$80 Million Record-Breaking painting at Christie's

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Yesternow, Sep 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident Thread Starter

"David Hockney's Portrait of an Artist (Pool with Two Figures) is coming to auction at Christie's New York and set to become the most expensive work by a living artist ever sold. The monumental 84-x-120-inch canvas is expected to fetch $80 million at the auction house this November as part of the Post War and Contemporary Art Evening Sale"

[​IMG]

My first thought was:
    "80 million for a painting of Jon Bon Jovi :) looking at a pool ?!?! The world has gone mad."

But to tell you the truth it really caught my attention. It is fascinating. But 80 million????

Your thoughts on the artist, painting... and value.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  2. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident Thread Starter

Not related but it reminded me of the "Pink Floyd - Wish you were here" artwork.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Saintbert likes this.
  3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I have Trapper Keepers from the 80's with more artistry than that thing.

4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I can't help but think that there's something desperately wrong with a society where pieces of canvas covered with colored oils are being sold for 80 million dollars.

Vidiot and wayneklein like this.
  5. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

At least you can tell what it is. Here is a lithographed POSTER from a Mark Rothko exhibition held at MOMA in NYC in the 1990's. Who knows how many of these paper reproductions were printed. Acccording to the gallery's website, this poster is used, with some visible wear, and they are now selling it for $1,895. During the exhibition, these probably sold in the museum shop for around $25. I appreciate art, but I don't "get" Rothko.
    [​IMG]

6. Chris DeVoe

This is why music and movies are my preferred art forms; I don't generally have to travel far experience it, the costs are usually quite reasonable, and almost nobody can have a better experience of it than I will even if they pay more.

7. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

You never go to a museum?

8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Not familiar with Hockney. His backgrounds here remind me a little of Rousseau, but his style otherwise is very interesting.
    He seems to be like a realist who is pushing the borders toward impressionism

9. Chris DeVoe

I go to museums, but not art galleries.

Michael and ralphb like this.
  10. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Sold to Mr. Geffen!

TeacFan, Vidiot and forthlin like this.
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I see it as the wealthy just investing their money as it will never go down in value, but I agree there are many other ways to waste or spend ( for good) 80 million dollars...and this is so far above my pay grade. : )

lightbulb likes this.
  12. Michael

yea, and?

13. Michael

me too when I lived in the city I loved going to the fine Museums there...beautiful...art galleries? No, as well...

ralphb and Chris DeVoe like this.
  14. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

You don't have to pay $80 million to view this painting, any more than you have to pay the Rolling Stones $10 million to perform live every time you want to hear STICKY FINGERS. See, they have these things called art galleries, poster reproductions, books, iPads . . .

It's an investment. Its scarcity is its guarantee, much like waterfront property or precious metals.

lightbulb likes this.
  15. Michael

I recognized the painting immediately, but I can't realize the price!
    excellent painting!

Yesternow likes this.
  16. Chris DeVoe

But if you want to see the real thing, you either have to travel to the gallery that owns it, or hope the person or corporation that owns it sends it on tour. With a film or record, with very few exceptions, one copy is as good as another. They are the most egalitarian art forms.

lightbulb likes this.
  17. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I'll take two........:pineapple:

18. It looks like Andy Gibb getting pissed at Barry Gibb for making him wait for his swim to be done before they head out.

wayneklein, lightbulb and Chris DeVoe like this.
  19. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

The idea of spending $80M for a painting is so outrageous to most people because that level of disposable income is impossible to even comprehend.
    I think that monetary wealth, beyond a reasonable level of comfort, and material things, do not matter in the long run. We all end up in the same place, just ask Steve Jobs.

MikeInFla and wayneklein like this.
  20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Its all relative.

Now about that $225.00 you just spent on that super deluxe 12 cd set....

ralphb likes this.
  21. Chris DeVoe

Yeah, he didn't even get to sail on his breathtakingly ugly yacht, a ship that somehow makes a WWII landing craft look beautiful by comparison.

[​IMG]

MikeInFla, Brian Mc and Strat-Mangler like this.
  22. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

My thoughts?

The price estimate? I love it!!!! I hope it goes for lots more. Then I hope we get to see the fire sale price two years from now, assuming it can be sold at all.

The painting itself? At first my thoughts were similar to yours -- kinda thought this could be a final project for a night extension class in painting.

But, the longer I look, the more compelling it seems. Maybe it's the movies I've been watching lately, but I can't help but wonder what the guy standing is thinking. What's he going to do? He seems to be considering the swimmer. But how? With affection? With pathological contempt? Is he considering forcing the swimmer's head underwater? Or maybe he's about to tell the swimmer, "will you please, please stop wearing my shorts. I don't like it." Or is the guy standing an executive assistant waiting for the boss to come up so he can tell him there's a call from his senior accountant?

Total mystery.

Not $80 million's worth, but still.

I'm no art connoisseur -- clearly -- but the slip-ons are a deal-breaker for me. They're light brown. They appear to have some kind of decorative metallic appliqué.

No way.

PS: I believe I may have been terribly mistaken. Upon second and third looks, I now do not think that is a decorative metallic appliqué but rather a light reflection.

wayneklein likes this.
  23. Michael

Indeed...

24. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

It is at that.

In this example, the collector finds he doesn't like the nationality of the (presumed) painter, but does recognise the rendering contains "an excellent nose":

25. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

To me, $80 million is as random and abstract a figure as:
    $8,000,000
    $ 800,000
    $ 80,000

I guess I could scrape up
    $ 8,000

Obviously, the amounts are for those who have excess expendable cash, just sitting around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.