Seeking feedback on IKEA's Kallax wall anchor hardware and vinyl storage question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by nacho220, Sep 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nacho220

nacho220 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I am hoping to get some feedback on the IKEA Kallax 5x5 unit and the wall anchor hardware. I have two 4x2 units filled up with my records but I recently aquired a 5x5 unit and would like to move my records into that. The bottom molding doesn't allow the 5x5 unit to sit flush with the wall and I was unsure about using the wall anchor hardware to secure it to the wall since essentially I'd be pushing the top portion against the wall because it isn't sitting flush. I'd feel better about using the wall anchor hardware but if it isn't advisable the way its positioned then I hope I can get some feedback with some other ideas or options.

Additionally, the wall the 5x5 is up against is the wall I'd like for it to be on (all the walls have the bottom molding so I'd run into the above situation on any wall)... but it is not an outside wall and is shared with the room next to it. So in the other room, on the other side of the wall is a filled 1500 capacity CD shelf. I am thinking about weight limits for construction and weight distribution if I were to keep the 5x5 unit on the other side of the wall with the CD shelf. Does anybody know what kind of weight limits there are for second floor construction? I did do some searching online and I came up with some information about 240lbs per square foot or something like that. Not sure how accurate that is or if there is anything else I should consider. Also not sure what the ultimate weight would be with a full 5x5 Kallax / 1500 CD shelf against either side of a wall.

I'd like to post some pictures if that helps with any discussion on this topic. I can't seem to get my Dropbox links of the photos to upload though... Thanks so much in advance!

2. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

I have two of these units and neither are anchored.

jeffsab and johnny q like this.
  3. nacho220

nacho220 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply,
    @Toddarino.
    Mine is a bit wobbly with no records in it, but I understand it will be more sturdy with weight in it. If I decide not to anchor though my next worry would be the weight distribution against the wall.

4. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

I have a few of these, all up against a wall with molding along the bottom. None are anchored and I have never had one move on me in the slightest. Once the albums are in, it is solid as a rock!

Bill Why Man and johnny q like this.
  5. zeram1

zeram1 Forum Resident

I have two 5x5’s side by side...filled and anchored...earthquake country.

I’m in a concrete jungle kind of building though. You never mentioned what is the structural material in your building?

They’re really heavy (about 125lbs) and bulky. I alone had to lift them ☹️

As for total weight, estimate that each cube holds around 50 albums.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    33na3rd and xilef regnu like this.
  6. marysdad

marysdad Forum Resident

You need to place a couple of stand-off blocks between the wall and the wall anchors, so you can tighten the securing bolts while keeping the unit level.

qwerty, BrettyD, bever70 and 4 others like this.
  7. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

I would say anchoring is only essential if you have small children running around.

avanti1960 and SandAndGlass like this.
  8. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

I have a 4x2 AND small children and have never encountered any problems. I’ve only recently graduated to vinyl, though, and, at current prices, the kids probably won’t be small by the time I need a 5x5.

9. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Here’s a few workaround solutions:
    1. Buy 2 or 3 sturdy metal “L” brackets.
    They should cost only a dollar or two, each.
    Screw those into the top of your new shelf, and also secure to a solid support wood beam behind the wall (VERY IMPORTANT! use a stud finder).
    Using the “L” brackets, the small quarter inch gap between the wall and shelf is not an issue.

Or
    2. Remove the wall baseboard moulding along the floor, that would be behind the 5x5 shelving unit.
    Install the 5x5 shelving unit.
    Cut and replace a piece of the baseboard moulding adjacent to the installed shelving unit.
    (This is based upon my non-expert opinion, and understanding that a baseboard is mainly cosmetic and primarily aesthetically pleasing.)

Perhaps a member with more “constructive” knowledge and experience can confirm, or complain, about my post. ;)

Shoalcove and 33na3rd like this.
  10. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I've had some of my 5x5 Expedits in use for around twenty years with no stability issues, once you fill the lower two rows with records you will soon realise those units aren't going anywhere, I also have some 2x4 freestanding vertically with no issues although I probably wouldn't recommend that if you have smaller children around, just in case.

11. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I’d probably make a spacer out of a board that is at least as thick as the baseboard. Screw that to the wall where the top of the shelf will be and then use the IKEA wall brackets to anchor the Kallax to the spacer.

Residential live load is assumed to be 40 pounds per square foot for engineering purposes. But that’s a uniform load over the entire floor. If we’re talking about a wood-framed floor, it most likely bears on the wall and can support much more weight in that area than 40 PSF. The loaded shelf could probably weigh 1,000 pounds if packed full, but imagine about 6 people standing there. Intuitively, we know that’s not a structural problem.

bever70, Carter DeVries and wgb113 like this.
  12. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

As @marysdad and @Bob_in_OKC mentioned, a stand-off is what you want. I have this same issue and used a 2 x 2 on each side cut long enough so that I could attach the standoff to a stud and then used the included Ikea hardware to attach the Kallax to the standoff. It's rock solid and gives piece of mind.

Ikea includes them for a reason...just like they have for years with all furniture capable of tipping. Unfortunately several families found out the tragic way just how important it is to use the provided anchors.

D700 and Vinyl Archaeologist like this.
  13. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Not disputing the very real dangers of furniture tipping over, but there is absolutely no way a fully loaded 5x5 Kallax on a flat floor surface will ever tip over without someone applying a great deal of force and some leverage, even a very conservative estimate gives it a vinyl loading of 225 kilos or close to 500lbs with a mid point centre of gravity, the wall mounts probably aren't even rated that high, the biggest danger with the Kallax is poor construction or placing the side on the bottom leading to structural failure.

Gabe Walters and Juggsnelson like this.
  14. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

If the shelf doesn't reach the stud to be anchored, you have to shim them. But if the shelf is loaded bottom to top there should not be problems without shimming. This is a center of gravity problem. Shove the records to the back and the shelf will tip toward the wall.

15. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

Yes, but an unloaded Kallax might tip over or a partially loaded, starting at the top, Kallax might tip over. Expect the unexpected.

Ikea and, most particularly, their attorneys, have included the anchors and instructed that they be firmly attached. If you fail to do so and there is an accident, Ikea's nearly perfect defense is going to be that you didn't follow the included safety instructions.

As you assemble your Kallax, the lawyers are looking over your shoulder!

lightbulb likes this.
  16. audiolab1

audiolab1 Forum Resident

I had the same issue with my 4x4 Expedit units, plus my wall studs did not line up with the anchoring brackets. My solution was to use some scrap pieces of plywood that were close to the same thickness as the gap, and wide enough to reach the studs. I then screwed those plywood pieces to the stud with long screws and then screwed the anchoring bracket to the piece of plywood. Works like a charm and there is no way those units are going to move!

chili555 likes this.
  17. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I'm thinking of purchasing my first 5x5 Kallax.

KALLAX Shelf unit - walnut effect light gray - IKEA

[​IMG]

IKEA's Task Rabbit is not available for my zip code, so I'm hoping to get someone locally to help with assembly. Not really a DIY guy.
    I live in a condo. How does wall anchor work in this situation?

Darryl

18. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

This, x infinity.
    If you have small children around, or live anywhere where there is a potential for earthquakes, you need to attach your taller shelves to the wall studs. It's not difficult, and it's not expensive. L-brackets are cheap & a stud sensor is inexpensive and very handy for other projects as well.

lightbulb likes this.
  19. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Thinking of using a handyman service to get my IKEA Kallax assembled.

Home Improvement Professionals

Will check everything out before I make the order with IKEA.

Darryl

20. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Darryl, don't waste your money, Ikea have designed their product so that even those without any DIY skills can assemble them correctly with the minimum of tools, search online for the instructions and see if you feel comfortable putting in some wooden dowels and a few hex headed screws, you assemble the unit led on it's front on the floor so you will need a fair bit of space and an extra pair of hands to help lift it is useful, but not essential.

GuinnessDan and lightbulb like this.
  21. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

It wouldn't be a waste of money.
    I am too busy taking care of my injured wife.
    Also we live in a small condo, so there's not a fair bit of space.

Darryl

22. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora Señor Member

23. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

Quick fix and easy, add legs to the bottom. I did it with my 2x4 and it raised it above the molding and I used the anchors as well. I’d have to check which legs but it looks better with the legs anyway. You’d need 6-8 pair

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
  24. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Still haven’t gotten around to this. Also not comfortable with my DIY skills regarding this project.

Darryl

McGuy likes this.
  25. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Darryl, I have every confidence in you,:righton: you get the hex wrench included which is used to tighten just 8 bolts, otherwise you require a hammer or mallet to tap in some dowels, then just line them up with the holes, it really is as simple as can be and current Kallaxes are easier than the original Expedit that proceeded it, Ikea have really simplified everything as much as possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.