Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2018 Subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tededfred, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Excellent. Hopefully mine arrives tomorrow

Zafu, mmthmj and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

I second that emotion!

SBegonias17, mmthmj and US Blues like this.
  3. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

Would be great for a release of a show between the shows represented in PNW! Prolly going to be another year or more for a seventy three box unless the upcoming box sells out quickly.

SBegonias17 likes this.
  4. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

9099 arrived in the UK

5. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

Still juiced on Boise. Got all sloppy and groovy last week, tried a mini review and just faded out during the second set (muh doodle got too wang danged). Fired up the first set again just a minute ago and already getting loud and greasy. Got a feeling tomorrow morning might be rough.

6. boagas1883

boagas1883 Forum Resident

No 12899 has landed in Bradford on Avon

Zafu, mmthmj, beatboy1975 and 3 others like this.
  7. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Hopefully mine will arrive just the other side of the county

mmthmj likes this.
  8. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Well, mine arrived on 4th according to the customs mail that I got.

jazz_case and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I’ve got a drive to North Yorkshire today so the new pick will be my soundtrack

10. boagas1883

I've listened to the first set and I'd say it's alright if you like that kind of thing.
    I live in England and got into the band through the tape trading scene in the mid 80s.
    I have never seen them live.
    However,I fully understand that many got on the bus in the 80s and are quite entitled to have seen shows from that period that were life changing events for them.I get that.
    They are quite entitled to say that they think shows from this era are great.
    In fact when I got into the band,I would have lapped up a show like Boise and listened to a lot of stuff from this era.
    Of course in time and in hindsight one is able to listen to shows from earlier periods and it's palpably clear that they are better in almost every way from performance to (in many instances),sound quality.Its just the way it is.
    The Boise show is a 'cassette master',I guess this means a cassette was simply placed in the tray on the board and record/play pressed ?
    The recording is unbalanced with vocals and keys way up front,guitars back a bit,with the drums sounding like someone is tapping on the lid of a plastic box.
    There seems to be an audience patch at the start of BRB after which the drums sound a bit clearer.
    The recording reminds me a bit of a couple of Zappa shows which circulate from 1984,Saratoga and Hollywood and to a point the Stones' Passaic 78 tape.
    None of this would've bothered me much in the 80s but I guess over time our tastes change.

11. boagas1883

Dead in RWB Excellent

12. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Not yet though

13. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

I’d say this is likely the reason this particular era isn’t well represented on official releases. Most especially the sound quality issue. An official release just isn’t going to sound much better than an audience recording. Some would, most wont. And when you’ve only got “some” to choose from, you’re kinda hamstrung.
    But a few people will always hold on to their conspiracies about Dave. :shrug:

ronbow likes this.
  14. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Finishing listening to DaP 27, my first 83 show. Initial thoughts are, it's okay, not spectacular. Perhaps in context with the rest of the year it's a great show, but not compared with 10 years prior. I get it's a cassette master, but is the whole thing running slightly fast? Jerry's vocals sound weirdly high pitched. Maybe that's the cocaine and tight pants. I get now why people complain about Brent's plink plonk keyboard sound. I didn't hear it so high in the mix before.

There are some great moments, I'd have to run though it again to recall. Even Bob's slide solo was interesting for a few moments.

Not sorry I picked it up, I just won't spend too much time or money on this era. I'm slowly succumbing to the "69-77 is best" mentality. Can't wait for the PNW box.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  15. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

"I'm slowly succumbing to the "69- January 1979 is best" mentality."

Fixed That For You. :tiphat:

Freebird, beatboy1975 and RockRoom like this.
  16. US Blues

Really, it should be February 1979, my pardon.

17. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

You might change that to. 68-78:)

JasW, beatboy1975 and US Blues like this.
  18. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

I’d say through January or February 79 if I’ve heard any of those early 1979 shows yet:)

US Blues likes this.
  19. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I prefer most of Fall 79 over Summer/Fall 78...

20. citizensmurf

There are moments in 78-79 for sure, but I can't even get through Road Trips 1.1 without cringing at how awful most of it is.

21. citizensmurf

I would even tighten it up to late 71-74. As much as I love Mickey, the one drummer band with Keith were spectacular.

xj32, boagas1883, John69 and 4 others like this.
  22. US Blues

19 October 1971 thru 20 October 1974

Three years and a day.

23. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

And with that comment, i still confidently predict a return of the Rhythm Devils June '76 ABCD, LLC recently returned show for 28 in Nov.

RockRoom likes this.
  24. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

6/14/76 with the Stephen>NFA>Stella (GOAT) from 6/15 as filler. If that is even doable...

25. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

We’ll definitely get some of those shows sooner or later via official release...I wonder if they’ll start doing things individually or perhaps in the form of a June 76 Box Set?

And my money’s on a 77 show for the first release of 2019 making 76 a big tricky for the moment...I think 2-26-77 is the most likely candidate although 5-4-77 needs to make an appearance ASAP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.