Bands with one to zero original members

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HoratioH, Aug 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

The original Renaissance had fallen apart by the end of the second album. Founding Yardbirds member Relf had left, whilst the other founding Yardbirds member McCarty stayed for another album but only co-writing (not playing) some new songs on album no.3, before leaving. By the time Annie Haslam had joined they were a completely different band. I preferred the Relf/McCarty/Hawken line-up with Jane Relf on vocals.

bekayne and ajsmith like this.
  2. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Status Quo - Francis Rossi

Shak Cohen likes this.
  3. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

Steppenwolf - John Kay
    Curved Air - Sonja Kristina
    King Crimson - Robert Fripp
    Caravan - Pye Hastings
    Yardbirds - Jim McCarty
    Renaissance - Annie Haslam
    Grass Roots - none
    Guess Who - none
    Beach Boys - Mike Love
    Deep Purple - Ian Paice
    Badfinger - Joey Molland
    Camel - Andy Latimer
    Poco - Rusty Young
    Steeleye Span - Maddy Prior
    Strawbs - Dave Cousins
    Yes - Jon Anderson

4. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I have not read that. Because of his health? An weird proposition unless they are to become a covers band version and do not try and write new numbers. And I think they would need a subtle name change. I think (a) version(s) of Ubu have in the past been referred to as Proto Ubu. Maybe a Thomas-less band should be called Post Ubu. Still, Thomas has a way of conceptualising such things and making them work. I wonder who his replacement could be?

Cassiel likes this.
  5. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Foreigner still has it's primary songwriter, though. (at least most of the time) It's pretty dicey, but still more legit than The Guess Who.

RangerXT likes this.
  6. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Little Feet still include key members from their prime years so I don't think they would fall into the same category as the others.

MYQ1 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  7. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

8. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I'm amazed that it took this long to name them, as they were the first band to come to mind for me after Yes. I suppose that both bands were characterized by "perpetual change".

9. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

True, most of the classic lineup is left, but the thread asked for bands that have one or no original members, and they do qualify here.

10. AC/DC. Just Angus.

11. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Nope. Otis Williams is still there, so they fit the thread, but he's an original member and the only constant in the band.

Others with no original members:
    Doctor Feelgood (though 3/4 of the original lineup are still alive)
    Sugababes (the original three regrouped as MKS, or Mutya Keisha Siobhan, but none were in the final lineup of Sugababes)
    Man (no original members, the most 'original' is Martin Ace who joined on the third album)

abescan and ajsmith like this.
  12. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

The Flying Burrito Brothers lived on in various forms for many years. Rick Roberts immediately after the classic lineup ended, Gib G. a little later, Walter Egan was with them for a while, Garth Hudson for a few years. The were called the Burrito Brothers, Burrito Deluxe, the Burritos etc.

ajsmith likes this.
  13. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Otis Williams, the only original Temptations member still living, had left the Temptations for quite some time. I didn't know he had returned.

14. PyroMessiah

PyroMessiah Forum Resident

Metal Church has one original member and has made albums with entirely different lineups. Napalm Death has zero original members and that's been the case for a long time. W.A.S.P. - one original member. Same for a ton of bands really that are still pretty successful like Cradle of Filth.

15. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

He's never left. He's been on every album, and any shows he's missed are few in number.

JoeRockhead, abescan, ajsmith and 3 others like this.
  16. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

...... and Fleetwood.

AndydD likes this.
  17. drpep

drpep Whizzing and pasting and pooting through the day

Hawkwind
    Rose Tattoo

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  18. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Kansas is down to 2 original members.

MYQ1 and RangerXT like this.
  19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I think he meant that Fleetwood is technically the only original member. Bob Brunning was briefly the bassist in Fleetwood Mac before McVie agreed to leave John Mayall and join them.

groundharp and Instant Dharma like this.
  20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Only five years after their debut, Fairport Convention's 'Nine' album had no original band members. Great album though.

jonathan and uzn007 like this.
  21. The E Street Band - Garry Tallent.

JoeF., boe, nyarlathotep and 2 others like this.
  22. SonyTek

SonyTek Forum Resident

The Grass Roots was the first one I thought of also. And, yes, you are correct, not one original member remains in the group. All present members have joined in 1984 or later. Once Rob Grill died in 2011, it was no longer the same band anyway IMO.

23. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

I'm thinking, with no other examples coming to mind or brought up by the very smart people on this board, that Dead and Co. do indeed win the award for taking this trend in the OTHER direction: band with the most original members of an old/iconic band that is playing that band's music but NOT using the band's name, with 2/5 original members and 1/2 most definitions of "classic" band members.

24. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

That's right! 46 years later, Garry's the only original member left.

Vini Lopez and David Sancious left in 74, and they are both still living. Danny Federici and Clarence Clemmons lasted in the band until their deaths, in 2008 and 2011 respectively.

25. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

abc - with martin fry, they've lost most of the original members since the first album

cabaret voltaire - with richard h kirk, lost most of their members

flock of seagulls - mike score, even though all the original members reunited, its just for one album so far,
    and they don't tour with him.

later

Paul King and scobb like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.