The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

Tommy Turrentine "Tommy Turrentine & the Max Roach Quintet" (1960)
    currently listening to this one for the first time.

Cactus Bob, DrJ and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  2. [​IMG]

A Certain Smile A Certain Sadness - Astrud Gilberto & Walter Wanderley (Verve/Originals)
    with
    Astrud Gilberto (vocal), Walter Wanderley (organ), Jose Marino (bass),Claudio Slon (drums), Bobby Rosengarden (percussion)

Dated 1966

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  3. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Clifford Jordan - Cliff Craft
    Blue Note (1957)
    TOCJ-1582
    BN Works 1500 Series

Tenor Saxophone – Cliff Jordan
    Trumpet – Art Farmer
    Piano – Sonny Clark
    Bass – George Tucker
    Drums – Louis Hayes

[​IMG]

4. [​IMG]

Storyville Masters Of Jazz - Duke Ellington (Storyville) CD

18 track compilation that includes a mix of live and studio recordings. I'm guessing most tracks are previously unreleased recordings.

The sleeve notes say "Many of the sources were private tapes, acetates transcriptions, or other media..."

There are two lengthy Duke Ellington solo piano pieces, both recorded in France on 25th February 1966. All other tracks include the Orchestra, and were recorded over 4 different dates.

7 tracks were recorded in New York (9th January 1962)

3 in New York (3rd & 4th April 1943)

3 at Carnegie Hall (December 11th 1943)

3 at the Hollywood Empire, Los Angeles (February 1949)

The sound on the CD is generally crystal clear. The music was produced for CD by Anders Stefansen.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  5. From this week's online CD bargains, North African influences on the Jazz Beat....

[​IMG]

To Morocco - Klaus Doldinger's Passport (Warner Music Group) CD

Dated 2006

I have taken a liking to some aspects of the (discounted) Passport albums I have heard lately. This one does, as expected, conjure up images of Morocco at times, and that is fine with me! At other times we are into more Jazz fusion territory coupled with a very strong production. This seems to be the case with the couple of other Doldinger albums that I've heard.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Bobby Buckshot and Cactus Bob like this.
  6. Further off the beaten Jazz Beat track, but keeping that African influenced Jazzy vibe going with the sound of Senegal's premier Orchestra...

[​IMG]

A Tribute To Ndiouga Dieng - Orchestra Baobab (World Circuit) CD

Dated 2017

Issued on CD and packaged in hardcover book.

Moebius and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  7. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Stunning album! I remember that the year after McLaughlin has come to Italy for some concerts featuring Jack Bruce, Stu Martin and Billy Cobham. Unfortunately, I didn't have the pleasure of hearing them.

Cactus Bob likes this.
  8. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Eric Dophy & Latin Jazz Quintet - Caribe

[​IMG]

Dolphy was always pushing the envelope. His playing was never more adventurous and exciting than on this set.

9. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

Love this album. I saw The One Truth Band in Chicago with L. Shankar, Stu Goldberg, TM Stevens & Woody “Sonship” Theus along with The Billy Cobham Band one of my all-time favorite concerts next to Mahavishnu. Hard to believe it was 40 years ago.

[​IMG]

MagicAlex likes this.
  10. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

I was wrong: Stu Goldberg, not Stu Martin. Sometimes I still think to the lost concert in Turin many years ago. :(

Cactus Bob likes this.
  11. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

THELONIOUS MONK / CRISS CROSS / COLUMBIA / 1963 / US MONO 2 EYE CL 2038 LP

CHARLIE ROUSE - TENOR SAXOPHONE
    THELONIOUS MONK - PIANO
    JOHN ORE - BASS
    FRANKIE DUNLOP - DRUMS

PRODUCED BY TEO MACERO. RECORDED NOVEMBER 6, 1962 AND MARCH 29, 1963 IN NEW YORK CITY. PHOTOGRAPHY BY SANDY SPEISER. LINER NOTES BY NICA DE KOENIGSWARTER.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marzz, AaronW, Morbius and 6 others like this.
  12. Fastnbulbous

Love his take on "Tea for Two"

13. Cactus Bob

Dave Brubeck ~ Brubeck Plays Brubeck
    Columbia, 1956

[​IMG]

Marzz, Berthold, smilin ed and 5 others like this.
  14. Cactus Bob

Oscar Peterson ~ Soul-O
    Prestige, 1968

[​IMG]

Berthold, smilin ed, DrJ and 3 others like this.
  15. Cactus Bob

Thelonious Monk ~ Solo Monk
    Columbia, 1965 repress

[​IMG]

Marzz, Berthold, smilin ed and 11 others like this.
  16. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Monday Miles . . .

[​IMG]
    [1965/2014 Impex Records ‎– IMP6018, Columbia ‎– 88725471991, Sony Music Commercial Music Group ‎– 88725471991]
    + First audiophile reissue of Miles Davis' E.S.P. LP using all-tube/all analog mastering by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering.
    + Featuring faithfully reproduced jacket and labels. Individually numbered and strictly limited to 3,000 copies.

Marzz, Berthold, Morbius and 7 others like this.
  17. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Oscar Pettiford Modern Quintet" - Oscar Pettiford Modern Quintet (Bethlehem/Verse) CD

Recorded 1955 (according to CD booklet) and all six tracks originally issued on a 10" Bethlehem LP. The CD edition was remastered by John Sigmon and there is an 8 page booklet included.

I last played this great sounding disc about a year ago and mentioned the fact it has a playing time of just under 16 minutes. That extremely short playing time has never ceased to amaze me!

Soulpope, Marzz, Berthold and 5 others like this.
  18. [​IMG]
    The RCA Victor Jazz Workshop - George Russell & His Smalltet (RCA Victor/Legacy) CD
    with
    George Russell (chromatic drums), Art Farmer (trumpet), Barry Galbraith (guitar), Hal McKusick (alto sax & flute), Milt Hilton / Teddy Kotick (bass), Bill Evans (piano), Joe Harris / Paul Motian / Osie Johnson (drums)

Recorded 1956. This re-issue was produced and prepared for release by Daniel Baumgarten.

The music on this album is outstanding and has always sounded forever fresh and intriguing.

Marzz, Berthold, DrJ and 9 others like this.
  19. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Pat Martino - El Hombre
    Prestige (1967)
    VICJ-60438
    Prestige 50th Anniversary, Heritage II Series

Guitar – Pat Martino
    Flute – Danny Turner
    Bongos – Vance Anderson
    Congas – Abdu Johnson
    Drums – Mitch Fine
    Engineer – Rudy Van Gelder

[​IMG]

Marzz, Berthold, DrJ and 4 others like this.
  20. Cactus Bob

60 years ago . . . August 12, 1958

[​IMG]

Marzz, Robitjazz, DrJ and 4 others like this.
  21. [​IMG]

Breeze From The East - Cal Tjader (Verve) CD

Recorded 1963

Mastered by Chris Herles at Polygram

I could not find a stand alone CD edition of Vibesman's Cal Tjader's very enjoyable easy listening album Breeze From The East but found a copy on CD that was coupled with Cal's other 1963 Verve recording
    Several Shades Of Jade.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  22. Fastnbulbous

Roy Hargrove, Christian McBride, Stephen Scott - Parker's Mood

[​IMG]

Rare drumless set with three talented, then-young musicians playing timeless classics. There are times you miss having a full rhythm section, but McBride more than holds his own.

Mychkine, DrJ and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  23. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I've posted about listening to these over the Savoy Jazz CD thread: Savoy Jazz CDs made in Japan

But there's not much crossover between there and here so I thought I'd also share the pics & quick reviews with yall too. So here 'tis...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Milt Jackson's The Jazz Skyline: I love it. Almost all standards except Nat Adderly's Angel Face, which is a beautiful ballad. It begins with essentially a trio setting as Hank Jones, Wendell Marshall (cousin of Jimmy Blanton) & Kenny Clarke lay it down. That opening makes me want to search for one of this series' trio dates as it was really wonderful (looks like there's at least a couple of Hank Jones led sessions, so I'll be on the lookout). As the song continues, you get Bags & Lucky trading off and then toward the end another Jones-led trio segment. There's a lot of resonance in Milt's vibes throughout these songs which I really dig, and Lucky plays excellent as noted above. Clarke & Marshall round out the rhythm section very well. I think this is the first time I've heard Marshall play and he's really good. The tempo picks back up with the next track, Sometimes I'm Happy. This is really fine album and I'd highly recommend it.

Next was Lester Young's Blue Lester. These are mid-late 40s recordings from Lester. Right from the get go it was obvious this was recorded earlier than the Jackson disc. The fidelity is not the same (not saying bad, but definitely different recording tech used) and the rhythm sections play an older swing style. And boy do they swing hard, esp that band with Cozy Cole on drums, Billy Taylor on bass, Johnny Guarnieri on piano & Dexter Hall on guitar. Wow. All the solos taken by Lester are magnificent as expected, however the clarinet from Hank D'Amico is ridiculously good. The tunes are short so they get right into it from the first beat. These are terrific songs. Now, the last 3 tracks contain a vocal (Poor Little Plaything) and are big band numbers with the Count Basie band, although the Count is not on keys. The vocal isn't my thing but the other two work very well.

Following Lester was Joe Wilder's Wilder N' Wilder. Joe's on trumpet with the Jones/Marshall/Clarke rhythm section. This set was recorded in '56 and just like it was noticeable when Lester's disc was started that it was a 40s recording, this one's obviously from better source tapes and a later period. It's a fantastic set, IMO, and something I rate higher than average. I think it's takes a lot for a trumpeter to lead a quartet. It's not an easy instrument to play and can take a lot out of a performer - you gotta have chops to do it and I think Wilder has it. This is the first album I've listened to from him and I really enjoy his playing. Things switch from up tempo to ballad to blues and back to ballad (the last two tracks are slower numbers) and Wilder carries it all. Another nice thing about this album is that when Wilder lays out, you get that Jones/Marshall/Clarke trio focus. Marshall is just a phenomenal bass player and it's really noticeable here. I definitely recommend this one.

Finally I listened to the Shelley Mann/Bill Russo Orchestra Deep People. Definitely different from the other CDs in that these are big band recordings with the first half being led by Shelly Manne, the second by Bill Russo. All of the solos are magnificent. My problem with this is that - and I'm guessing because this is a workshop recording - the rhythm section is low in the mix. So for the Manne tracks, you can barely hear him, the bass or piano - and I was really looking forward to that part of this album. Fortunately the soloists tear it up - we're talking Art Pepper, Jimmy Giuffre, Conte Candoli, Shorty Rogers & Bob Cooper. Next problem are the vocal sides - not my thing. There's several and Manne sings on a couple. Overall a good collection buy my enjoyment was hampered by the sound. I need some repeated listens for this one.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Marzz, Berthold, Fastnbulbous and 4 others like this.
  24. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

THE RED MITCHELL-HAROLD LAND QUINTET / HEAR YE!!!!HEAR YE!!!! / ATLANTIC / 1962 / BRITISH LONDON RECORDS MONO DEEP GROOVE FIRST PRESSING HA-K 8027 LP

HAROLD LAND - TENOR SAXOPHONE
    CARMEL JONES - TRUMPET
    FRANK STRAZZERI - PIANO
    RED MITCHELL - BASS
    LEON PETTIES - DRUMS

PRODUCED BY NESUHI ERTEGUN AND BONES HOWE. RECORDED OCTOBER 14 AND DECEMBER 13, 1961 IN LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA BY BONES HOWE. PHOTOGRAPHY BY WILLIAM CLAXTON. COVER DESIGN BY LORING EUTEMEY. LINER NOTES BY LEONARD FEATHER.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This album is really, really good.

Good Vibes, Marzz, Berthold and 7 others like this.
  25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Told you so ;)

Well, at least I posted about it a while ago... It is a really good album :agree: