Audio Note : amp and source matching

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by manfredas370, Aug 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manfredas370

manfredas370 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Long story short:
    looking for upgrade my system. In general, I want to have simple system - one source (CD player) and amp.
    Last month I auditioned OTO Line Signature vs. Meishu Line vs. Meishu Line Silver. OTO was really good, but Meishu Silver made me almost cry - how beautiful it sounded, and how much more expensive it is, than I can afford... Honestly, standart Meishu didn't impressed me a lot.

And lucky, I found pretty good deal on Audio Note P3 Silver (3oob tube amp) with a lot of upgrades. It's power amp, but with volume control, and could be used with one source.
    But I really don't get technical details about matching impedences between source and amp, and if it would be good match. At the moment my source will be my Yamaha CD-S2100 player, later on the road I'll try to buy Audio Note CD 3.1x/II one box player.

Maybe people with more technical knowledge and Audio Note afficionados could help me with advise . Will it work with these specs, I have:

Audio Note P3 details:
    - Input impedence: 100 KOhm
    - Input sensitivity: 450mV for full output

Yamaha CD-S2100 details:
    - Output Level (1 kHz, 0 dB) SA-CD/CD: 2.0 ± 0.3 V
    - Output Power:
    • SA-CD: 1.89 mW (max)
    • CD: 1.36 mW (max)
    Audio Note CD 3.1x/II details:
    - Output impedance: Less that 2 kohm
    - Reference output: 3.0V RMS (approx.)

Matching tube 8-10 W amp with my speakers shouldn't be problem - they are two way with simple crossover, 96 dB and 8 Ohm.

Also, what I'll be missing and what sound properties, beside more inputs, should be better with, let's say, Audio Note M2 preamp?

2. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Forum Resident

A quick response..
    Your amp should work well with an AN CD without preamp, in-line attenuators would likely have a negative impact on the sound quality
    I recommend CD 4 over the 3
    Support your local AN dealer

3. manfredas370

manfredas370 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for fast reply. Yes, CD4 is much better, I don't doubt it :)
    Is it audible negative impact with just in-line attenuator? Also, P3 I'm looking has upgraded with Audio Note stepped attenuator (stereo) with Tantallum resistors.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  4. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Forum Resident

I would love to help you but I don't feel qualified to answer this question. I'm sure it is very easy to create a simple system around the P3, though. If you want to get good quality digital and think the CD4 is too expensive for your budget right now, consider getting a DAC instead. There are many good DACs that don't cost a fortunate and this will also allow you to play music from the internet (radio, YouTube, etc.). You can always sell the DAC and upgrade later without losing too much money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.