Elvis Presley - So many albums - like an insane amount of albums!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Aug 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

With the exception of his gospel recordings, after 1961, Elvis rarely took a proactive lead on projects. With the 1968 Singer Presents television special and the early 1969 American Sound sessions, Elvis defied the status-quo and went against management’s wishes, but he did not take the lead, rather he allowed himself to work collaboratively with outside parties he believed in. It just was not in him to have the confidence and creative drive to control his artistic destiny — he very much relied on his manager to make many of those decisions, and for some complicated and even unknown reasons, Elvis was very hesitant to defy management and take charge. Elvis’ reliance on his management’s artistic shortsightedness absolutely contributed to Elvis’ emotional and psychological turmoil, and growing dependence on pharmaceuticals.

With regard to his unwillingness to work with another producer during the 1970s, Elvis often surrounded himself with yes-men who would not challenge him, and Jarvis was no different. After 1961, Elvis’ best secular work was done when he was challenged by outside creative collaborators, such as Steve Binder and Chips Moman. Both men were ostracized by management, because both men defied management and were viewed by management as independents that could influence Elvis. Jarvis was safe for both Elvis and management, Tom Parker’s main issue was that Jarvis was not delivering enough masters to RCA to fulfill Elvis’ recording contract. It is more than likely that Elvis would have considered a different producer to collaborate with had he been presented with an intriguing and exciting alternative. But it was never going to happen because Elvis was too isolated from outside influences.

3. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Forum Resident

I've had the set for about 3 weeks now, and I'm enjoying it immensely. I echo Skatterbrane's assessment that it's a good place to start for new fans.

CBackley and mark winstanley like this.
  4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

24 albums during the beatles lifetime 63-70 ... i probably didn't word it well

5. mark winstanley

it's sad ... so many great singers run through the ringer and left in the company of yes men whose only interest is lining their own pockets ... killed jackson and killed elvis and who knows how many others

6. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

I get what you meant.

warewolf95 and mark winstanley like this.
  7. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

A LOT of repackaging of previously released material. If you actually get a lot of the box sets and complete sessions for various years you will find it doesn't take up as many cds as you thought.

8. PacificOceanBlue

Not to derail this thread, but Jackson was another case entirely.

9. Psychedelic Good Trip

Elvis Presley
    A Boy from Tupelo: The Complete 1953-1955 Recordings
    Box Set

1. [​IMG]
    2. [​IMG]
    3. [​IMG]

• Amazing material. Cd #1 is incredible.

10. PacificOceanBlue

Phenomenal release.

11. Psychedelic Good Trip

You got that right!:righton:

warewolf95 likes this.
  12. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

I would say that his first Memphis album is a verified classic and can stand easily with Pet Sounds. (I am an equal Beach Boy and Elvis freak).

WolfSpear, warewolf95, Shawn and 6 others like this.
  13. Psychedelic Good Trip

Memphis sessions is incredible material. Elvis was on a mission to make some great music on an Elvis album not the same old 60's Elvis movie soundtracks. These soundtracks contained some great tunes of course.

14. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

And one of the best sounding sets around!

15. mark winstanley

Love that set ... they nailed it on the 60 box

warewolf95 likes this.
  16. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

I agree with most of what has been said so far. The 60 CD set is a convenient way to get Elvis' body of work. The three big boxes group the highlights from each decade (and for those who miss the soundtrack hits on the 60's box there is a 2-CD set with the soundtrack highlights). But what really gets me is how many compilations were released after Elvis died, and how many singles were released and charted during that time (yes, most scrapped the bottom of the charts, but the fact they charted is still something in my opinion). A Boy from Tupelo and the Stax Box are among the better specialty boxes, with Tupelo coming in higher. For the couple of folks who noted that Elvis had no real output after '73, all the live albums pretty much took up the output. Elvis really was going all over the US during that period with his live show. But yes, the 60 CD box does the trick.

17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Is there a updated version of the sixties.
    Box. have the LP sized cd box( with stickers etc )?

18. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

It was interesting to read one writer's perspective on ranking the albums, but I would have placed Elvis Country much higher on the list and His Hand In Mine at the top of his "gospel trilogy."

laf848, CBackley, warewolf95 and 2 others like this.
  19. mark winstanley

not that I know of ... i think that's why we have the album set, but i'm not sure

warewolf95 and alexpop like this.
  20. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Yes, there is a more compact version from the UK of all 3 decade boxes. The exact same masterings, warts and all.

21. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

MOST of the reason for the wretched state of Elvis' releases during his lifetime was The Colonel.

With a better manager more focused on his client's career, Elvis' discography would have looked much different.

22. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

You beat me to it! "From Elvis In Memphis" is probably his best non-compilation album, and a stone classic by any standard. It is brilliant from start to finish, and El is very engaged. I would also give a nod to "Elvis Is Back", his first LP after leaving the Army -- not quite as good as "From Elvis...", but pretty close. And of course, the first album.

laf848, CBackley, warewolf95 and 5 others like this.
  23. SKATTERBRANE

Well The Colonel was also adept at making as much money with the least effort. Elvis make a LOT more money from his movies and publishing deals than he ever could with simple record royalties. The Colonel was shrewd and he took full advantage of scarcity. No TV appearances between 1960 and 1968. No live concerts between 1961 and 1969. He was able to renegotiate lucrative deals for Elvis throughout his career. Look at Madison Square Garden deal and the Aloha From Hawaii deal. The thing is he had no idea how to inspire or create an atmosphere that promoted creativity. I doubt Elvis could have done much better with anyone else financially speaking for so long. But it is true, whenever there was a strong creative influence, such as Leiber and Stoller, Bones Howe, or Chips Moman, they were roundly chased off by The Colonel. The Colonel was wise enough to know that had anyone really wanted to, they could have stolen his golden goose. Elvis DID play a major role in the studio producing his band. A lot of his musical ideas and direction were a major factor in the important studio sessions. The official producers such as Chet Atkins, Steve Sholes, Felton Jarvis etc, were rather passive when it came to actual music making.

24. SKATTERBRANE

I agree, but it is a business after all. And for Elvis, at least in two long stretches, it was merely a job. Someone with lesser talent could not have pulled it off. It is rumored that Led Zeppelin offered to be his house band. IMAGINE THAT!

And Elvis really wasn't into rock n roll. He had two great aspirations, to be a ballad singer and to be part of a gospel quartet. But damn, he was a natural when it came to singing the blues.

25. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

After From Elvis In Memphis, there was a s***load of live albums. I always figured that this was to beat the bootleggers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.