Paul McCartney - Egypt Station appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Sep 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lazydynamite

lazydynamite Forum Resident

It's a good job he wasn't born in Glasgow........lol

2. postscripum

postscripum Forum Resident

Funny about his regular claims that his family supports Everton. His brother Mike has been going to watch LFC since at least the early sixties. I often see him there. Maybe he's a masochist!

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  3. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Does it really matter. Paul himself has made the intention with this song very clear.
    It s a laugh(or not) imo a good pop-song
    Most of use the F-word,most pop-songs of today to

Ringo Hendrix and Lewisboogie like this.
  4. Wingspan

Wingspan Forum Resident

"If you weren’t in the audience, fear not: all of these moments and more are now available in Paul McCartney & Spotify Singles: Under The Staircase, a first-of-its-kind audio and video playlist comprising 17 audio tracks and a feature-length concert film. Included in the playlist are 34 videos* highlighting the most special moments of the Abbey Road Session."

*The 34 videos are only available in the following markets: UK, US, SE, CA, AU, NZ, LATAM

5. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

'Under the Staircase' is almost a spiritual successor to 'Chaos and Creation in Abbey Road', with the stories interspersed with songs. Only this time, we're getting band performances rather than Paul's one-man band.

I'm not happy with how frustrating the free experience of Spotify has become. I was one of the early adopters of Spotify in the UK in 2010 or thereabouts. I was a Premium subscriber before Apple Music released.

I preferred the daily limit of music, with adverts, rather than the 'we force you to shuffle everything and add in random related songs' experience.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  6. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Ram
    Chaos and Creation
    Band on the Run
    Red Rose Speedway
    McCartney II
    Electric Arguments
    Flaming Pie
    Rushes
    Venus & Mars
    Flowers in The Dirt
    Egypt Station
    Tug of War
    McCartney
    Memory Almost Full
    Back to the Egg
    New
    Wild Life
    London Town
    Press to Play
    Speed of Sound
    Driving Rain
    Off The Ground
    Pipes of Peace

7. gponter79

gponter79 Forum Resident

RickH, theMess and Bemagnus like this.
  8. WhispersAndWisecracks

WhispersAndWisecracks Forum Resident

I'd say not a particular number of tracks, but definitely value for money plays into his thinking. I think he's always very focused on the track sequence, and he will leave a great song off an album just because he doesn't think it fits the flow of it.

Totally agree on the mood of "I Don't Know" being perfect for the start of the journey!

theMess and foxylady like this.
  9. WhispersAndWisecracks

WhispersAndWisecracks Forum Resident

If this album ends up selling about 115,000 copies, it probably represents about 40,000 people buying it (or fewer), based on the anecdotes of people here. I've bought four myself (and I have a fifth, due to the replacement of a damaged copy; I wonder if that somehow counts?). :)

Paul H and paulmccartneyistheman like this.
  10. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

11. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Better than the studio version!

12. gponter79

gponter79 Forum Resident

winston32, Elliottmarx and theMess like this.
  13. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

It s a great, great song. Like both versions

14. gponter79

gponter79 Forum Resident

Loving this Under the Staircase film. I was in Abbey Road last month and this is just bringing back awesome memories. (lots more pics if you check my instagram: @gponter79 )

Go'ed Macca!!!!

[​IMG]

15. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

I watched the Grand Central Station concert again tonight. Really enjoyable performance by Macca and the Band.

16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Don't usually see Paul McCartney albums in charity shops. Can't see Egypt Station turning anytime soon.

17. Darny

Darny Forum Resident

18. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

Egypt Station is #4 in Fnac stores (France)

19. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Happy with you now 1,5 million streams on Spotify -Third most streamed Macca song at the moment . Only Band on the Run and four five seconds topping
    By the way Fuh you is nr 4 and.....
    believe it or not
    Back in Brazil nr 5 with 1,2 million streams
    Given the 6 million some for Come on to me and I don t know the more recent Macca albums are not even close when it comes to streaming after one week
    Egyot Station is popular even outside of here
    Lo and behold
    Happy with you has taken Wings
    Egypt Station also as it seems
    :)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    Elliottmarx, JDeanB, linclink and 6 others like this.
  20. jahndhi

jahndhi Forum Resident

Scusi, I was a just a bit lazy (dynamite) with my nomenclature nodding afer an all nighter in the studio. I was referring specifically to the avante garde Macca but ran outta gas. To finish that thought more completely, yes in the 70s he indeed built a new band from the ground up, and from 1970 to the mid 90s explored whatever genre he fancied, as his wildly free musical mind is wont to do. But that was mostly mainstream music (much of McCartney II aside). It wasn’t until the mid 90s that those mid-60s influences and ideas fully reemerged, and he delivered several ambient & electronica projects over a 6 year period. Now he’s come full circle. His last three main release pop records are arguably more varied and experimental than those preceding it. We get tracks like Appreciate, Road, Caesar Rock and the music-as-a-play pop art brilliance that is Mr. Bellamy casually sitting next to more standard fare. During the 80s and 90s he was a fairly serious painter and that probably fulfilled his more abstract tendencies during that period. I’m not saying I like all of this side of Macca’s expression, but just pointing out how he's more in sync the initial 'tape loop days' and perhaps a little freer now to express. He’s always been creative and forward thinking / moving in whatever area he's working in -- lucky us!

PS: regarding the piano ballads, that was flippant — there is melodic variety there and per usual, some nice melodic ideas. For me, there is a sameness, and a few feel unfinished - just not a vibe I return to. I think they’re lacking the variety of accompanying instruments or melodic counterpoint - like the lead break in My Love and the intertwining melodies of Wanderlust, or the urgency of Maybe I’m Amazed. But what do I know, he could probably bundle the tunes below and sell them on late night tv or PBS and probably do quite well with it!

From a Lover to a Friend
    Your Loving Flame
    This Never Happened Before
    Anyway
    (I Want To) Come Home
    I Don’t Know

streetlegal, Mr. Explorer and theMess like this.
  21. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I’ve got a feeling from the Abbey road gig. Recommended listening from those who have counted Paul’s vocals out. He s on fuhing fire there
    :)

22. Nems

Nems Forum Resident

Maybe Paul should consider issuing "Nothing For Free" as a new single? Could be a chance at airplay and his first #1 single since 1983.

23. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

He has taken a chance much lesser songs! Hope someone at MPL reads this forum!

24. Fab Four Revolution

Fab Four Revolution Forum Resident

Went back a couple pages and didn't see anyone post this, but apologies if I missed it or am repeating someone.

So turns out the whole concert has been posted on Spotify to a playlist... one that doesn't show up on Paul's profile oddly enough (though a couple of videos were posted to his 'This is Paul McCartney' playlist which IS on his profile). I guess countries that have a 'video' section on Spotify might see it more clearly? I dunno, but I digress.

Anyway - you can watch the concert here: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1DWVvMxmMKHa4i

25. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

If one take notice on what s happening on Spotify right now Happy with you would be an obvious single

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.