Paul McCartney - Egypt Station appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Sep 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. When will we get to buy the anti-concertina version?

2. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

This might satisfy your needs:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
  3. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

Using rough calculations and very limited knowledge provided by the internet, it seems anywhere between 570 to 1500 NES cartridges would be required to hold all of the audio for Egypt Station. Talk about a box set! :link:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
  4. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

Nice! I hope Koji Kondo did the 50th anniversary remix. ;)

5. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

I'm not quite sure if "Off The Ground" was #1 in Germany in 1993 - probably, because of the massive success of "Hope Of Deliverance". Otherwise "Tug Of War" definitely was #1 in 1982 (!)

Arnold Grove and theMess like this.
  6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

My Dragon told me to order the cassette so I obeyed.

Christobal, JDeanB and vinylbeat like this.
  7. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Yep. Have been listening to a Paul in the 70s playlist I've had on my mp3 player each day to and from work. Way cool! That said, I'm still enjoying the two bonus tracks.

Frank likes this.
  8. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

But you found it bland and boring after first listening -right
    :)

9. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

10. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

:laughup::laughup::laughup::laughup::laughup::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

11. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

For those down under is it an "Elastic Oz Band"? :hide:

12. scoostraw

scoostraw Forum President

I'm doing my part guys. A friend of mine just told me:

"Got to listening to Egypt Station, really good record . Would not have given it any attention if it was not for you letting me hear "I don"t Know"weeks ago."

13. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Never found his stuff from 1970 to 1997 bland and boring (save a few dismal tracks along the way).

But for ES, second listen actually. I found I liked a few of the songs less and put it down to unusual initial exuberance on my part. First listen was on Spotify, sitting at my computer. Second listen was the CD on the stereo. Stuff didn't hang as much. I still like Who Cares and Dominoes but not so much more.

That said, I still find more to like about it than New. It's great that he's still out there making music, I just think I've moved away from him more and more. Funnily enough, I went out to dinner tonight with a dozen old work friends of more than 25 years for the first time in six years. We'd all changed, lost contact, kids have grown up, retirements, health issues and we'd lost one to cancer recently. It was great to catch up again but driving home with my wife we both starting talking about our own mortality and where we've come from in the last 38 years. That's life. To quote the man "in the blink of an eye".

The Band, angelees, Zeki and 2 others like this.

14. I suggest approaching this like having a famous friend and his band playing at your local pub - NOT as a definitive live version of some of your most favorite songs.

15. foxylady

foxylady Forum Resident

According to several news:
    First #1 since Tug of War.

16. Nothing4Free

Nothing4Free Forum Resident

So no "loudspeaker" on My Valentine at Abbey Road ;-)
    Interesting that you can skip all the tracks you want on Spotify for once ;-)

Ringo Hendrix likes this.
  17. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

I did but it went to spam.

scoostraw likes this.
  18. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I think the so called mainstream music that McCartney has made is absolutely full of experimentation, new ideas, risk taking because he was working to achieve a new sound, especially in the beginning!

Those ballads you posted, none of them sound anything alike to me, but Your Loving Flame, This Never Happened Before and Anyway are some of his absolute best.
    My female friends think they are great.

19. Nothing4Free

Nothing4Free Forum Resident

Hum, can you watch videos on Spotify on a desktop ? Can't see any for "Under the Staircase" ?

20. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

Is anyone still waiting on the Spotify green vinyl? I contacted the pm store and just got email today saying they are awaiting their shipment still and yet I see many people have got theirs already.

21. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

Haha. "Your cassette order is confirmed" is likely a red flag for many spam filters in this day and age. ;) Probably thinks it's one of those bonkers spam emails that doesn't make any sense.

jmxw, Mr. Explorer, theMess and 4 others like this.
  22. scoostraw

scoostraw Forum President

Thanks. Nothing in my spam folder though either..

I emailed them.

Wiserforthetime likes this.
  23. Dr. Pepper

What I don't get is that to me it sounds like Paul trying to be current just like "Fuh You," now I don't have a problem with either track, but I have a little trouble grasping how folks can have a problem with "Fuh You," for it's modern production techniques, but be alright with "Nothing For Free," which to my ears is very similar in production. I mean come on, if you heard all of the tracks and were asked which two were Tedders, every person on this forum would be able to point to those two tracks they are like fraternal twins in production techniques.

24. Italy: Egypt Station #5 and #4 in only vinyl sales... disappointing...

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  25. Dr. Pepper

I watched the video,, and I'm normally a little tired of hearing Paul live do the same tunes especially with his voice often having issues, but this performance is fantastic! The first track unfortunately is Hard Days Night, which to should be re-titled Hard to Sing Well! Paul struggles with that track, but from that point onward Paul sounds the best I've heard him in years. The four new songs are wonderfully performed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.