Spin CDs seems to have closed up shop

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MGSeveral, Sep 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm Thread Starter

Hi,

Yeah, I used to get emails on a daily basis, usually stuff I had no interest in (plethora of Grateful Dead box sets). but sometimes things I would actually want...

I ordered the Beatles Christmas Singles box straight out of the traps, it took about 8 months to arrive, but arrive it did and not at the price it was subsequently going for, so hey.

Last email from them was about the Skip Spence set, Village Green box sets, other tempting things, but that was mid august.

So, I'm guessing if you preordered that Bobbie Gentry box at a rock-bottom price from them, well.....

marmalade166 likes this.
  2. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Web site is down, so probably.

3. fretbuzzed

fretbuzzed Forum Resident

They took my money in February this year for two disc's I haven't received the goods.
    I have emailed them several times throughout the year and had no reply,
    my last email a couple of weeks ago was again unanswered.

Now it's onto my bank and their legal team to sort out.
    I blame myself for not keeping a closer eye on it,
    but previous purchases from Spin CD's have often taken weeks to arrive so I let it ride for a couple of months.
    Then in May (I think) I started chasing them but heard nothing. Anyone live up that way know if their shop is still open?

4. marc roberty

marc roberty Forum Resident

About time. Dreadful customer service. So many people stopped using them after their money was taken and no product delivered. Impossible to contact them. Good riddance!

5. taylora98

taylora98 Forum Resident

Website that used to state "In Stock" and then never respond to queries about delivery dates. Good riddance.

6. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm Thread Starter

It never was a shop, just mail order/website

7. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

That's £40 of mine I'll never see again. I'd left it a fortnight too long for my credit card supplier to be interested because I hadn't spent enough. Crazy, if I could afford to spend more I'd get it back, but because I only spent less than £100 I couldn't. Good *****ng riddance to them.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  8. correctodad

correctodad Forum Resident

It was a shop - based in High Bridge in Newcastle upon Tyne. However the shop closed a good number of years ago and since then it has been mail order only - with a dreadful reputation for delivery.

Alan2, sound chaser and Man at C&A like this.
  9. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

They did have a store in Newcastle in high bridge street they moved across the road and then closed it , a number of years ago. They then moved to a unit just outside of Newcastle city centre. I actually went there once to pick up a large box set ( by arrangement) it was mail order only. They then moved to another address in Whitley bay a few miles further from Newcastle and again I went once to pick up an item. I will drive there tomorrow and see if I can establish (if anyone will answer the door) if they are still trading and report back

peace and love✌Dave

10. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

Their service was horrendous over some Van Morrison Too Late to Stop sets for me, albeit a few years' back.

It's a shame though, as it was a great shop, with Grateful Dead / Allmans expertise.

11. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

They must have been an extremely profitable company because they habitually took customers' money and didn't supply the goods. My fear is that they've just ceased trading so that they can start up with a new name and a cleaner reputation. Whatever, Spin CDs will be neither missed nor lamented.

lightbulb likes this.
  12. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

I saw a picture on another forum showing that their current mailing address was a cafe!!

13. Thomas Casagranda

Retry for a live version
    This page (https://www.spincds.com/) is currently offline. However, because the site uses Cloudflare's Always Online™ technology you can continue to surf a snapshot of the site. We will keep checking in the background and, as soon as the site comes back, you will automatically be served the live version

14. Thomas Casagranda

Website domain also appears to have been set up remotely from the USA; this looks like a High Risk to do business with:

omain Name: spincds.com
    Registry Domain ID: 1510766_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
    Registrar WHOIS Server: WHOIS.ENOM.COM
    Registrar URL: WWW.ENOM.COM
    Updated Date: 2018-06-24T03:32:44.00Z
    Creation Date: 1998-06-30T04:00:00.00Z
    Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2019-06-29T04:00:00.00Z
    Registrar: ENOM, INC.
    Registrar IANA ID: 48
    Domain Status: registrar-lock* EPP Status Codes | What Do They Mean, and Why Should I Know? - ICANN
    Registrant Name: Data Protected Data Protected
    Registrant Organization: Data Protected
    Registrant Street: 123 Data Protected
    Registrant Street:
    Registrant City: Kirkland
    Registrant State/Province: WA
    Registrant Postal Code: 98033
    Registrant Country: US

15. Beaneydave

Well , it took some finding but it was just a door between two shops , maybe a cafe - I’m not sure.
    The door Opened to stairway and the unit was clearly upstairs but I was not invited in.

peace and love✌Dave

16. fretbuzzed

Cheers Dave

I knew they had a shop at one time, thought it was still going, didn't know it ended up mail order only.
    Back in the day I spoke to some lad when they had a shop regarding an order I placed with them,
    got into some chat somehow or other about football and he told me the owner was a Big Newcastle fan and season ticket holder.
    Back then I had relatives in Berwick on Tweed and had plans when en route , in dropping by Spin Cd's to see what they had on the shelves.
    That never happened 'and I guess it never will' (there's a song in there:rolleyes: )

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    Beaneydave likes this.
  17. Thomas Casagranda

18. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

maybe all of the grey market stuff caught up to them legally.

marmalade166 likes this.
  19. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

It is a shame that they will probably be remembered for the last few (7-8) years where there were obviously having problems staying afloat and service suffered (or people were simply robbed) ......but prior to that when they had the shop they were actually a pretty decent outfit and for us in the UK a pretty knowledgeable centre for getting American releases by The Dead, Allman Bros, The Byrds etc.

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  20. Beaneydave

The grey market stuff is legal over here in the U.K./ EU so I doubt that is the issue.

peace and love✌Dave

Imagine70 and Brother_Rael like this.
  21. Beaneydave

Yes the shop , and staff, were fantastic back in the day.

peace and love✌Dave

Oyster Boy likes this.
  22. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

They were once very good but recently the service has been dreadful to the point I stopped using them. I had to redirect their emails to spam as I kept getting the offer stuff through and thinking that's a really good price and then having to remind myself there would be every chance I'd never receive anything. Shame really, seemed like decent enough guys initially but then just completely overwhelmed.

23. fretbuzzed

that's true mate, in the long distant past they often came up with some gems that I was unaware of.
    They often had a fairly quick delivery on most of what I had ordered, and pre-orders arrived very shortly after release date.
    So in fairness when deliveries started taking longer but did arrive,
    I took it that they were busy or had supply problems so I was patient and left the orders standing.
    The goods always arrived albeit delayed up until around late last year.
    My first orders this year from them never arrived but my card was charged, so naturally I thought they would fulfil the order eventually.

24. Beaneydave

Ok so I’ve just been to the door ,299A,which is locked ( it used to open onto a small hallway with another door with a staircase behind it. The outer locked door is glass so I can see the small Spin sign next to the bell on the wall inside is still there.
    However outside a “ to let” sign is on the wall at the first floor height and there is a build up of mail inside the door the top letter of which is addressed to “The Manager Spin Records” and dated August 30th.
    So I guess that’s it.

peace and love✌Dave

kronning, Oyster Boy, SteveM and 2 others like this.
  25. Daveymoore

Daveymoore Forum Resident

Last used them about 2 years ago, waited months, numerous phone calls and in the end I asked for a refund which I did receive.
    It does appear that they have been planning to disappear for months as every week they were e mailling with a 20% discount code which seemed (was} far too good to be true. I suspect they were planning to pull in as much money as possible before doing a runner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.