'Bojack Horseman' New Series on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by profholt82, Aug 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

File this under brush with fame. My now retired teacher wife had Bob Waksberg (the creator of BJH) in her class one year. High school. He was a friggin' handful, but clearly bright. Went by the name "Raisin" back then. It was as if the walls of the classroom agitated him and he had to be set free. So happy he has found his calling.

Vidiot likes this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Halfway through the show now and I'm lovin' it. Man, this is a mean, dark, nasty, depressing show.

I love the fake-'90s TV show open...

It's like every bad Miller-Milkis TV show ever made. The fake "generic decade" songs they throw in during the flashbacks are hilarious, too. "Now it's the '80s!"

3. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

This sequence made me laugh uncontrollably for about five minutes:

[​IMG]

4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Season 5 is out and it hasn't missed a beat. It's still funny, insightful, smart and sad.

The show usually has an especially outstanding, tour de force episode and while I've only seen 7 eps so far, I think that episode this season might be ep 6, which is basically a single monologue! Brilliant stuff.

5. George P

George P Notable Member

Still watching through Season 5. Really enjoying it.

“Wow. And my mother said I’d never last as long as Hung. Well, who’s hung now, Mom?!”

:laugh:

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Just watched that last night, and it was amazing. I just had to do a eulogy for an old friend of mine that died a couple of months ago, and I'm just glad I hadn't seen the BoJack episode first.

I just watched the Horsin' Around open, and I laugh every time they do that line, "laughin' and lovin', and lovin' a lot..." Jesus, that is so "80s."

Leviethan likes this.
  7. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Seasons 1 & 2 BluRay set out now. Commentary tracks on every episode!

8. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I really hope someone in the commentary tracks explains why, whenever they show BoJack watching old 'Horsin' Around' episodes, they're always widescreen. Shouldn't a 90s kid-friendly sitcom be 1.33:1? :wtf:

But please buy this. If enough people don't, seasons 3+4 will only come out on DVD and then seasons 5+6 will only come out as burn-on-demand DVDRs that stop working a year after I buy them and then seasons 7 won't be available at all.

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Here ya go in 4x3 (which replaces the broken link above):

There are many 1980s and 1990s sitcoms that are being "repurposed" for 16x9 these days; the ones shot after 1993 were often shot on 3-perf 35mm negative, which means there's enough image area to make the transition to 16x9 without any loss. And then again, there's Seinfeld, which was shot entirely in 4-perf, but they "tilt & scanned" it anyway to 16x9, cutting off the actors at the knees... and yet it's still funny. And in fact, the Seinfeld streaming rights just sold for $500,000,000 to Netflix this week, so apparently the show is still very valuable.

I think modern filmmakers and TV showrunners are forgetting how to frame material in 4x3, because it's now such an antiquated aspect ratio.

93curr likes this.
  10. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

And the sixth season is gonna be its last. :cry: The first six episodes will upload on Oct 25 and the final six episodes will upload sometime early 2020. No clear word yet on whether it will have an official finale or if the show was cancelled and they'll just leave it on a cliffhanger.

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

12. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Goddamn it Netflix, you suck!

13. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

14. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

Yeah, this is a show with an arc in which it needs to find a sense of finality and end before such a finale loses any sense of impact from BoJack getting a bit better and then messing it up again repeatedly, there’s only so many times you can do that before the audience stops caring and without a troubled BoJack there’s really no show. I’ll miss it but it feels about the right time.
    I wish Tuca & Bertie didn’t get canned as well, but Undone on Amazon, created and largely written by Bob-Waksberg and Kate Purdy (who wrote many BoJack episodes), which premiered a couple weeks ago is pretty interesting too

93curr and Vidiot like this.
  15. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

16. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Final trailer. Jan 31...

Edgard Varese, Vidiot and George P like this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Hey! Now we know Bojack's home address!

[​IMG]

Can't wait to see the final episodes.

George P likes this.
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Don't tell me you don't know!

I worked late tonight and let the shows run in the background. Jesus, what a wrenching experience. Take my advice: don't try to watch the last batch of Bojack episodes at one time. It does come to a definitive end, and it answers many questions about the deaths of certain major characters and the fates of others. And it works in some interesting references to All That Jazz and quite a few other bits of pop culture.

And we also have closure on the Hollywoo sign!

[​IMG]

Leviethan likes this.
  19. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I will offer one <non-spoiler> criticism of the Bojack finale: I think the penultimate episode is where the show should have ended, because it's absolutely spectacular and takes you to a very realistic conclusion that makes sense. But there is a final wrap-up episode after that that is much more conventional and down-to-earth, and it sort of "over-explains" a lot of characters and plot issues that I don't think were necessary. For those who are following, watch the last two shows and see if you agree with me.

But it would have taken a lot more courage to end it the way I wanted. And it would've been very dark and downbeat and depressing, which I think would have freaked a lot of people out.

21. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I'm just happy we finally got the reveal that 'Horsin Around' was eventually released on BluRay!

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
  22. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Personally, I liked the first few seasons because it was funny. I didn’t care for the dark depressing way it went the last few seasons. The world of animals and humans is very clever and I enjoyed it overall though!

23. cjh

cjh Forum Resident

Just watched the finale. I cried.

Spending 6 years with a show and having it end satisfyingly is rare!

24. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I disagree. As it is the last episodes are seriously heavy. It’s really not any less downbeat or depressing because the viewer has to experience it all anyway.

25. I just started watching this, so I'm only on Season 2, but what a top-notch program. There's at least one laugh out loud moment per episode.

It's really weird to get over the different animals having sex with one another. Owls having sex horses, horses having sex with monkeys, all of them having sex with humans. What a twisted world! I like it. :righton:

George P likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.