MONKEES: "Steam Engine" b/w "Raindrops" 45rpm

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cdice, Aug 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdice

cdice New Member Thread Starter

I was doing an eBay search today, and I just stumbled across a Monkees 45rpm that I didn't even know existed. What is this? Anyone know the history behind it?

THE MONKEES "STEAM ENGINE" B/W "RAINDROPS" on 45! AUTOGRAPHED BY DAVY JONES AND PRODUCER CHIP DOUGLAS! This is an ULTRA RARE 45 R.P.M. Record that was released by "THE MONKEES RELIVED COMMITTEE" in 1983! BIR-004-Designed by Monkees Historian Gary Strobl! When I purchased it in 1983, it already came autographed by Chip Douglas.

Is it a "bootleg"? What's this song, "Raindrops"? When was it recorded? Never heard of it!

2. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

This was a private issue put out by Chip Douglas himself, since I believe he actually "owned" the master to that song. I seem to recall that Colgems would not pay for it's somewhat high production cost back in the day, so he shelled it out of his own pocket. I seem to remember that that's how it went. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Personally, I think Colgems dropped the ball on that one. It was a GREAT song that could have been a hit, but who cared by that point? They were too interested in getting "Changes" made!

3. reechie

reechie Senior Member

That take of "Steam Engine" is an alternate version from the one Rhino's used over the years (and different from the one that was inserted into the rerun of The Monkees On Tour episode of the series). This version features some comic growling from Micky Dolenz before the main vocal starts.

"Rainbows" is technically not a Monkees song, but instead is a Davy Jones solo track from the 70's, probably recorded around the time Dolenz, Jones and Tork recorded "Christmas Is My Time Of Year" with Chip. Chip also remixed and reissued the Christmas song as a private pressing single around 1986 or so.

4. cdice

This is sort of a bummer for me. I guess Chip Douglas won't license his "Monkees" songs to Rhino for the expanded editions? Or maybe he's asking too much for the licensing? Maybe Andrew can chime in here. I'm certainly not going to pay $150. plus for a 45rpm! (The eBay auction was over $150. the last I checked.) I'd sure like to hear Chip's version of 'Steam Engine' and that song 'Raindrops', whether 'Raindrops' is technically a Monkees song or not....................Is the song 'Raindrops' or 'Rainbows'?

5. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Chip's alternate "Steam Engine" isn't all that different from the version Rhino already has. Dolenz just growls a bit at the beginning. In fact, it's probably on the multi-track, and just mixed out of the Rhino version. You're not really missing anything.

"Rainbows" (correct title) is a pleasant enough country and western tune, but again, nothing special.

$150 bux, eh? I think mine cost five or ten dollars.

6. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

I dunno, RIch, I seem to remember the first verse was an alternate vocal, which switched to the FAMILIAR lead vocal take halfway through the song. I would bet that there are at least three lead vocal tracks on that multi.

7. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Probably, but they're still not all that much different from each other. :shrug:

8. cdice

David Jones hasn't released "Rainbows" on one of his solo efforts, has he?

9. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Cdice...Send me an email or PM if you'd like to hear this song. Ron

10. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

That price seems insane to me. I got mine off ebaY as well, a few years ago. I actually could have gotten one for $5 or so at a (pre-reunion) Monkees convention in the Chicago area back in the early 1980s. I passed on it then and kicked myself for the next 15 years or so. I don't remember what I paid for mine. I'm sure it was well over $5, but it wasn't anything even close to $150.

"The Monkees" is given as the artists on both sides, even though "Rainbows" is clearly a David Jones solo recording. (I wonder how much Chip Douglas did with the guys in the 1970s. I think he should put together his own anthology.) I haven't listened to it in a long time (I don't presently have a working turntable) but as I recall, it almost reminded me of a Nesmith-ish song.

11. "R" Ed

"R" Ed Forum Resident

I bought a few copies at the 1984 Chicago Monkees convention (now down to only 2) and they were a limited release specifically for that convention in conjunction with Gary Strobl (co-producer of the convention) and Chip Douglas. My copies were signed by Chip who happened to be at the convention that year. Chip also had on hand reissued copies of "Christmas Is My Time of Year" on a 45 RPM (no picture sleeve but mini poster) as well as cassette. Still have these in my collection as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.