Moody Blues In search of the lost chord 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by t-man 54, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t-man 54

t-man 54 Forum Resident Thread Starter

This July will be the 50th anniversary of this monumental album. Has anybody heard about any
    new vinyl or deluxe box sets to be released to concide with the 50th ? So far, i haven't found any news.

2. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Nope.

The only MB album I really like.

Fender Relic and GLENN like this.
  3. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Unless they suddenly found the multitracks to do a surround mix, not sure what they'd have to release. And they must have been lost since the 60's, since this was the only album of the core 7 that didn't get a Quad release in the 70's.

tug_of_war likes this.
  4. chrismiah

chrismiah Member

I have heard of being nothing being planned either in the UK/US. I think Justin be pursuing his solo career in Europe and else .
    The UK fans are still waiting from perform ,futurepassed so they out a huge 17 set of CD/DVD only a few years ago, then Polydor had slice and issued a couple of years ,there album post The present era, and it became a hell a job trying to convice you that really have bought albums. Still flogging it at various low prices, that include blue 7" single of i Know not.

5. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

DOFP was a much bigger album to the world at large, and the 50th anniversary edition of that was nothing particularly lavish - basically an adaptation of the 2006-ish expanded reissue, plus a restored original mix. Worth having, but nothing that led me to believe a comprehensive anniversary series was in store.

6. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

The 2 cd deluxe set covered most of the material from that period (except oddly enough “Gimme Little Something”)
    Would not complain if they did something special, but think the bases were already covered with 2 cd set.

7solqs4iago likes this.
  7. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

this album so needs a surround mix. For the multis, is there definitive word on their unavailability?

8. Bill

Bill Senior Member

After enjoying DOFP, and knowing of its delays with Procol Harum and Cat Stevens releases here how clueless US London/Deram was, I mail ordered the British version of Chord upon its release. I know this is heresy to many here, but I find it vastly superior to its heralded predecessor, which I consider to be 50% decent music grafted to supermarket pablum. Particularly after enjoying the advance single of Nights in White Satin, I had recoiled in horror hearing the drummer's "cold hearted orb" intro and orchestral pretensions on the elpee. Still do.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    NumberEight likes this.
  9. SJB

If they never did a quad mix when they made them for all the other albums, I have to suspect they're long gone.

10. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

as they were done circa '72 many things could have happened since, like location of the multis. ...wishful thinking perhaps but stranger things have happened.

7solqs4iago likes this.
  11. bmusic

bmusic Forum Resident

Polydor is reissuing a number of Moody Blues albums on LP Friday, July 27 with one exception: In Search of a Lost Chord. This is easily my second favorite Moody Blues album (after Days of Future Passed). Anybody know if they plan on reissuing this one, too? To my knowledge, it's only been reissued by Friday Music and I doubt the sound quality's that great.

12. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

It may be because a 50th anniversary deluxe release is coming this fall, and they don't want to confuse the marketplace with two "new" reissues.

13. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Would be nice if a 50th anniversary edition is coming, but as the year is half over, prob. would have heard by now.

14. downer

downer Senior Member

Moody Blues’ ‘In Search Of The Lost Chord’ Gets 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition

The classic third album by the Moody Blues, 1968’s In Search Of The Lost Chord, will be released in a 50th anniversary deluxe edition on 2 November. It will feature bonus and previously unissued material and alternate mixes of this key record in the group’s storied catalogue.

The deluxe edition will comprise a 3CD/2DVD box set with both the original and new stereo mixes of the album. Unreleased material includes a never-before-heard mono version of the Ray Thomas song ‘Legend Of A Mind,’ as well as a live session from influential Radio 1 DJ John Peel’s Top Gear show and another from Afternoon Pop Show. Mono mixes of the related Deram A and B-sides are also included.

The first DVD in the package contains In Search of the Lost Chord in 96kHz/24-bit 5.1 Surround, as a new stereo mix and the original stereo mix. The second, visual, DVD comprises BBC TV’s Colour Me Pop: In Search of the Lost Chord, broadcast on 14 September 1968, two months after the album’s release; Ce Soir On Danse: The Moody Blues, broadcast by ORTF French TV on 13 July that year, and Carte d’Or’ – ORTF French TV, from 29 October 1968. Both of the French broadcasts are previously unreleased.

[​IMG]The set also includes a 76-page book with extensive sleeve notes by its compiler, Mark Powell, as well as a generous selection of rare photos and memorabilia images.

The album is also being released as a standard vinyl 180-gram facsimile of the LP with the original packaging; D2C limited edition psychedelic coloured vinyl with original packaging, exclusively available from the uDiscover store; and as a single CD containing the new stereo mix plus bonus tracks.

In Search of the Lost Chord, based around the concept of the spiritual and philosophical concerns of the psychedelic era, is seen by many Moody Blues devotees as the group’s masterpiece. It featured the much-loved singles ‘Voices In The Sky,’ written by Justin Hayward, and ‘Ride My See-Saw,’ by fellow frontman John Lodge, among compositions by all five members of the band. The album reached No. 5 in the UK and No. 23 in the US.

The 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition of In Search of the Lost Chord is released on 2 November.

3CD / 2DVD BOX SET TRACKLISTING

Disc 1 (CD):

1. Departure – The original stereo mix

2. Ride My See-Saw – The original stereo mix

3. Dr. Livingstone, I Presume – The original stereo mix

4. House of Four Doors – The original stereo mix

5. Legend of a Mind – The original stereo mix

6. House of Four Doors (Part 2) – The original stereo mix

7. Voices in the Sky – The original stereo mix

8. The Best Way to Travel – The original stereo mix

9. Visions of Paradise – The original stereo mix

10. The Actor – The original stereo mix

11. The Word – The original stereo mix

12. Om – The original stereo mix

13. Voices in the Sky (mono)

14. Dr. Livingstone, I Presume (mono)

15. Ride My See Saw (mono) – Previously unreleased on CD

16. A Simple Game

17. Legend of a Mind (mono mix) – Previously unreleased

Disc 2 (CD):

1. Departure – “In Search of the Lost Chord” new stereo mix:

2. Ride My See-Saw – “In Search of the Lost Chord” new stereo mix:

3. Dr. Livingstone, I Presume – “In Search of the Lost Chord” new stereo mix:

4. House of Four Doors – “In Search of the Lost Chord” new stereo mix:

5. Legend of a Mind – “In Search of the Lost Chord” new stereo mix:

6. House of Four Doors (Part 2) – “In Search of the Lost Chord” new stereo mix:

7. Voices in the Sky – “In Search of the Lost Chord” new stereo mix:

8. The Best Way to Travel – “In Search of the Lost Chord” new stereo mix:

9. Visions of Paradise – “In Search of the Lost Chord” new stereo mix:

10. The Actor – “In Search of the Lost Chord” new stereo mix:

11. The Word – “In Search of the Lost Chord” new stereo mix:

12. Om – “In Search of the Lost Chord” new stereo mix:

13. A Simple Game (Justin Hayward Vocal Mix / Remastered 2018)

Disc 3 (CD):

1. Dr. Livingstone, I Presume (BBC Radio One “Top Gear” Session / 1968)

2. Voices in the Sky (BBC Radio One “Top Gear” Session / 1968)

3. The Best Way to Travel (BBC Radio One “Top Gear” Session / 1968)

4. Ride My See-Saw (BBC Radio One “Top Gear” Session / 1968)

5. Tuesday Afternoon (BBC Radio One John Peel “Top Gear” session – 16th July 1968)

6. Departure (alternate mix) – Mixed at Decca Studios, West Hampstead in September 1968

7. The Best way to Travel (additional vocal mix) – Mixed at Decca Studios, West Hampstead in September 1968

8. Legend of a Mind (alternate mix) – Mixed at Decca Studios, West Hampstead in September 1968

9. Visions of Paradise (instrumental mix) – Mixed at Decca Studios, West Hampstead in September 1968

10. The Word (Mellotron mix) – Mixed at Decca Studios, West Hampstead in September 1968

11. Om (extended mix) – Mixed at Decca Studios, West Hampstead in September 1968

12. King and Queen – Mixed at Decca Studios, West Hampstead in September 1968

13. Gimmie a Little Something – Mixed at Decca Studios, West Hampstead in September 1968

14. What Am I Doing Here? (full version) – Mixed at Decca Studios, West Hampstead in September 1968

15. A Simple Game (Justin Hayward vocal version) – Mixed at Decca Studios, West Hampstead in September 1968

Disc 4 (DVD)

“In Search of the Lost Chord” 96 kHz / 24-bit 5.1 Surround, new Stereo mix and re-mastered original stereo mix”

1. Departure –

2. Ride My See-Saw

3. Dr. Livingstone, I Presume

4. House of Four Doors

5. Legend of a Mind

6. House of Four Doors (Part 2)

7. Voices in the Sky

8. The Best Way to Travel

9. Visions of Paradise

10. The Actor

11. The Word

12. Om

Disc 5 (DVD):

1. Departure / Ride My See-Saw – Visual content

2. Dr. Livingstone I Presume – Visual content

3. House of Four Doors – Visual content

4. Voices in the Sky – Visual content

5. The Best Way to Travel – Visual content

6. Visions of Paradise / The Actor – Visual content

7. Om – Visual content

8. Tuesday Afternoon – BBC TV “Colour Me Pop: In Search of the Lost Chord” – 14th September 1968

9. Nights in White Satin – BBC TV “Colour Me Pop: In Search of the Lost Chord” – 14th September 1968

10. Bye Bye Bird – BBC TV “Colour Me Pop: In Search of the Lost Chord” – 14th September 1968

11. Fly Me High – BBC TV “Colour Me Pop: In Search of the Lost Chord” – 14th September 1968

12. I’ve Got a Dream – BBC TV “Colour Me Pop: In Search of the Lost Chord” – 14th September 1968

13. A Beautiful Dream – BBC TV “Colour Me Pop: In Search of the Lost Chord” – 14th September 1968

14. Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood – BBC TV “Colour Me Pop: In Search of the Lost Chord” – 14th September 1968

15. Peak Hour – BBC TV “Colour Me Pop: In Search of the Lost Chord” – 14th September 1968

16. Dr. Livingstone, I Presume – BBC TV “Colour Me Pop: In Search of the Lost Chord” – 14th September 1968

17. Ride My See Saw – BBC TV “Colour Me Pop: In Search of the Lost Chord” – 14th September 1968

LP TRACKLISTING (Standard and D2C):

1CD TRACKLISTING

13. Voices in the Sky (mono)

14. Dr. Livingstone, I Presume (mono)

15. Ride My See Saw (mono) – Previously unreleased on CD

16. A Simple Game

17. Legend of a Mind (mono mix) – Previously unreleased

15. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

well hot damn. so they found the tapes I suppose? seems to have everything from the previous version and a bit more so a nice buy methinks.

what does D2C mean?

St. Troy and Defrance like this.
  16. Wow, that looks promising! Assuming the 5.1 mix is new, and not a vintage quad mix.

Shvartze Shabbos and fredblue like this.
  17. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

It's the one that never had a quad mix.

Very cool news. I love all those records, but thought the mixes on so many were...questionable. I think what the Moodies were doing in some ways sonically didn't have a lot of precedent, and so no one was quite sure how to mix it properly. Really interested to see what they do here.

18. Right, I just was never sure if a vintage quad mix was ever made, and then shelved. Regardless, assuming the price is reasonable I’ll be getting this set.

19. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    St. Troy, alx7 and Defrance like this.
  20. SJB

Terrific news for my ears, but this November is gonna kick my wallet's butt.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. SJB

Something's off with the video DVD track listing. They seem to have described everything as coming from Colour Me Pop, except for the first seven tracks which actually are from that program. This isn't a complaint about the actual product, of course, just sloppy copy editing by whoever prepared the press release.

I'm curious about the difference between CD 2, track 13:
    A Simple Game (Justin Hayward Vocal Mix / Remastered 2018)
    ... and CD 3, track 15:
    A Simple Game (Justin Hayward vocal version) – Mixed at Decca Studios, West Hampstead in September 1968

I'm guessing that the CD 2 version is remixed, and they called it "remastered" by mistake - that wouldn't be the first or fifth or five hundredth time someone who ought to know better has confused the two terms.

It seems there's only one version of "A Simple Game" with Mike Pinder on vocals - presumably the mono mix, because it's with all the mono singles. But at least one or two stereo mixes exist of Mike's version. Their omission is curious.

ajsmith likes this.
  22. I Have Been Floated

I Have Been Floated Duke of Kirkcaldy

23. SJB

It stands for "Direct to Consumer," presumably because the album will only be available by direct order, rather than sold in stores.

gojikranz likes this.
  24. nedwho

nedwho Forum Resident

25. nedwho

nedwho Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.