Fender American Professional Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by William Bush, Sep 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. William Bush

William Bush Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi,
    This year I’ve been saving for a new guitar and the one that caught my eye as best value is the American Professional Strat.
    What are your thoughts on this guitar regarding quality, sound, finish and the pick ups.
    Thanks,
    William.

2. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

All of know is that fender has introduced a new guitar model needlessly...

JuanTCB likes this.
  3. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

You're really going to have to check one out in person and play it to see if it's right for you or you think it's a good value. I was lucky in the past that I was able to take several home with me (one at a time) and really live with it for a week or so. I definitely realize not many shops are going to let you do this - so try to give each one a good work out in the store with an amp that's really close you what you have - or hell, bring your amp with you.

William Bush likes this.
  4. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

I think it's just a marketing gimmick- the fender strat USA pre 2017 is all you need

5. Ron Jones

Ron Jones Happiness is a Warm Gun

I have an elite strat and an American pro tele and both are great guitars. I would definitely listen and play one first. The pro pickups are a little unique and not exactly classic fender. They are great but not exactly the same that you may be used too.

6. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Find a store with a big selection of Strats and play one until you find one that speaks to you. Might take a few tries, but it will happen. I wouldn't worry too much about the Strats (or Teles) priced in the $500$900 range. Many sweet guitars in that range waiting for a home....good luck!

Panama Hotel likes this.
  7. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

Have owned several strats over the years, retain a late 70s and a CS model. Each one was so different than the others that I have to concur with the advice to try for yourself in a store. Much depends on what you look for in a guitar (for me, weight, feel and acoustic response seem to matter more than a p'up config etc) but it took me years to know what I really liked to play. I can't keep up with the various Strat models now available but I have no doubt that the US made current versions are very decent guitars. I just checked the listings at the Fender site and these Professional Series models seem to go for $1400 or so here, not sure the pricing where you are....while I am sure you'd find one you like, at that price you are entering a very competitive used market where you might find a real gem. If you're wed to the strat look and feel, that's one thing that limits your options but even then, I've played G&L models that were fantastic.

8. telecode101

telecode101 Forum Resident

It all depends which one. They make different ones with different pick up combos. It really depends what kind of music you like to play. The only thing I can tell you about the new Fender products is you want to try them out. The brand name and US or Mexican make isn't enough. They usually feel and sound very different. Quite a few made in the Mexican factory have been known to outdo the US factory. So try them out and see which one. You also want to try out the C neck vs other necks. They sometimes feel very different.

9. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

3 things:

1- Why on earth they CAN'T (OR THEY DO NOT WANT TO) make 12" radius?. G&L guitars are way more comfortable

2- Why on earth they CAN'T (OR THEY DO NOT WANT TO) make NATURAL finish AND rosewood neck?

3- Are these noisy pickups? (like most Fender's). Don't know why they don't make quality pickups a la Kinman, Lindy Fralin, Rose, etc

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

11. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Mexican Strat’s are hit and miss. I did a lot of thinking and mulling over for a long time and finally just broke down bought the Mexican Strat and was not happy with it. Then bought the USA and could tell a difference instantly. I think within the USA strat you get quality every time. Mexicans are hit and miss

Michael likes this.
  12. Michael

I agree, but the Strat I'm referring to is made with US parts...did you read the article.

13. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

A bit confusing but uf you have one you like then there's no argument. All I'm saying is that if yo want a good thing guaranteed then go with a USA strat any year

Michael likes this.
  14. Michael

Absolutely my friend. : )

jwb1231970 likes this.
  15. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

I settled for the color I liked - sonic blue with rosewood neck American Special

16. Michael

can't pull up the image?

bzfgt likes this.
  17. ChrisScooter1

ChrisScooter1 Forum Resident

Looks like a nice, well built, slightly upgraded USA Strat. Fender decided to takes few cues from what boutique Strat builders have been doing for years. That USA standard Fender’s been doing since the mid 80’s was due for some tweaks.

18. varispeed

varispeed what if?

As long as you ignore 1977.

19. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Fender has moved away from rosewood because of new restrictions on the import and export of that material. The restrictions came into effect in January 2017.

It is now a huge pain to import even a single guitar with a rosewood fingerboard legitimately. Do not be surprised when all of the major guitar manufacturers abandon the use of this wood completely. It is already happening.

Ebony is better anyway btw. But I see no reason to believe that Indian laurel or pao ferro are inferior to rosewood as a fingerboard material or even noticeably different.

20. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I play bass, so I am not sure if this relates because I haven’t played the six string.
    I recently purchased a Fender American Professional Elite Precision Bass.
    It is outstanding.
    It has a compound neck, which I love...
    The pickups are top notch.

21. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

Honestly... there are so many good quality used Stratocasters of every conceivable model... if you live near a large metro area, I would highly suggest you go play as many as possible... then figure out WHY you like that model (shape of neck/ease of playing, color, pickups, etc....)

and then go look for a used model, perhaps online

22. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

in the first place, "better" is subjective. I dislike ebony, its a much harder wood, and rosewood is softer. Do a gig for three hours on an ebony fretboard and you may well end up with very sore fingertips. Perhaps not. I certainly did.

secondly, I do agree with your above premise.... but for now, you can still indeed get necks with rosewood boards, I just got two from allparts and one from warmoth. They dont look like they did in the old days...

before, you got a rosewood neck and the color and grain was more or less consistent all along the board. Not now. Its almost like they're piecing the boards together from various tiny slabs of wood or something like that. I'm not sure of the process but it leads me to believe that something has happened recently to either the supply, or the manufacturing process of rosewood boards.

23. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

1. The Eric Johnson Strat has a 12" radius. That's the neck I use on my Strat.

2. There are restrictions on rosewood now (CITES) that make it nearly impossible to export anything made with that wood.

3. Fender offers noiseless pickups. They aren't the best, but they are pretty good. Single coil pickups will buzz no matter what. Stacked humbuckers, mini humbuckers, or rail type pickups are the only way to get rid of that noise.

24. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Good luck traveling outside the country with those rosewood necks. You may never see your instruments again as they will likely be confiscated unless you have a pile of paperwork that's required.

25. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

To you.

They have quiet pickups called Noiseless and have had for years and years. Before that, they had the Lace Sensors which were again quiet.

I had Kinmans and didn't think they were anything special. Overpriced for what they are and there's definitely some magic lost in contrast to regular pickups like the Fender '54s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.