Paul McCartney - Egypt Station appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Sep 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

I think Paul’s historically terrible judgment on what to release as a single is what is preventing Paul from releasing it as a single at this time :laugh:

Oddly enough though, due to the fact that it’s on no digital providers, it’s actually impossible for it and Get Started to chart. So the only potential massive hit on the project and that’s the status it’s stuck at!

2. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

It will be available digitally in time
    Not that it would matter -Paul won t have any major hit-not even a catchy ditto like this . Those days are gone

3. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Here's the breakdown of where the albums fall with respect to Paul's personal life [not including classical or live ones]:
    The Linda Years: McCartney - Flaming Pie
    interim: Rushes, Run Devil Run, Liverpool Sound Collage
    The Heather Years: Driving Rain, Twin Freaks, Chaos & Creation In The Backyard
    The Nancy Years: Memory Almost Full, Electric Arguments, Kisses On The Bottom, New, Egypt Station...

Chaos was definitely towards the end of the Heather period, but still within that range. Perhaps the dissolution of that relationship was a sobering event. [Pun intended. See "Happy With You"...]

4. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Paul's next album:
    Ancient Connections

Featuring the songs:
    Big Mountain Face
    Chief Rug
    Unspoken Words
    Pintos In The Sky With Desert Poppy [Lennon tribute]

:nyah:

5. Oh yeah on that EP of Nothing For Free should be a mash-up with sampling of a gruff Robert DeNiro exclaiming- “You talkin’ To Me?!?”

6. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

He'll just have to release it under The Fireman name then! That'll loophole through the Target exclusive, and the general public won't be turned off knowing it's a legacy act. ;)

7. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

I noticed that the performance credits don't show details for anybody other than McCartney. Is that listed anywhere?

8. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

[​IMG]
    Probably as close as we will get...

9. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Do they still make those?

Shak Cohen likes this.
  10. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I'd love to help out in any way
    But my brain stopped working today

:)

JDeanB and Mr. Explorer like this.
  11. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

Here's a head cleaner:
    [​IMG]
    ;)

12. HearHear

HearHear Well-Known Member

No matter what you think of the new album, aren't we lucky to be living in an era where Paul McCartney is still making new music? And TOURING? Many performers his age are doing farewell tours. But not Paul, he's doing "freshen up" tours instead LOL! I once flew across the US and was exhausted, then I thought about Paul doing world tours and called myself a wimp for being tired. It will indeed be a very sad day when he retires, but I honestly don't think he ever will. He just keeps going and going and going. Last time I saw him on his "One On One" tour last year in the US, at the end of the concert he said "until next time". That made me happy.

13. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I've listened to it all the way through a couple of times.

Then I shook things up a bit by listening in this order:
    1. "Opening Station" 0:42
    4. "Happy with You" 3:34
    7. "Confidante" 3:04
    10. "Dominoes" 5:02
    13. "Caesar Rock" 3:29
    16. "Hunt You Down/Naked/C-Link" 6:22
    2. "I Don't Know" 4:27
    5. "Who Cares" 3:13
    8. "People Want Peace" 2:59
    11. "Back in Brazil" 3:17
    14. "Despite Repeated Warnings" 6:57
    17. "Get Started" 3:41
    3. "Come On to Me" 4:11
    6. "Fuh You" 3:23
    9. "Hand in Hand" 2:35
    12. "Do It Now" 3:29
    15. "Station II" 0:46
    18. "Nothing for Free" 3:15

Who knows, maybe next I'll listen to this order:
    17. "Get Started" 3:41
    9. "Hand in Hand" 2:35
    8. "People Want Peace" 2:59
    18. "Nothing for Free" 3:15
    3. "Come On to Me" 4:11
    7. "Confidante" 3:04
    15. "Station II" 0:46
    13. "Caesar Rock" 3:29
    16. "Hunt You Down/Naked/C-Link" 6:22
    11. "Back in Brazil" 3:17
    1. "Opening Station" 0:42
    10. "Dominoes" 5:02
    5. "Who Cares" 3:13
    14. "Despite Repeated Warnings" 6:57
    4. "Happy with You" 3:34
    6. "Fuh You" 3:23
    2. "I Don't Know" 4:27
    12. "Do It Now" 3:29

:confused::confused:

14. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Even for Paul there will come a time when there will be no next time. That makes it even more natural to feel gratitude he s still out there. That also goes for those who only found a handful of songs to like on Egypt Station. When all is said and done that s better than no new McCartney music at all.

15. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Sorry, but you've got to move Memory Almost Full to "The Heather Years". It was recorded (and even released) before he was involved with the lovely Ms. Shevell.

16. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Gotta say I find this baffling. The Mediabase adds report on AllAccess shows 2 stations adding Ceasar Rock, but also a handful of other tracks being picked up by a station here and there. To me, Ceasar Rock is far less appealing than Who Cares, if one wants a rocker to promote to this group of stations. I don't get why they're not promoting Dominoes, which is just irresistable and seems like a natural for AC radio. Maybe they will once Come On To Me runs its course on AC (it's still rising rapidly this week, so obviously they're going to ride that for a while).

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  17. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

One thing I find interesting concerning ES is the lack of agreement on this album‘s lows.
    You know, there are tracks like „Cook Of The House“, Tug Of Peace“, Biker Like An Icon“, „Really Love You“, „Freedom“, „Gratitude“ and more most fans don’t like that much. But with ES for everybody not being enthusiastic about „Back In Brazil“ or „Caesar Rock“ there is immediately someone loving these songs. This is the same with most of the critics...everybody has its personal „darlings“. Up until now I‘ve thought the consensus was that „Fuh You“ was the obvious weak spot, but as part of the album and aided by a very charming video clip I‘m not too sure anymore...

theMess, nedwho, Lewisboogie and 3 others like this.
  18. Margrave

Margrave I'll Give It 5

Anyone think it's bland and boring as after a few listens and gone straight back to Wild Life and Ram ?

Frank likes this.
  19. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

20. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Are there credits for the bonus tracks?

I tried to hack get-started, but got a 404...

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  21. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Where is "Quarters"? ;)

22. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

While I don't disagree with you, I would point out that all the other adds are just being played by the same station - Sirius. The adds that Caesar got are on actual terrestrial radio stations.

theMess and Mr. Explorer like this.
  23. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

Update on my bad pressing of the colored deluxe vinyl.

Universal customer service responded with a pretty oblique copy pasted response but I read through the lines and figured out (and then confirmed) that they would send me a new one if I sent them back the bad copy. And they’d pay shipping. So I just dropped it off at the post office and now begins the (probably long) wait and see

theMess likes this.
  24. Margrave

Margrave I'll Give It 5

I still wake up with this in my head a few times a month since the album was released.
    Long before earworms were invented .

My kids still tell me to shut up when I start singing it in the morning.

theMess and Paperback Writer like this.
  25. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Yep, I have no problem saying individual tracks do less for me than others, but I will say that the diversity of the tracks including the ones that don't do much for me are what combined make this album such a masterpiece.

angelees, theMess, JDeanB and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.