McIntosh MCD 7008 CD player. How does it sound!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by McLover, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McLover

McLover Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi all,

I have a chance to acquire a McIntosh MCD 7008 CD player. It doesn't power up so will have to be repaired. Price is right, free. How does this unit sound? How are they for reliability? I want your perspectives on it.

2. rcarlton

rcarlton Forum Resident

Never heard one. But free!!!

If it doesn't power up, can't be too reliable. I'll take it off your hands for postage:D . With no power it will be very quiet, non-existent top end, no low end punch.

3. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

Like all solid state McIntosh gear, it tends to be just a hair on the dark side of neutral. Great sounding CD player for the time. It has 8 times oversampling with dual mono 20 bit dac's. Please note, it is a changer, however it is does not load like your average changer. You open the tray, and put the CD in it like a normal single loader, and it stores the CD's inside the unit. If you only want to play one CD, just insert the CD as normal and hit play. It was made between 1992 and 1996. It has a very stable transport, and it also has a digital output if you want to use an external dac. Unless it was damaged in a power surge, it probably just has a bad fuse or something, as McIntosh power supplies are incredibly reliable.

4. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I remember reading about this changer in Sam Tellig's monthly article in "Stereophile". The changer mechanism, known as MusicBank, was actually made by Nakamichi and was recommended to McIntosh by someone at IBM.

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks Joe and all! I emailed Terry DeWick about a repair estimate. It got a disc jammed inside it and tripped an interlock. No lightning damage so it is probably repairable reasonably. I'll let you know how it works out.

6. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

Cool! Terry is the man! He knows his McIntosh stuff inside and out!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.