Marantz ND8006 or SA8005 + Chromecast

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Christophe999s, Sep 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christophe999s

Christophe999s Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been listening to my cd collection more often, and was thinking about getting a decent cd player.
    For the moment I use my Oppo 103, which is great for blu ray, but it has never been able to convince me with music.
    The Marantz ND8006 seems like a very nice package. CD-player , streamer and DAC, all in one box.
    But the SA8005 with something like a Chromecast (Spotify is my main streaming service) is about the same price if I shop around a bit. I don't have any sacd's, so I don't really need the sacd functionality.
    Anyone who has experience with these devices or alternatives I should consider?

2. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

It's been a while since I've heard a SA8005, so I don't really remember how it sounds (and I've never used one in combo with a Chromecast).

But, I've had a ND8006 here for a month or so now and I've been really quite impressed with the unit. Functionality is great, and the sound is quite impressive (and even better it's not too crazy priced). Probably not a lot of people have heard these yet as they are fairly new, but I think it will be a hit for Marantz.

Ttl likes this.
  3. Christophe999s

Yes, it seems to be a very nice and complete package. I just don't know if the ND will sound as good as the SA when playing cd's, which will be it's primary function.
    How do you like the Heos app? Easy to use with a NAS? I don't have much experience with it.
    I've used the Bluesound app and was very impressed, but I find the devices a bit pricey.

4. Warm_tunes

Warm_tunes Forum Resident

I have owned the ND8006 for about 3 weeks and it is a very solid piece of equipment that sounds better (at HEOS streaming Tidal) than it should at its price point. Very expansive sound, extremely musical Marantz "house sound," and lots of options to optimize playback (turning off USB, networking, headphone amps, etc).

Sorry I can't comment on the CD performance as I am only streaming, but if it's anything like the sound it puts out via Tidal it should be great. The USB implementation is the weak link in the unit. I did find that the internal streamer had better sound quality than running other Roon endpoints (ultraRendu, iPhone 6S) into the USB-B input.

The HEOS app is a bit clunky and takes some getting used to but it's not the worst thing out there.

Christophe999s likes this.
  5. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I have the sa8005 and have had it over 2 years now, it is a superbly dynamic and high end sounding CD player. Sounds much better than basic CD players and is all I will ever need for sound quality.
    I also use chromecast audio connected to the SA DAC with mini TOSLINK cable. I stream with a good samsung tablet and it sounds great, especially with higher quality streams.

6. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

The SA8005 plays SACD, the ND8006 does not (but can play DSD files). I'd probably make the decision around that - if you don't need to play SACDs, the ND8006 seems like the better choice.

Christophe999s likes this.
  7. Christophe999s

I've setup a Plex server on my Raspberry Pi and have been experimenting a bit with a Chromecast audio and I got some great results.
    RPi, Plex and Chromecast seem to be a winning combination for a relatively low cost streaming solution.
    So I'll probably opt for the SA8005 :)

8. MichaelXX2

MichaelXX2 Dictator perpetuo

Does the SA8005 decode discs with pre-emphasis? I'm considering simplifying a bit, replacing my Pioneer DVD player feeding a Holo Audio Spring. The comments about the immense musicality of Marantz players is tempting, but I do really like my current setup's sound...

9. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I think someone posted in another thread that they asked Marantz this very question and were told that yes, all of their players decode pre-emphasis.

MichaelXX2 likes this.
  10. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Just a heads up.....Marantz has a new Reference player out...the SA-KI Ruby Ken Ishiwata Signature SACD player with DAC.

11. Christophe999s

I think that's a bit out of my budget ;)

Slippers-on likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.