The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

That is the last H > S > F until Spring of '83. Fall '77 shows either have cassette gens in the lineage, or are PCM's of Betty Boards in hiding. They are back in the Vault, and official releases will come down the line one day and blow. your. mind.

2. US Blues

Here comes the Heresy: Bear's tapes are always lacking in bass.

ianuaditis and trd like this.
  3. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

Perhaps they thought they couldn't top this one. They may have been right.

4. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Speaking of Fall '77, I just snagged a copy of DP15 (Englishtown, NJ 9/3/77) today for only $14 (!!!) and it sounds good so far. Similar to what you said in your post, I'm not well-versed in 77 Dead and the setlist doesn't blow me away, but the first set has been enjoyable, with a nice version of Mississippi Half-Step as the highlight. Looking forward to things getting more expensive on the 2nd and 3rd discs!

5. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Set lists don't matter. The He's Gone--> NFA--> Truckin' is worth the price of admission.

6. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

That is one of the absolute best "straightforward" shows ever!!!!

The Eyes is a favorite of mine. You're in for a treat. :)

7. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Aint it the truth! Now I really can't wait to hear the rest of this one...

ianuaditis, SBegonias17 and Archtop like this.
  8. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

Outstanding show. Worth tracking down in multiple formats. I have the CD, the LP, and the movie. Love it.

Crispy Rob, bzfgt and Freebird like this.
  9. Mr. Rain

Mr. Rain Forum Resident

Except in November '72!

10. US Blues

True! He finally got Phil loud enough.

Crispy Rob, SBegonias17 and Archtop like this.
  11. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

Hey ya'll - should I spend money on Road Trips 4.3 (Denver 73) and 4.5 (6/9/76)? I can stream them for decent quality, but I have a great CD player that brings out all kinds of great stuff hidden in even high quality streams. Should I go for it? I've listened to a good bit of 4.3 and thought it was pretty great, what I've gotten through. Not familiar in any way with 6/9/76 yet. Thoughts?

12. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Both - especially RT 4.3. All Time Grateful Dead music

13. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I love them both dearly.

Meanwhile, taking another trip around the sun, 11/10/67, I already have the vinyl of this one but now I can listen to it more frequently as I haven't been finding the time as much lately to sit down and get the turntable going and snagging a CD or the iPod for the car or bed time listening or playing my iTunes library through Sonos while on kitchen duties has been covering most of my listening lately.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  14. warewolf95

10/11/77 Norman, OK

HOLY CRAP LISTEN TO JERRY RIP ON THIS LET IT GROW!!!

OH MY GOD HE IS DESTROYING WORLDS ON THIS VERSION!

15. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

I'll pile on and say that I'm of the opinion that folks that dislike 80s Dead would do well to grab this show (and many others from 89-early 90, but this is a good starting point), settle in with an open mind, and soak it up. Dead were on fire 89 through Spring 90. If you're a Deadhead, I can't imagine how you couldn't get into a lot of it.

I will say that era isn't perfect, for me - I'm not a big fan of Digi-Jerry when he would just noodle around with incredibly dated sounding digital effects during jams for example. And I hate that awful Incan pan flute effect he would use...

But they were, very very often, as on as they ever were in 77 for my money. They were tight, Jerry seemed clear of mind and certainly sharp as a tack with his playing, and importantly - they were having a blast most of the time.

WaterLemon, sami, ianuaditis and 9 others like this.
  16. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I believe that's the Truckin' Up to Buffalo show unless I'm fudgin' up the date, I watched most of that one on Amazon Prime earlier in the summer and it lead to my subsequent revaluation of my prior aversion to 80's and beyond Dead.

17. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

There ya go - yes that's it and I had a similar experience with that show. It's what hooked me on that era as well.

Matthew Tate and dzhason like this.
  18. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

UPS Dropped The Brick at my door. Its fun leafing through the sealed copies like they are playing cards.

19. warewolf95

:)

In all seriousness though, people talk about Spring 90 like it's the end of an era but Bruce comes in in the fall and 1991 is quite possibly the HOTTEST year, energy wise, in a very long time and one of the best overall. That basically carries through until his departure in 92.

laf848, ianuaditis, bmoregnr and 3 others like this.
  20. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

This is the one on October 77 Road Trips

All time version

21. warewolf95

Anytime Jerry breaks out the distortion (slight as it may be) you know it's go time. :)

To follow it up with this insane 18 minute DITS is just even more ridiculous.

Crispy Rob, US Blues and Freebird like this.
  22. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

The 1989 Summer Dead>Fall JGB>Fall Dead Tour was peak Garcia.

We need an Alpine Boxed set. Also those fall Philly Spectrum shows need to be released.

23. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Amen brothers. The NFA is soooooo good!!!

24. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

I’m amazed at the sound quality of Dicks Picks 15. For an outdoor show it’s superb. I’d like to know how they got the audience on the recording so well. I swear at times this release sounds like a matrix.

Echoes71, dzhason and warewolf95 like this.
  25. warewolf95

10/11/77 Norman, OK

Gah this show is just slaying me.

This Estimated is one of the all-time greatest versions I've ever heard.

With all this Garcia talk, anyone who likes the man NEEDS this Estimated in their life!!!

This is Garcia letting it rip with X Factor abound. Frickin incredible.