Everyday Music in Beaverton, OR closing in October

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by ramonesfan, Sep 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ramonesfan

ramonesfan Forum Resident Thread Starter

For anyone in the Portland, OR area, Everyday Music's Beaverton location will be closing in October. :cry:

Over the past few years, I've had pretty good experiences finding OOP/uncommon stuff there, and I've always found the “staff picks” on display to be interesting and well-curated.

They are having a Labor Day weekend sale (25% off all used CDs), so this would probably be a great time to visit/stock up before they close.

GentleSenator likes this.
  2. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Shame. I worked at the Beaverton Tower Records/Video back in the 90's. I don't like this trend.

3. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

had the rug pulled out from under 'em, lease-wise. at least we'll have another liquor store to occupy that space!

only place in town i've found a LZII RL cut for a normal price in the used bin. i've found great new used arrivals almost weekly here, and to piggy back on what @ramonesfan mentioned: it's the only EM that has a great display with "staff picks" and highlights from their recent used buys. i will seriously miss my friday visit to this place.

they'll be moving their inventory to the other two locations, but the fella there said they have no plans to liquidate stuff on-hand or anything. sale going on now is company-wide.

googlymoogly likes this.
  4. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Damn, that sucks. This was the most convenient location for me to visit, by far. (I live in Southwest.)

Aside from downtown, what independent record stores are left on the west side of the river?

5. jfine

jfine Forum Resident

I think that was it.

6. ramonesfan

ramonesfan Forum Resident Thread Starter

One of the employees told me that a group of them might try to continue on independently in some fashion in the Beaverton area...they had an email sign-up list going to keep folks up-to-date on any future plans. Probably a long-shot, but I'll keep my fingers crossed!

7. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

several have popped up over the years only to shut down quickly. only thing left really are vintage & consignment shops. lotsa folks peddle their vinyl at them.

8. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Portlanders, sorry to hear about one of your record stores closing, as that always sucks and I feel your pain.

By the way, have any of you ever run into Gino Vannelli while you were out and about, as he now lives in Portland?

9. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

funny, I found a LZII RL in the used bins at everyday in seattle for 15 bucks last year!

10. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

they're out there! unfortunately with shops like this one closing they'll be more of a challenge to stumble across casually.

11. Sonic Archives

Sonic Archives Well-Known Member

It was seriously a drag to hear about this a while back. As a resident of Hillsboro, they were definitely the closest place for me to buy vinyl, and with my weird range of musical likes, they somehow managed to nail anything I might be interested in, whether vintage / obscure, or the modern stuff. This part of the PacNW region really needs a place like that EM in particular, as the folks who staffed that store always seemed a bit more vested in the old school vibe of a record shop, and I'm saying that having worked at places like Disc-O-Mat and Tower records in NYC back in the '80s. I really do hope they were serious about trying to open a new place in the area, and I wouldn't mind being involved in that either, if it would help insure that those kinds of places don't all just vanish.

12. Ogre

Ogre Active Member

This sucks. I used to travel to that area for business & would always look forward to spending a couple hours there.

13. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Aww...I Just stumbled onto this thread, I had no idea they closed, I haven't been out to Beaverton in quite some time.
    EM Beaverton was actually my favorite of the three EMs, it wasn't picked over as quickly as the Portland stores, so I often found some rare and uncommon stuff there.
    I got an Abbey Road Black Triangle for six bucks the last time I was out there.

googlymoogly and GentleSenator like this.
  14. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

Yep... it's the only place in the area I've ever found a LZII RL for $15. Along with dozens of other rare and valuable records and a near-constant influx of used vinyl thanks to them being the only sizable record store out west of Portland. I miss this location dearly!

googlymoogly likes this.
  15. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I'm cautiously optimistic that Echo Audio's move out here (to Raleigh Hills in Southwest) will eventually attract some record store(s) to open up nearby.

There used to be a used CDs shop in Multnomah Village, years ago. Maybe the dramatic changes to the Village will result in some new record/CD store opening up?

Jeez, I can't help but feel like I'm channeling the wishes of 1996. The likelihood of what I'm describing seems more remote and unlikely than ever.

googlymoogly and GentleSenator like this.
  16. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

well they ain't doin' anything fast with the space that was Renner's...

17. DIDXDIDP

DIDXDIDP Well-Known Member

is this because of Direct Shot's sloppy distribution recently?...

18. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

no. see above. the location had its lease pulled out from under them. i guess they opted not to relocate in the vicinity.

19. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

They looked, real estate in Portland and vicinity has become quite expensive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.