Deadwood Coming back!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mazzy, Aug 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Happy to confirm that the Deadwood movie is indeed in pre-production as of July 16th. I came across the information in my Guild's private production listings that are available to the membership. Maria Caso who served as Production Designer of the series is back at the helm, can't wait to see this!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    carrick doone, sberger, AmosM and 4 others like this.
  2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I can tell you what I don't want to take up a second of screen time: The antics of that theater troupe. I never understood what the point of that storyline was...dead air.

They'll have to address the death of Cy Tolliver, of course.

And what happens after Hearst leaves the town with a chip on his shoulder.

My main concern is that one 2 hour movie doesn't seem like enough time to satisfactorily wrap everything up. Something like a six episode mini series would seem the minimum.

Deadwood burned down in 1879, and the movie might take us through to that, but again, with only about 2 hours to tell the story, I wonder if they'll get there.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  3. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I assume this will take place 15+ years in the future since all of the actors are that much older than they were in the series? Would be pretty dumb to try to pull off a finale NOW in the same time-frame as the series. I didn't read the whole thread so if this was already addressed, then my bad.

4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I don't see how that works...The war that Hearst was hatching would then be about 15 years in the rear view mirror.

What are they doing to do? Have the old gang hanging around in the saloon sharing stories like "Hey! Remember that time Hearst tried to run us out of f'ing town? (Laughter). Yeah, that c'sucker never knew what hit 'em!"

5. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

good article, strange with all the comebacks (arrested development, etc) that come back for a series or mini series theyre only giving them a two hour movie, but beggars cant be chosers! too bad they cant bring back my favorite character (and actor) wild bill! (rip)

Dave Hoos, Tuco and alexpop like this.
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

yep ..shot in the back, too early.

Instant Dharma and Tuco like this.
  7. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I really enjoyed Langrishe, liked his friendship with Al, and evidently he and his theater troupe were quite an integral part in the development of Deadwood. And as always, Brian Cox gave a terrific performance. I wouldn't mind seeing him return at all.

Dave Hoos and Tuco like this.
  8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

You can stream in on Amazon and HBO Go. I just rewatched. Amazing how much I picked up on that I either forgot or missed the first time around.

9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Shooting starts Oct. 5th.

W. Earl Brown Shares His Thoughts On David Milch's 'Deadwood' Movie Script

10. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I would wish -- wish -- since this is a two-hour movie or so -- that it would include scenes and action from the country around Deadwood, and not be like a play on stage, in that nearly every scene takes place inside the town structures or on the main drag. You know, a little flavor of a traditional Western -- prairies, canyons, high plains, etc.

11. DigMyGroove

They're set up at Melody Ranch north of Los Angeles, this is where Westworld's production was based as well. No doubt that there's lots of exteriors to shoot.

Dave Hoos, Tuco and GentleSenator like this.
  12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

They should have rebooted the show.
    2 hour movie will have to suffice.

13. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

I agree to experiencing some disappointment about being limited to a two-hour movie, but as you said, we are the beggars here.

I didn't see the series until earlier this year (HBO on Demand), but then binge watched, and then binge watched a second time! I was starting on my third time, when I decided to just get the BluRay set. Anyway, I agree that there is so much happening that repeated viewings reveal subtleties and layers.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  14. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

I read recently that the movie's timeline will be ten years further along from the end of Season Three.

And we have since lost two of the series' actors to death: Powers Booth who played Cy Tolliver; and Ralph Richeson who played Richardson.

A couple of interesting bits about these two men . . . .

Cy Tolliver died of pancreatic cancer and was buried in the city of Deadwood, but in Texas, not Dakota.

For Ralph Richeson, Deadwood was his first acting gig. He was apparently very well liked with actor Jim Beaver (who played Ellsworth) saying on Facebook: "I don't think there was anyone remotely involved in the show who didn't love Ralph".

15. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

And don't forget the closed captions! Imperative, imo.

Tuco likes this.
  16. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Damn completely missed that he had died. What a shame.

Dave Hoos, trumpet sounds and Tuco like this.
  17. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

The most worrisome aspect of this project, besides the time limitations, is this 10 year jump I just read about upthread. 10 months would've been preferable! But Earl Brown says the scripts incredible, and in Milch I trust so bring it!

GodShifter and Tuco like this.
  18. the pope ondine

10 years? whoa....I think some of the characters will be scattered around in various locations, no? never mind! I don't want to know....I want to be surprised

19. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

….Maybe the 10 yr jump will be used to explain the absence of actors unable to return. Jeez, I'm prompted to go check wiki to see when Calamity Jane passed away. SHE'S gotta come back!!!;)

Tuco and JimW like this.
  20. the pope ondine

lol no spoilers!

21. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Hmmm, what if it turns out "Deadwood" was actually just a "story" in Westworld all along! :yikes:

Tuco, GodShifter, realkilroy and 3 others like this.
  22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yea for a few F'n seasons at least...

realkilroy and Dave Hoos like this.
  23. Michael

[​IMG]
    Ralph...
    [​IMG]

AmosM, Tuco, jonnyeric and 3 others like this.
  24. DigMyGroove

Yeah, all of them are hosts, EXCEPT Al Swearingen. Just imagine him and William aka The Man in Black having a whiskey together in the Loopland Saloon!

Dave Hoos likes this.
  25. Michael

I recently bought Deadwood con BD...I'm ready to watch it all over again with the movie...cool.

Dave Hoos likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.