JBL is reissuing the classic L100 speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Monsieur Gadbois, Aug 14, 2018.

1. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

If that’s the case, “most kids” don’t know much. JBL makes speakers that cost $90K/pair. Maybe I’m from the wrong side of the tracks, but $90K for speakers are not my idea of a “budget” speaker.

JBL - Everest DD67000 Tower Speakers (Pair) - select Rosso Corsa finish for the $90K version.

2. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

Got a link? Those are OOP in N. America and usually eBay for @ $500

3. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

It's a typo, sorry, should be NS 5000.
    And the quoted price is AUD. Still too high.
    Not for sale in the US.
    NS-5000 - 概要 - ヤマハ – 日本

4. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

Those do look nice, I wonder why they aren’t selling them here? Seems they would sell to the same crowd that buys the $7000 A-S3000 integrated amp and $6000 CD-S3000 CD player.
    [​IMG]
    This is my favorite line from the website
    • Glossy black piano finish provides improved signal-to-noise performance — and adds to the luxurious joy of ownership
    Improved signal to noise ratio?! And it makes cars faster?! Is there anything glossy black paint can’t do?!

5. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

They don’t know much. I talk to young people all the time about audio. They don’t know and are amazed that there are speakers out there that cost 15 or 20k.
    Smoke eminates from their ears:)

rischa and displayname like this.
  6. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Those Yamaha’s are beautiful.

Rad Dudeski, Shoalcove and 56GoldTop like this.
  7. Mitsuman

Mitsuman Diamond Tone Junkie

I wish they would bring back the L112's..............I'm guessing they would be $10k

8. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I would love to get excited about these speakers or JBL in general but its tough. Outside of the Music Direct website these speakers don't seem to exist. JBL.com has nothing about these speakers or anything close. As far as I can tell, their dealer network is non existent. We are talking about VERY expensive speakers that VERY few people own or have heard. Harmon really needs to step up their marketing and dealer network if they want to sell many of these. Nostalgia will only get you so far.

displayname and superstar19 like this.
  9. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

I have to say, JBL distribution is pathetic.
    no way to even audition any of their speaker in Canada.

10. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

ORANGE man!!….forget the blue.

[​IMG]

clhboa and Manimal like this.
  11. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Yes orange.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  12. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

displayname likes this.
  13. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

See post #70. You’re not finding them on www.JBL.com because they’re listed on the JBL Synthesis site.

L100 Classic - JBL Synthesis

displayname and Dennis0675 like this.
  14. Orrin Porter Rockwell

Orrin Porter Rockwell Well-Known Member

I shared a townhouse in Georgetown (Washington DC) with two other bachelors in the early through mid 1970's. One of my roomies bought a pair of orange L100's at one of the large audio chains (Dixie HiFi, IIRC) and got them for a 30% discount immediately upon walking in the door. I really liked them for what they were, classic rock speakers. In fact, I preferred his L100's to the speakers I owned at the time - ESS Heil AMT3 "Rock Monitors". If these JBL's were available today for a 30% discount ($2800) I'd probably buy a pair very quickly. In what color? Why, orange of course! Not only for nostalgia's sake but also because my wife has been redecorating in mid-century modern style and they would fit in perfectly.

I think that I'll keep checking the pro-audio 'sites, where JBL seems to be available these days. If these new Classic L100's become very popular it might be a while before they're selling at a decent discount so I'll probably have to wait. That's OK, I'm patient. If they're not big sellers right away they might be heavily discounted quickly and that $4000 msrp might be history:goodie:

Monsieur Gadbois and Manimal like this.
  15. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Yup yup

16. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I'd rather have a pair of these:

[​IMG]

-Bill

17. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

That's kind of my point. Would it kill them to just put a link or a page on JBL.com?

18. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

You people complaining about the orange grilles......boy, did you miss one hell of a decade!

And JBL weren't the only ones offering brightly colored grilles in the 70's, just for the record.

19. Moko

Moko Forum Resident

It seems all the people not happy about this release are from the US....I think JBL figured out long ago that Japan and the Far East are where their target market lives...every Jazz Kissa will either have JBL or Tannoy speakers the brand is worshipped there for its high end sound quality.

Today I watched hordes of Chinese kids blowing thousands of dollars on clothes and trainers in London I don’t think they would blink at $4000 for a pair of speakers when they are happy to pay $2500 for a puffy jacket.

displayname likes this.
  20. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

21. Holy Cow! The prices for these. I remember back in the 70's when the huge JBL studio monitors were a fraction of the price. Glad I bought my JBL 2800's back then. I think that they were under $100./pair.

22. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

But that $100 in let's say in 1973 is equal to the buying power of $568 today. Still, that ain't th 4K that these JBLs will cost 2018.

23. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

JBL kinda tarnished their image in the late 80's and early 90's with cheap HT and computer speakers. I could see them wanting to separate from that legacy...especially if they want to get back into higher end audio. Now if they'd only reissue their legendary guitar speakers!

GLYNSTYLER and displayname like this.
  24. Mitsuman

Mitsuman Diamond Tone Junkie

Pardon my ignorance, but is that a whizzer cone?

25. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Indeed but there is a lot of equity in that brand, as they well know. That's why Harmon bought the company. Better to splash the high end stuff on the home page and give the illusion that the $100 BT speaker came from the same company or shares some kind of magical house sound. "Synthesis" is hard to remember and more clunky of a web address. If I want at look at JBL speakers, going to JBL.com seems like a reasonable idea.

I think Harmon competes against it's self with their portfolio of brands. To help prevent this, North America may not be the market they are pushing JBL "Synthesis".

Their price point is a bit unreasonable. I can't think of any speaker being made in mexico that cost's half as much. No knock against the quality of the speaker but manufacturing is moved to mexico to save on labor. That saving is not being passed on the retail customer. A lower price point would diminish the perception of quality in the Asian markets where they pay top dollar for Vintage JBL's.

All that said, I want to be a fan but I need to hear them or hear a lot of owners rave about them before I'd drop the kind of cash they are asking for. I can just get an original pair of L100's.