The Soul Revival: Daptone, Colemine, Big Crown, et al*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by andres lira, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

Colemine’s gloria barnes reissue and the charles bradley remix 45 showed up yesterday. Missed out on gloria the 1st time, what an awesome album. Wish it were longer tho.

DTK and DLant like this.
  2. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Mine should arrive tomorrow. The CB showed up yesterday. Can’t wait to spin it!

3. Batman21

Question - Sugaman 3’s ‘what the world needs now’ lp showed up and the label says stereo but the sleves says mono. Can anyone verfiy that this album was only mixed in mono?

4. Batman21

The CB is pretty cool. Not sure how often i see myself putting it in tho. I received a purple one.

DLant likes this.
  5. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

a lot of Retro Soul popping up or at least that I have just become aware of like The Suffers, Barrence Whitfield & The Savages and The Bamboos.

DLant likes this.
  6. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

The suffers have been big in the local Houston scene for years. A lot of fun. Going to see Tomar and the FCs this weekend, they’re from Austin and while their recorded stuff is just ok , live they are awesome.

Also just read Binky is leaving the Dap Kings. Understandable but further proof the era is at a big change. Not clear if it means his other opportunities are outside Daptone altogether

DLant likes this.
  7. Batman21

oh man, where did you read that?

DLant likes this.
  8. guidedbyvoices

[​IMG]

blutiga and DLant like this.
  9. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Been digging this trio on youtube and Facebook for a while now. fantastic Hammond trio, great to know there's an LP to get!!!!!!

DLant likes this.
  10. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Yeah I was blown away to hear them cover John Patton's Memphis. Great version.

DLant and Six String like this.
  11. DLant

There’s two!

Their debut and there was an RSD live album that’s still widely available!

12. Batman21

wowzah. what a bummer.

DLant likes this.
  13. DLant

Antibalas has been in the House of Soul the last couple of days working on a NEW record! Hell yeah!

notesofachord and guidedbyvoices like this.
  14. DLant

It also looks like the Dap-Kings are doing something in the studio (Binky Griptite) included!

guidedbyvoices likes this.
  15. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Just a heads up in case it hasn't been mentioned here...

Funk Inc., a soul jazz group from the 70s on Prestige originally and I think fans of this thread would approve. Recorded by RVG, laquers cut by Kevin Gray and pressed by Quality Record Pressings. It's kind of equal parts jazz and funk and heavy on dance grooves. Recommended!

DLant likes this.
  16. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Spinning another find, this a Bernard Purdie album Shaft, yes that Shaft. He takes it in a jazzier style but it still grooves.
    Pretty nice slab f 70s soul jazz, not unlike the Funk Inc. I mentioned.

DLant likes this.
  17. DLant

NEW CHARLES BRADLEY COMING IN NOVEMBER!!!

18. Batman21

did u see the track listing though....:sigh:

19. guidedbyvoices

Looks good to me!
    four previously unreleased songs
    first time on LP for the other 6 that were scattered among singles and cd bonus tracks.

From what I can tell, they left out
    * the 4 singles that were released before No Time for Dreaming (too bad about the Christmas single, that one is killer)
    * NTFD bonus cut Brother I'm Down
    * Change Change Change (Luv Jones b side - lyrically it's pretty close to the new song I Feel a Change)
    * Cumberland Gap (Grateful Dead tribute comp song)

Am I missing anything?

Not counting things like Grant Green (not daptone song) or remixes (Whatcha Down to Me, or the instrumentals), I think it looks like a pretty great compilation.

scratchtasia, groovelocked and DLant like this.
  20. DLant

I did. That’s why I’m excited!

21. DLant

:righton:

22. Batman21

i guess im bummed that we are already in compilation phase...but i'll take what i can get.

23. 3Dman

3Dman The Adventure Begins

Looked at the pre-order on Amazon, and apparently there’s a deluxe vinyl box:

Charles Bradley's forthcoming LP, Black Velvet is an extraordinary collection of 10 tracks making their LP debut. In addition to fan favorites like Charles covers of Nirvanas 'Stay Away', Neil Young's 'Heart Of Gold', and Rodriguez's 'Slip Away' - this album features 4 never-before-heard tracks from Producer Tommy 'TNT' Brenneck's vaults. As a one-time pressing for the super-fan we have a gorgeous black velvet wrapped box set that includes the following: 180g vinyl version of the standard LP, a bonus 12 45rpm EP with stripped down mixes of 4 CB classics, an exclusive slip-mat, 2 printed heavy-duty inner sleeves sporting a surreal painting of Charles and the interview in which he explains the origin of the painting, a 12x12 photo-book with extensive liner notes from Producer Tommy 'TNT', an exact replica of Charles' original Black Velvit business card, and last but certainly not least...a seeded DL Card (once you've retrieved your DL, you can plant the card and wildflowers will grow in memory of Charles).

groovelocked, Batman21 and DLant like this.
  24. guidedbyvoices

Oh heck yeah

DLant and 3Dman like this.
  25. Batman21

Yes yes yes! Preemptive preorder while we wait for the direct from Daptone option.

3Dman and DLant like this.