. Cafe LuMar is a really good Croatian, Rudy's Mexican, quite a few more. So I'd recommend going to Upscale in the morning* then lunch in Monrovia then go to Brooks.

Audio Element in Pasadena was chill, and the sandwich/salad place two doors down really good, or King Taco across the street (though if you want tacos, Guisado's in East LA is quite superior, chicken tinga or chicken mole, oh my my yummy).

Victor @Definition Audio on Wilshire Blvd. in west LA was very chill, not pushy at all.

*"While our normal business hours are 9am-5pm, Monday through Friday, we suggest calling ahead to discuss your needs before visiting for the best experience." I'd say this is true for ANY of the dealers, since many have small staffs and the knowledgeable person may be out on an install. What are you looking to buy/audition? Because another reason to call ahead is that IF they have what you are looking for, it may not be set up. Or, even though a brand's site lists them as a dealer, they are often NOT or have no stock. Even if their own website says they are a dealer they may have no stock.

21. tumbleweed

ListenUp is listed as a dealer for Revel, don't know if they have that model on display.

hi_watt and TheVinylAddict like this.
  22. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Absolute Vinyl in Boulder closed a few months back. The owner wanted to retire, and his wife wanted to do something else.

As far as stereo gear, I bought my ProAc speakers from Crescendo. Very nice to deal with, and they have a one year trade up policy.

23. Ulises

Ulises Forum Resident

Ack, I didn’t know. I’m mostly in Denver and would only go a few times a year. Loved that store. Bummer.

24. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Yep...me too. I bought a Rega P6 from Doug (the owner)...he had to special order it in for me. At the time he said it was the biggest sale he’d ever had. They were always so nice to deal with.

25. Soundsense

Soundsense Forum Resident

Ah, but.....the owner of Absolute Vinyl, Doug Gaddy has opened up a vinyl store in
    Longmont, just north of Boulder

Ulises and TheVinylAddict like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.