Reissued Australian LPs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by paolo, Jan 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paolo

paolo Senior Member Thread Starter

Been trawling the forum to see if there's been much discussion about the encouraging trend for classic Australian albums getting the vinyl reissue treatment.

Don Bartley (let's not bring his CD mastering into this) is a very experienced vinyl cutting engineer who did a lot of Maxicut stuff at EMI after being chief cutter at RCA Australia. He knows his stuff vinyl-wise and has done the recent Cold Chisel and Australian Crawl box sets. While he didn't do the actual cutting of these, he supervised them and approved the test pressings.

I just picked up a couple of Australian Crawl albums and have been rather pleased. EMI Australia (Universal) has done a good job on the packaging of Sirocco, even replicating the correct EMI green and gold label. Sons of Beaches is also good but the label isn't correct. Can't tell where these were pressed but the machine coded dead wax info looks like GZ, same as the Cold Chisel sets. Nice clean pressings though. And yes, they are all digitally sourced. The analogue masters aren't in great shape apparently.

I've also just seen a new version of Men At Work's Business As Usual with the cover proclaiming a new mastering by Peter McIan. Wrong cover though. Its the yellow one, not the original Aussie white.

These are small steps, but encouraging ones for fans of Aussie music. Didn't think I'd ever be listening to a new version of Sons of Beaches! A Hoodoo Gurus reissue campaign can't be far behind. I'd love to be able to ditch the ear bleedingly loud Ampology CD.

Couple all of this with things like this compilation:

Back On The Street Again: Australian Funk, Soul & Psych (Mostly) From The Festival Vaults (Vinyl) »

and things are looking up for the local vinyl reissue scene.

Anyone else seen anything interesting?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    iloveguitars and blutiga like this.
  2. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

Not found anything interesting but certainly keeping an eye on things from afar. Was tempted by the Aussie Crawl box set but talked myself out of it as there would have been too much duplication and I had doubts over the SQ. Here's hoping its all up from here!

paolo likes this.
  3. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

The Drones reissued some of their catalogue last year. The couple I own sound excellent. I'm referring to vinyl.

Turntable likes this.
  4. tas

tas Forum Resident

Picked up James Reyne.
    Mostly ok sound quality but I had to send the first one back due to a skip, even with the replacement the vinyl is super static. I have never seen something that is such a dust attracter.

5. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Midnight Oil box set on vinyl - to be released May 05.

6. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Someone should reissue The Hoodoo Gurus-Stoneage Romeos and Mars Needs Guitars! On lp

paolo and Maccaroni like this.
  7. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

8. mightyquinn61

mightyquinn61 Forum Resident

I hope someone is looking after all the original tapes. Australian rock in the 1970s and 80s was fantastic. It would be tragic if the tapes were beyond hope.

Beatleboy1968 and paolo like this.
  9. mkhannah

mkhannah Forum Resident

10. PJC68

PJC68 Forum Resident

The Go betweens are a good Oz band
    This was a good un from the late Grant Mclennan

11. iloveguitars

iloveguitars Forum Resident

I’ve picked up all the reissued Cold Chisel albums they are great sounding clean pressings.
    The Hoodoo Gurus reissues I’ve pick up so far are flawless.
    The reissued Paul Kelly albums sound great but I’ve experienced issues with the pressing quality, sadly hit and miss with obvious handling issues at the pressing plant.

12. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Don't hold your breath for any useful forsight.

Hoodoo Gurus vinyl reissue campaign is from the digital copies done a while ago for example.

paolo likes this.
  13. mightyquinn61

I would love to own collections of the following:
    Midnight Oil, Cold Chisel, INXS, Australian Crawl, Mondo Rock, Split Enz, Paul Kelly, AC/DC, The Saints, The Go-Betweens, Goanna

paolo likes this.
  14. mightyquinn61

I left out The Easybeats, The Bee Gees, The Church, Icehouse, The Angels and Little River Band.

15. old45s

old45s MP3 FREE ZONE

Would love to see a reissue of the two albums S. C. R. A. had in the early 70's.
    (Southern Contemporary Rock Assembly). Self titled album and Ship Album.

16. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

I picked up Don Bartley’s The Best of The Easybeats + Pretty Girl. Nice sounding indeed. Although be aware that the UK tracks are not the original mono mixes used on the 1967 LP but narrowed Stereo remixes from the 1980’s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.