Stephen King's Mr Mercedes on the Audience Network

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Madness, Aug 20, 2017.

1. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

Doesn't seem like a moot point all from an investigative stand point.

2. Beatmusicfan

Beatmusicfan Forum Resident

Once Hodges learned that the key fob signal could be stolen and replicated, he realized that he was wrong about the Mercedes owner.

3. johnaltman

johnaltman Forum Resident

Reading the book now.. they kept it pretty close, only minor differences I notice so far (I'm about halfway through):
    -There is no mention of Bill being Irish
    -Brady's friend at the Electronics store has a different name (Lou in the show is Freddie in the book), and her physical description doesn't match how she looked in the show; she and his boss both seem to have much smaller roles in the book.
    -The tortoise isn't in the book (a real shame :p)
    -Bill's neighbor (Holland Taylor) has no significant role

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  4. johnaltman

Anyone else read the series? I'm now on the second one Finders Keepers. almost halfway through and Bill is yet to make an appearance..? I ended up googling to make sure I had the right book lol. Hope it doesn't continue this way, but maybe he's just a minor character in this one..

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Recent reports on Season 2 indicate it is being adapted from both Finders Keepers *and* End of Watch, so the folks developing it may have come to the same conclusion that you did. :)

drum_cas and Vidiot like this.
  6. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Got a free week of DirecTV NOW, and was finally able to binge-watch season 1. I thought it was a pretty good adaptation, and my wife who never read the books enjoyed it, too.

I'll wait a few months until season 2 is done, and do the same thing. As a Dish Network guy, the Audience Network isn't even remotely on my radar, nor within my viewing options. Shame, really.

7. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Might want to chk out Kingdom and Ice!

8. johnaltman

Trailer out for season 2, looks good.. I see nothing in it relating to the second book which is fine with me

9. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I actually liked the second book quite a bit, but completely understand why they'd skip it. It would make the show seem like an anthology series (i.e., True Detective).

10. johnaltman

I mean it's not bad, it just seems like a tangent from the real story

11. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

It’s on Super Channel in Canada. All of season 1 is there. I just added it for $18/month to watch this and a few other shows you can’t see anywhere else.

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I was horrified at the massive change to the ending.

In the book, the serial killer is going to set off a bomb at a huge boyband pop concert at an arena with about 20,000 fans in it. In the (very cheap) TV show, instead it all happens at what is basically a city council pottery fair, with about 200 people there.

The change was horribly cheap and stupid, and they should've found a way to make it work. They did handle the death of <a certain character in the kitchen> very well, and that was pretty damned close to the book.

I'm reading a new sequel now, The Outsider, which at least involves Holly Gibney, and while it's overly-long, it's got some weird and unexpected twists that keep me intrigued. It'll be very, very hard to film for TV because of the subject matter.

johnaltman likes this.
  13. johnaltman

I'm glad you mentioned this, I hadn't heard of it. I had hoped he might continue with her character after the Mercedes series but never thought he actually would.

Though it's otherwise unrelated to the series that the show is based on... do you have any reason to believe it would be filmed for tv?

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's a really, really grim serial killer story, but if they chopped it up and avoided showing what happens to the initial victim, it could be done.

15. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Season 2 starts tonight.

16. Chris from Chicago

I was under the impression season 2 was going to focus on book 2 and 3.

I guess I can see why it's going to skip the primary story from the second book. Hodges doesn't appear in that until half way through.

But the pilot and the plane guy are from Finders Keepers, right?

Anyway... dark start. Some likable characters. Some really not likable at all.

17. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Brendan Gleeson's a treasure! Whether he's taking rocks to his head (Braveheart) or an axe in the back (Gangs of NY), the Irishman's work always is intelligent and has heart. I so enjoy the lilt of his brogue, his Irish accent is a plus, in ALL his roles. During the episode, his ex asks him "how's it feel to be so Irish?", and he sez; "it's complicated". Made me laugh out loud!;) I've read elsewhere that some feel the episode was slow, I disagree, they're just laying the groundwork in a show that's always been as much about character study as it is about the Stephen King "stuff"!

stuwee and Chris from Chicago like this.
  18. Chris from Chicago

Is it me... or has the creepy factor been multiplied by about a thousand this season?

19. Chris from Chicago

The show is doing a poor job of explaining how Brady is getting in people's heads for the mind control. But it looks like they'll touch on that next week.

Don't mind that they're deviating from the book with Nancy Travis (always had a crush)

Love the classic SK character development when Bill feels like he's going after poor people (and makes a compelling argument) but Holly snaps back saying she's an equal partner and she should be treated as such. It's a real conversation the way people actually talk. And it made Holly seem less cardboardish.

Overall... dark, thrilling and suspenseful.

20. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Wish I could watch it.

21. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Ten times better than `Castle Rock'......in my opinion. The actor who plays Holly absolutely
    nails that character.

misterbozz likes this.
  22. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

Nothing could keep me from watching season II, I love it! IMHO, some of the best TV out there. Holly's character is awesome, she is really getting om my nerves in the last 2 episodes though...a sign of a great actress!

Creep factor is off the chain, Kudos!! Glad I paid extra for the Audience channel, worth every penny just for this show, the other concerts they show have hipped me to some music I might never have heard before.

I haven't read the other books this season is based on and don't care to, the story, plot, visuals and acting are sooo 1st rate. Wednesday is my favorite TV night now!! And AHS on FX this week makes me get out the munchies and beverages and put on my onesie :pineapple:, double the fun!!

Now if Pennywise could just drive up in a '58 Plymouth Fury and do something really disturbing to Holly :evil:!!!!

23. Chris from Chicago

Love the way they show what's going on in Brady's head.

Is the a-hole cop in the book? I don't remember him.

Hodges didn't have to share a damn thing with him. The guy should be a little more respectful. I wouldn't have given him a thing if he comes to my house and talks to me like that.

24. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Amazing how 3 little words completely upped the intensity level, "I KNEW IT"!;)

stuwee and Chris from Chicago like this.
  25. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

Bumping this, I have a question for ya'll after re watching it again...

Why did Al rip the head off the teddy bear at the shrine?

And :edthumbs: on his '66 Chevelle with the 327 and dual exhaust, you gotta love that sound it makes :uhhuh:!! King is a car guy :tiphat:

Jerome is going to play a big role soon, I can't wait for this Wednesday's show :-popcorn: